Professor Paddle: William Nealy's book - "KAYAK" vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: William Nealy's book - "KAYAK" Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by irenen

It's a mix, isn't it?

You are right Irene
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 4:15pm
I think this has some good info on paddling technique - dude was a former Olympic flat water racer:
http://www.micheleramazza.com/en/technique/129-how-to-paddle-kayak-technique
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 5:01pm
Nealy was essential to learning how to paddle in the 90's! Love it.

So, on the paddle note, this will sound weird....

I'm 5'8" and I use a 197. I have a bent shaft but I choke up, inside of the bent grip. I feel (personally) that all of the bent shaft paddles have the bent portion way too wide for my shoulders. I've tried Accent, AT and of course Werner. All too wide. That being said, I still like having the bent shaft because my roll sucks and I like to be able to reposition my hands when the paddle gets gorked out of my grip while I'm beatering. You can immediately tell whats wrong by sliding your hand up the paddle, feeling for where your pinky meets the beginning of the bend.

That make any sense???

T-Rex grip for life!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:32am
Here is some good footage of Marco who uses what I would consider a very wide grip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnCY_RQHdpI

Here is video of another buddy who uses a very narrow grip:
https://vimeo.com/132134819

These guys are both great paddlers, using very different techniques.

If you think of your paddle as a lever, the longer the lever, the more power you can exert on your blades. One of the biggest downsides of of the narrow grip is your lose accuracy with your blades.

To demonstrate this, sit on the ground with your paddle, and pick a point on the ground you want to touch with your paddle blade. Try to touch that exact point using both a very narrow and very wide grip. You will see it's far easier to touch that point with the wide grip.

It's a balancing act between getting that leverage a narrow grip gives you, and the accuracy of the wide grip. As a beginning paddler, you don't really have a lot of technical paddle skills, and often times you don't know where you should be putting your paddle. That narrow grip will work well because it will give you a lot of power. It also allows you to keep your hands more centered in relation to your body. This adds another element of stability that a wider grip takes away.

When you envision the arms at right angles hand position, you will see that your wrists are unbent. Keeping your wrists straight is another advantage of this hand position. You are transferring a lot more of the paddling forces to a much larger and stronger joint. If you watch the paddling technique video I posted earlier, you will see him talking a lot about keeping your wrists straight. I would say that wrist pain is nearly as common as shoulder pain among paddlers. Keeping your wrists straight during paddle strokes - see ~1:48 in that video for a good demonstration - will really help prevent that.

NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Matt Haverly

I just finished reading the book last night.

Another thing that jumps out at me as I read it is how frequently he recommends reverse sweeps, or reverse "slaps" for many types of illustrated scenarios.

Some people are really resistant to the idea of using any reverse sweep/rudder/brake stroke at all, and recommend a sweep on the right as opposed to a reverse stroke of any kind on the left. The book reinforces an idea that I like - that there is a place for every stroke and much of that has to do with your speed vs. the speed of the current, and what your desired speed is. If I am already going too slow to punch a hole and I need to change boat angle prior to it, I will probably sweep. If I am already in fast water and going faster than the water, I can probably do some type of braking reverse stroke. Although you hear many people demonize any braking strokes of any kind.

Doublepostin' JP style...

I started out in a playboat on the Wenatchee, and for whatever reason I developed the habit of doing a lot of braking/reverse sweep strokes. When I started running more technical rivers in creek boats, I got punished for this bad habit. Traveling slower than the speed of the river is a recipe for all sorts of trouble.

Even though it's not the same as a 'reverse slap' I consider a low brace to often be a bit of a slap. I would encourage your to focus on low bracing over high bracing. It is a much faster stroke to execute, helps you maintain a much more stable position, and is far easier/safer on your shoulders.

At the pool sessions I've been to, it seems like high braces are a really popular thing for people to work on. To use a skiing analogy, it's like leaning back on your skis to save yourself from a wreck. The minute you lean back you're putting yourself into a terrible position for whatever is downhill from you.

meryl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote meryl Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 6:39am
I disagree that braking/reverse sweep strokes are bad. It may be a bad habit to use them in situations where you really need to focus more on speed, but they allow for very fast and tight turning. Personally, I frequently travel slower than the current. Maybe that is never a good idea on class V or more creeks, I dunno, but it's served me pretty well up to class IV so far, and I'm never gonna do anything harder than that.
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 10:21am
Interesting change of topic, and timely! I felt like sh*t paddling yesterday because I'm off the couch and was paddling super lazy. By that I mean generally traveling slow and using a lot of braking strokes to turn. On a deeper, slower run I paddle that way a lot (Like the stretch we paddled when you guys visited Meryl). Yesterday was my second run for the season on a IV-V creek, shallow with big slides and lots of fu*k you rocks. I'll just say that in that instance, going slow and using a lot of braking strokes led me to run a bunch of sh*t sideways. Not that either way is wrong, perhaps just a situational difference..that and I'm way out of shape.

Edited by BrianP - 21 Mar 2016 at 10:22am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version