Professor Paddle: Solo Boating vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Solo Boating Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Solo Boating
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 2:07pm
What are your thoughts on Solo Boating? I know this is a completely person choice for each person, but I'd like to hear what people's personal criteria or suggestions are on when someone could/should start to go on solo trips.

I've heard boat a class lower than your top skills, so if you are a class 3 boater, boat class 2. Make sure you have a solid roll. Have the run you are going to do basically memorized or feel very comfortable on said run before soloing, for a few examples.

Any other pearls of wisdom or advice?

Stories also appreciated
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
outdoorjunkie88
Paddler
Paddler

Quote outdoorjunkie88 Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 3:54pm
I think it depends on what the purpose is. I like to solo to really get into the back country and be isolated. I could also see doing solo runs if you are training or practicing for an event. I also learn the river a lot better if I am on my own, I tend to paddle better.

I def wouldn't push my limits, well except for that one or two times but I like a good adventure. and lets be realistic, most likely the worst case scenario is that you lose your gear and you have to hike out. It's not like a free solo climb, at least for me.

I get in more trouble when I'm with the group and they all go over some epic rapid that is probably above my skill level but I go anyway.
dinsdalw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote dinsdalw Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 4:27pm
i'm probably a bit out of the mainstream on this topic. i often paddle by myself, probably a third to half the times i paddle. i have taken a few solo paddling trips out of the country (canada, mexico, chile) and at this point have spent a lot of time paddling hard and remote runs by myself. it is a mixed bag. i feel i paddle better when paddling alone because i am able to concentrate and focus more intently than i ever can while with a group. but if you have problems and swim your boat will probably be lost or destroyed. wild places feel more majestic alone in my opinion, but it's great to share the adventures kayaking can get you with others. i find my appetite for paddling alone diminishing with time because it's a real pain to jog, bike or hitchhike every shuttle.

all that said i've made some really bad judgment calls putting in on runs i didn't know at dubious flows. i put on tumwater canyon above the wall at 9500 cfs on the peshastin gauge having never paddled the run before and planning to boat scout my way down. i swam in the wall and an aghast spectator called the police. after recovering my gear and starting the run up to my vehicle an officer picked me up and was surprisingly respectful; he didn't even call me stupid.

i hiked past the normal 22 waterfalls put-in to the top of the canyon on the rio claro in chile and ended up running a section that had a bunch of horrible crack drops and unscoutable class 5 disappearing out of sight around blind corners in a 3 to 10 foot wide slot canyon. one particularly memorable drop had a tiny shelf above it i could get out on to scout. i looked at this thing and damn near started crying. it dropped about 10 feet into a seething cauldron with undercut walls and then fell another 15 feet out of view with a large limbo log right at the lip with about 1 foot of clearance. i flipped in the first drop and went down the second one upside down and backward, felt a violent acceleration and tumult, rammed into a wall, broke one of the foot braces on impact and sloppily rolled up into a calm corridor.

these kind of experiences will start to pile up into an undifferentiated and desensitizing set of impressions if you paddle by yourself a lot. probably the biggest safety benefit i get from paddling with others is not the occasional presence of a throw bag at a tough rapid but the better judgment that others can interject when i'm trying to make good decisions.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
TomS
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote TomS Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:22am
A great read on solo boating is New York Exposed: The Whitewater State. It is a guide book but Dennis Squires soloed a significant number of New York rivers including many by first descent. In addition to the guide he tells the story of running the river which included some significant injuries but also some hilarious stuff. Dennis died boating in New Zealand (not when soloing) and the proceeds go to his family.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:01pm
If dinsdalw wrote a book I would buy it. :)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
itchy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote itchy Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:22pm
I've paddled alone a lot, mostly park and play or longer (sometimes multiday) Class I-II, but have paddled Class IV alone as a Class IV boater when I was younger.

I think that how hard you push yourself and what you paddle relative to what you'd run with your normal group is up to you; I wouldn't worry about a rule like sticking a class below what you normally paddle.  It depends on the run (both the dangers of the run, and whether it’s the type of run where someone else’s help would actually be useful in the event of an accident).  But it also depends on you, how you feel, and the experience you’re looking for.

Unlike disdalw, I paddle a lot worse alone, and I learn much more slowly.  I spent two years playboating alone, 3-7 days a week when the rivers weren’t frozen because there weren’t very many other boaters (this was in southeast Michigan).  Despite boating very frequently, and really focusing on technique, my technique barely improved (though I did get in better shape).

There are a few factors here.  One of them is that I really learn a lot by watching other people, of any skill level. Another is that it’s easy to wear yourself out quickly when playboating alone, because you don’t stop and rest as much (or I don’t at least). I also can get caught up daydreaming when I’m boating alone and get sloppy. This isn’t a problem for the big rapids but it could be on the littler stuff that isn’t as expected.  It’s also a problem for me playboating; I just won’t commit to refining a move as much. I suppose a little bit of it is caring more about carping in front of friends than alone, and I push myself harder with friends.

Additionally, I simply enjoy paddling alone less than with friends.  I really like the camaraderie of boating.  I used to dig adventuring alone and did it regularly, but now I rarely seek it out.  I still explore new places (by truck, bike or on foot) alone or w/ dog, and that works out because I don't have to worry about other people wanting to turn back or go at a different pace or whatever.  But the shuttle and dog factors make exploring alone by boat harder.
ckoontz
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ckoontz Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:16am
I haven't done it very often but usually on something I'm really comfortable on. Really fun to link up a run or bike shuttle. If it's a harder run I'd maybe walk some rapids I'd normally run if I were with a good crew.

It really heightens your senses and awareness of surroundings. I find that my focus is much sharper as well.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:12am
[QUOTE=ckoontz]Really fun to link up a run or bike shuttle..

The SF Calawah out by Forks makes for a wonderful solo "link up" run.  You bike the road, hike the trail, and boat a beautiful river within ONP.  It's one of my favorites for solo.  It's also a great option if you're out camping on the OP with a partner that doesn't boat.  You can enjoy a very beautiful hike together to the put-in.  Then while you boat, they hike back out and drive down to meet you at the take-out.  It seems to time out quite well.  I've done it that way a few times, and it seems each time we get to the take-out within minutes of each other.     
Matt Haverly
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Matt Haverly Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:56pm
Megspk,

I know your main topic for this thread is solo boating but you bring up another one - having a solid roll (in your suggestions).

In my opinion, you shouldn't even be on the river if you don't have a solid roll, regardless of if you say you never tip. I'm hard line on that. Before I did my first river run I had 100 percent roll in the pool. Now I have 100 percent on-side and off-side roll in pool on all 4 boats, and have done a lot of rolls now in "combat" situations on the river with about a 90 percent success rate.

Now my focus isn't on the roll during practice so much as it is on play skills in the pool, which is a great way to occasionally tip yourself and be forced to do a more real world brace or roll even when in the static and less challenging confines of a pool, and the strength and fitness conditioning focusing on play kayaking seems to really noticeably increase using pool time for that (I often do 2 pool sessions per week).

My first river run, a lady had us all introduce ourselves and talk about our skillset and form a strategy. This is not the norm. The first thing I would make note of is - is there anyone in the group that absolutely cannot roll.

I learned to roll on my 3rd pool session. I have tought brand new people to roll who have never been in a river kayak - to roll in a single pool session - and with 90 percent success by the end of that session.

Regardless of whether you are going solo or not, I wouldn't even really feel safe in a group without a very consistent roll.

Edited by Matt Haverly - 24 Feb 2016 at 4:49pm
Matt Haverly
Sultan, Washington
matthaverlymobile@gmail.com
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 2:00pm
I don't think you should deny people river time if they don't have a roll. I think you should definitely make good choices about safe rivers to take them on, but the roll doesn't come immediately for everyone. Plus it's good practice rescuing boats, people, and gear. Kayaking without a roll really motivates people to learn how to paddle effectively so they don't flip as much.

Just because people can get their roll in the pool doesn't mean their roll is going to work everytime they attempt one while they are on the river. Typically you have much more gear on in the river and this can throw a good roll off, especially if you never wear a lifejacket at roll sessions. Rolling in a real "combat" situation is very different, you are getting pushed around by current or a hole that can be pretty turbulent and disorienting. The water can work with you or against you in the "combat" situation also.   There are also rocks to deal with. Practicing your "river roll" takes time and real life river experiences and you will swim.

Why deny someone who is likely to swim a nice fun safe river trip? Ya gotta learn somehow!

Edited by megspk - 24 Feb 2016 at 10:05pm

Matt Haverly
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Matt Haverly Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 2:21pm
Anything that can be learned in a pool, should be learned in a pool prior. Be it a roll, brace, wet exit, basic strokes, or even just setting up your boat well. It might only take a couple pool sessions, possibly even just one.

Even with wet exits, you have to not just know them in the pool. With wet exits, you have to be able to do them with cold, dark water. You have to be able to do them with gloves on. You have to be able to do them with full gear on. You have to be able to do them not just when you flip on purpose to practice but when they surprise you.

I watched two veteran kayakers take their young boy on a class 2+ river in January. They said he had a hot roll in the pool and had been boating and "never tips". He had never boated with gloves on, and never done a roll in a fast section of a cold river. They took him on an aggressive ferry and he immediately flipped, and could not roll, and could not even wet exit because of gloves and because of shock of real cold river scenario. One of the parents had to grab him and flip him back up. This happens. He was freaked. I told the father, "what you need to do is make sure that he can do a roll and a wet exit in this water near the bank with close supervision right away, or he may never get in that boat again." "Nah" he said - he'll be fine. We'll just get him down the river." They immediately did the same thing again (flipped, and could not roll or wet exit), and this time he was beyond freaked out. Inconsolable. Crying. And it could have been avoided - just making sure the skill was tried in a controlled environment near the bank before charging into a cold river with gear without testing out survival skills safely.

This is where I believe the group thing can actually steer you wrong at times and become a bias factor when professional kayaking reputations and their family legacy comes into play.

I am big on first things first. People can do what they want but not with me if they can't roll, and especially if they have never wet exited in cold fast water with gear.

Not that this is more or less important than any other safety consideration like river choice, etc.

Edited by Matt Haverly - 24 Feb 2016 at 4:48pm
Matt Haverly
Sultan, Washington
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:11pm
Matt,
You have a good point about wet exiting with new gear. I think D4 had an experience with toaster mitts he wouldn't like to repeat.

I think rolling should be learned fairly early on, but getting a feel for the water with braces and strokes is crucial to learning a good roll. I have no problem taking people out on easy water without them having a roll, as long as they're working on it. Not that I'm recommending it, but there are a number of boaters who've been around a long time who can't roll. I mean, Walt Blackadar had a textbook horsesh*t roll by all accounts and he knocked off first descents of 2 of the big 3 in Alaska. Near the end of his career he basically couldn't roll, swimming out of Lava on the GC..repeatedly for the camera (Never Turn Back: The life of whitewater pioneer Walt Blackadar. Buy it. Read it.)

Now as to the original topic..
I boat solo on a couple of hometown runs. Sometimes it's because no one else can boat, and sometimes because I want to paddle alone. I really treasure my time when I get to boat solo for a lot of reasons. I'm not going to list them all because if you don't know, you just need to go try it and see for yourself. As long as you're within your abilities it's worth finding out if you like it or not.

As for boating at or below your top level, I personally solo a class IV run here that ends with a solid IV+/V-. I wouldn't necessarily do that on other rivers but I know this one very well and paddle it every day for work. I'm not a superman paddler but I've been kayaking for almost 10 years and have the judgement I think I need. Now, someone who has been paddling class III for a year might not have the same judgement and awareness to make paddling solo a good idea. Who knows?

Oh, one more point about rolling..Two things happen really commonly: 1) someone spends hours learning to roll and never gets it..then they give up and quit before they get to experience whitewater. 2)They spend hours learning it, get it, then hate kayaking once they're on the river. I think it's better to just find out right away if they have what it takes to stick with it. Not that we need people flocking to the sport but I try to stack the deck in my favor with a new boater.

Edited by BrianP - 24 Feb 2016 at 5:16pm
Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:26pm
Yip....I styled the sky solo this afternoon....one flip and one portage....damn where was everyone!   Canada?
outdoorjunkie88
Paddler
Paddler

Quote outdoorjunkie88 Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:34pm
ive never been to a pool session and paddle 4-5. first two years of learning was solo because i was living in michigan where their isn't much of a boating community. Best place to learn is on the rivers and a little youtube can give you some extra courage.
WhiteWaterWheat
Paddler
Paddler

Quote WhiteWaterWheat Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:48pm
Matt, I just want to chime in real quick to your roll argument.

Yes, having a roll makes kayaking much more enjoyable for you and your friends. But in the end, everybody swims. It will happen, and learning to swim in moving water is a vital skill. A skill best learned in class II rather than class IV or V.

Moving water is very different than a pool, and it doesn't all transfer. SO be kind to the fellow boaters learning to kayak. A solid roll in whitewater comes with time.
You only get the chance to run a drop blind once.
Matt Haverly
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Matt Haverly Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:00pm
WhiteWaterWheat -

Yeah - not all basic safety skills like wet exits, bracing, and rolls transfer directly from pool to river. But the approach should be you should approach the river with caution knowing aspects will be different and require more strategy to keep the consequences low and the fun high. But at the same time, If you can't do it in the pool, you probably can't do it in the river, and consequences will be lower guaranteed in the pool.

And yeah - same with class 2 - even at a variety of flows - minimizes consequences to learn things there, and learn them well as opposed to jumping into class 4. First things first without skipping steps is always safest if you want to minimize consequences and maximize fun and avoid any type of trauma that could make a beginner never want to kayak again.

Solo is a whole different thing and much more individual - because it can be. Never really done a solo run to date.

Edited by Matt Haverly - 24 Feb 2016 at 6:01pm
Matt Haverly
Sultan, Washington
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by WhiteWaterWheat

...learning to swim in moving water is a vital skill. A skill best learned in class II rather than class IV or V.

That is such a good point. Mike says he swam every weekend for the first few years he started kayaking. Granted he scoffs at fear and swims like a tuna. A different personality or level of swimmer might be traumatized and would be better off approaching things differently. I guess one of the points is that it's a pretty individual sport and not everyone learns to roll easily or has the same head game.

I understand your frustration Matt at seeing someone become traumatized when it was preventable, and I do agree with you that it makes sense to do everything you can to become good at rolling because it is an indispensable part of the sport and a lot of fear can build up just from being afraid of missing rolls and swimming.  For the same reason though, I think it's also really healthy to learn to swim on Class II and III as you're stepping things up so that swimming is not the end of the world and the eventual swims on harder stuff (which will happen) aren't the ones where you're just at that point learning how to deal with it. Not being used to swimming in whitewater and then having your first big swims on IV (and the occasional V) kind of sucks. Or so I've heard. ;)

imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:49am
If you are competent enough to think about boating solo & you dont push your limits while doing so and take every chance to be extra careful then it is ok. Thats the acceptable answer....

In my opinion though it is a shining aspect of the sport. Paddling Soul-o is an entirely different experience, it allows me personally to focus & stay calm more easily.
At a certain level we should all have the skills to mitigate risk & respond well in the face of an accident or mishap... but realistically if the spread of the Gobro has illustrated anything, it is that lots of folks & even groups paddling class IV regularly dont have those skills.
A consistent roll is easy to come by but the wisdom & muscle memory to combine that roll with braces and strokes to deal with whatever hole or rowdy ass rapid you are heading down comes from first hand experience...
And as has been said swimming & reacting in a rapid is just as important as paddling your boat through one.
I found it easier to overcome that stricken fear once I was upside down alone & think myself through a roll, than say if I was with a group, early on. I have swam many times more with groups than solo.
So just like all of the choices when you are alone ,paddling solo is a personal choice & shouldnt rely on others input.

Edited by imageAK - 25 Feb 2016 at 10:41pm
aint nobody got time for that!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 7:14am
Matt- I appreciate your incremental approach to learning to kayak. It's not the norm. Many go paddling first and discover the love for the river and then learn to roll. I've taken my son down the rio many times and he has zero roll. He's swam out of his boat on several occasions, but not more than me yet.
Safety is always a prime consideration, but this sport is inherently dangerous, and each person has their own individual level of tolerance for risk. Many folks learn best in a safe structured environment, but not all.      
As for solo boating, as some have mentioned, it can narrow our focus and bring the worlds moments into a sharper more clear sense of vibrancy. For some it brings out the best in their talents. Personally, I like company in my moments of challenge, though it wasn't always that way. In my early days of paddling I did a lot of solo boating, but almost never outside my perceived skill set in relation to the challenge. To be sure I didn't raise the bar paddling solo, as some in our community have been able to do.
That said, paddling solo can provide the aspiring novice or intermediate with the opportunity to work on developing skills provided the run offers the appropriate level of challenge.
One other note. Over the years I have noticed a change in myself regarding my way of paddling. Early on, I rarely spent much time 'thinking' about boating. It was just something one spent time doing. Now, with youtube, books, and instructional videos we do lots of thinking about it. This can carry over onto the river, indeed it should if we are intentionally practicing a skill, but I have noticed a tendency to overthink things, rather than just turn off the mind, and allow the 'animal' in us do what we do.    

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 7:44am
I solo boat all the time. Usually after work in a public type of area like Kanasak Palmer park or the Cedar Slolum course for excersize. I have done some high risk solo boating, but I decided not to do that anymore. Even in a public area the risk is high and there is no rescue if somethiing goes very wrong. But, I usually am being very conservative when solo boating and stay solid and as safe as possible. I dont like work out clubs, so this is my main source of excersize all year long... I think I am nearing the 30 year mark for whitewater kayaking also and probably didnt start solo boating until after 10-15 years of experience.

Edited by dave - 25 Feb 2016 at 7:45am
Nomad
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by imageAK

Class 4 boaters swim alllllll the time.

I respectfully disagree.  Yes, everyone swims.  I swim.  But what I've seen is that class IV boaters seldom swim, especially when boating within their comfort zone of class IV.  In fact, within that comfort zone, they probably seldom flip, unless playing.  Even when they step it up, they likely have the mindset, river presence, and a solid enough roll to minimize their swims in harder water.  Swimming class V is not trivial. 

However, I'm sure many non class IV boaters do swim while attempting to boat class IV rivers.  There's a difference in being a class IV boater and boating class IV.          
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by huckin harms

One other note. Over the years I have noticed a change in myself regarding my way of paddling. Early on, I rarely spent much time 'thinking' about boating. It was just something one spent time doing. Now, with youtube, books, and instructional videos we do lots of thinking about it. This can carry over onto the river, indeed it should if we are intentionally practicing a skill, but I have noticed a tendency to overthink things, rather than just turn off the mind, and allow the 'animal' in us do what we do.    

This is a great observation about recent years of boating and new boaters. Actually going out and kayaking and learning on the river is invaluable.   I would listen to a well experienced kayaker over someone who read all the books but hasn't actually put their blade to the water.

I also agree with the over thinking. Sometimes it takes the "fun" out of learning to kayak. It may even restrict you in your progress.

Tough crowd here. Can't believe I got negative props for encouraging people to take new boaters out.

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 9:19am
You can't set safety if you're solo.

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:21am
You could get negative props on this and almost any site for saying anything including 'let's heal the sick and feed the poor.' Don't worry about it.

Edited by irenen - 25 Feb 2016 at 10:22am
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:28am
I think if you're going to solo boat just make sure friends and family know your timeline and where you will be paddling than don't deviate from that plan.

I don't know if there are statistics regarding rescues but if you're paddling the high classes there is likely a false sense of security when you paddle with a crew.

Also, paddling solo makes the shuttle difficult...especially in Estonia
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version