Professor Paddle: Paddlers moving to Wa. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Paddlers moving to Wa. Post Reply Post New Topic
Bmahood
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bmahood Replybullet Topic: Paddlers moving to Wa.
    Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 3:29pm
My wife and I are White Water paddlers and are moving to Olympia from the East Coast. We are looking to join a white water kayak club and to meet other paddlers. Can anyone suggest some good clubs to join? Also looking for recommendations for good Class III and Class III+ rivers to run.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 10:23am
Welcome.  The club scene out here might not be to the extent you're used to coming from the East Coast.  However, we do have a good, local club - the Washington Kayak Club or "WKC" - that organizes trips, training, and puts for some efforts towards local access and conservation.  Their website is http://www.washingtonkayakclub.org/

The WKC is a good resource for trips up to the class III / III+ range, with the occasional IV tossed in here and there.  Those club trips are great for learning our local rivers, and they provide a good way to meet paddlers with similar interests.  While the overall club trip offerings might not be overwhelming, there is a (somewhat) hidden club-related social scene that resides more through social network / email generated communication than it does through club website posted trips.  Sign up for a few trips, be proactive in meeting and sharing contact info with fellow paddlers who share similar interests, and you'll likely find yourself looped into some of these weekly paddling communications. 

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 4:55pm
Welcome to the NW! There are some good options close to OLY, Nisqually and Toutle. MIddle Middle of Snoqualmie and Green Lower gorge are good places to start. The Wenatchee on the East side of the Mountains is the Classic play run and it is easy to hook up with paddlers over there as well. I live here in Olympia as well so feel free to private message me if you have any questions. Looking forward to paddling with you!

Mark
Bmahood
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Bmahood Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 5:39pm
Tried to respond from my phone today but not sure it sent. Sound pretty much like our experience on the East Coast. We belong to a few clubs and do some club trips but over the years have developed a relationship with a large number of paddlers that we communicate with on social media. Already joined the WKC last night and reviewed some of their scheduled trips. When my wife and I get to the west coast we will join a few of the trips and begin developing relationships with folks that have similar paddling skills and desires.

Thanks again for the information. Hope to paddle with you sometime
Bmahood
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Bmahood Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 5:41pm
Thanks, sounds great! My wife and I will be moving out there sometime early summer. We will be in touch and hope to paddle with you.

We are purchasing a house on the West side of Olympia.

Have a great evening
Courtney Nipper
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Courtney Nipper Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 5:58pm
You know a paddler named Andy Shirey or a guy named Dane by any chance? We are originally from Georgia and are good friends with those guys.
Bmahood
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Bmahood Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 6:04pm
Sorry, we dont know them. We typically paddle in Eastern Pa, Western Pa, NY, and Mass.

Cant wait to hit the rivers in Wa
Courtney Nipper
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Courtney Nipper Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:31pm
For some reason I thought you were from Birminham, Alabama. Whoops! When you get to town let us know. My husband and I are happy to show you down some rivers.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version