Professor Paddle: Border Boats vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Border Boats Post Reply Post New Topic
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iron monkey Replybullet Topic: Border Boats
    Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:56pm
Does anyone have experience with buying a boat in Canada, from a retail store or private party. I'm looking at a couple boats both options from our friends in the north.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm
I bought a boat a few years ago in Canada. Found it on craigslist and spent only about 20 minutes in Canada making the deal, then spent the next hour or so in customs getting my car searched and having lots of questions asked.
The border guys said I needed a receipt for a craigslist purchase and that's why they searched us.
I suggest if you are buying boats, make a paper receipt even for personal exchanges, keep store receipts (obviously), and be smart, don't take anything "illegal" with you ;)
I'm thinking they like to search kayakers!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:17pm
Did you have to pay any taxes, fees tariffs, fines?
ellsw121
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ellsw121 Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:23pm
I just did, no taxes as long as the shop stamps your receipt. Just show that to customs they will stamp and send you on your way. Just get proof of purchase.
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the info.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:39pm
No taxes, just a hard time. They said if I had even a handwritten receipt that would have sufficed! Good luck :)
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

JugheadF15
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JugheadF15 Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 9:44am
How did they know you just bought the boat and did't have it with you when you drove into Canada?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Butchv
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Butchv Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 6:02am
I bought a demo boat from these folks. http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/

They gave me a reciept that needed to be stamped at the border. It took 3 minutes with most of the time spent waiting for the border guy to find the stamp. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Butch
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 8:09am
If you're buying a used boat from a private party in Canada, you still might owe taxes when you cross back to the US.  Here are the rules:

Limits for U.S. Residents

If you're a U.S. resident visiting Canada for less than 48 hours, you can bring back $200 worth of goods duty-free. For stays longer than 48 hours, the duty-free limit rises to $800. This $800 limit can only be used once every 30 days. If you return for another shopping trip in less than 30 days and have already purchased $800 worth of goods, your limit drops down to $200. People who live in the same house can combine their duty-free limits, but they must travel together.

However, the market for used WW boats is absolute crap these days, and with the Canadian dollar worth 75 cents US, you can get some really great deals on a used boat up north. 

So... if you buy a used boat from a private party on a day trip to Canada, you're probably safe reporting a sale price a little higher than the limit, maybe $250 US or so.  If you spent more on the boat, you've got a few options:  1)  tell the truth and pay the tax.  2)  report a sale price of $250 or so, or 3) stay up north for 48 hours and the report the true sales price at the border (up to $800.)

The thing about Option 2 is that there are so many cheap-as-dirt plastic rec boats around these days, unless the border agent is an experienced kayaker, he/she is not going to be able to tell the difference between a quality WW boat and a POS K-Mart Special.  So it's entirely plausible if you choose to report a sales price around $250 or so.  Especially if the boat has the usual scratches.

Anyhow, you have lots of options!  Choose the one that works for you.
Don't waste water!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version