Professor Paddle: Deschutes vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Deschutes Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Deschutes
    Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 6:56am
So I've never been on the Deschutes, but I'm looking to do a multiway out there, potentially by raft.
Is this a permitted river? If so what's the best way to obtain one?
What section would be good for 3 days? I'm looking for class 3, with little class 4.
Are there places down there to rent rafts from?
Also has anyone been out there lately? Just wondering if it's super busy since not many rivers are running....
Shuttle service needed?
Ok thanks ahead of time!
Cheers,
Megan
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
melger
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote melger Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 1:53pm
I organized a trip last summer - it is a fun time and a mellow river.  Bring lots of beer!

Yes, you need a permit.  I believe they do 100 per day, and you can buy them ahead of time on www.boaterpass.com.  They don't check permits at the put-in, but if you do run into a ranger. . you'll want to have one as they are required.

We put in at mecca flats and took out at sandy beach (above shearers falls).  we did 3 days and took off about 1pm on the 3rd day.  This is the lower deschutes.

River Trails is a good spot for rental rafts.  They have all the gear (coolers, dry boxes, etc) and will drop off and pickup at the put in/take out. 

Linda's river shuttle is who we used. 

Edited by melger - 03 Aug 2015 at 1:55pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:21am
Definitely in the class III range. Hardest rapid on the mecca to sandy beach section is Oak Springs, but III+ at best (not IV as claimed).
The section below Shearers falls (buck hollow to the confluence, heritage landing) is also pretty awesome. Slightly different scenery (more canyon like), feels more remote, some sandy beaches, and I always thought the water felt slightly warmer than the upper (the water is cool b/c it comes out the bottom of the pelton dam). My theory was always that the aeration from Shearers falls warms the water slightly, but who knows, probably all in my head. This section is also a three day with the third being more of a half day, depending on how you camp. There is a restriction on the lower in the last 10 miles I believe which prohibits floaters from stopping/camping on shore b/c use is granted to walk ins.

Also, there is a restriction on camping on islands on both the mecca to sandy and buck to heritage sections.

I guided both of these sections, a lot, for about seven years. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Wave Sport
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:22am
Oh, and even though there are toilets at most camps on the mecca to sandy section, you still need a toilet with you, or you will get fined.
Wave Sport
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:08am
Thank you!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

mprussak
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mprussak Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 10:06am
Never been there, but if you're looking for extra bodies, I might be down depending on the date, and I've got a buddy who oar rigged the grand, and he might be free as well.
Marek Prussak     206-465-2055
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version