Professor Paddle: Upper Sultan Release Labor Day? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Sultan Release Labor Day? Post Reply Post New Topic
msims
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote msims Replybullet Topic: Upper Sultan Release Labor Day?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:53pm
Has anyone heard anything about another Sultan release?

At the previous release in April, the PUD folks mentioned offering another opportunity around Labor Day.

Would it better out chances to reach out to them and show interest?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Quote runawayjim Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:10pm
Update. Possible release Sat 9/12 with 400 cfs. If interested, fill out the survey by tomorrow. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7ZN3LMR

Email from Tom O'Keefe below
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sultan River__8.27.15 email
I am sending this email out to those of you who have boated on the Sultan River or have otherwise expressed an interest in this project.

After much discussion among the various agencies involved in determining how to respond to the regional drought situation and what that means for ecological process flows on the Sultan River this fall, there will be a pulse flow on the Sultan River next month.

Flows will be lower than we had planned but will still provide a boating opportunity. The utility will release 400cfs from the dam which is within the range for a technical trip. They are willing to do this on a weekend (Saturday, 9/12/15) but I need to let them know if we are interested in this by this Friday, 8/28/15. In my experience, this flow still makes for a fun day on the section downstream of the diversion dam (folks may want to hike in there instead of hiking in to the trail at Culmback Dam).

Please fill out this quick survey if you are interested.

If you have enjoyed this opportunity and want to support my time to continue participating in the regular meetings with the resource agencies where we discuss instream flows, please consider a special contribution to American Whitewater. Your support allows the interest of whitewater paddlers to have a seat at the table.

For those of you wondering about the Chelan Gorge, fire crews are currently using the park and facilities owned by Chelan PUD. At this time, we expect a whitewater event will take place this fall. Chelan is eager to have some visitors in what has been a challenging tourist season. I informed the PUD that we would be respectful of the situation however and determine what the best course of action is as we approach. We will monitor the situation and you can watch our website for updates. And if you are interested, please be sure to sign up and Chelan PUD will keep you informed.

Thomas O'Keefe, PhD
Pacific Northwest Stewardship Director
American Whitewater

Edited by runawayjim - 27 Aug 2015 at 2:12pm
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:12am
Could someone speak to what the character of rapids below the diversion dam might be like at 400 cfs? Was there much wood on the last release?
msims
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote msims Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 5:47pm
Not much wood in that section that I remember, especially compared to the 1st portion of river from culmback to the diversion dam. Good quality 4ish boulder gardens. The section from the diversion dam to the "normal" putin was felt to be the best and most "classic" section of river by the group I was part of.

As far as what to expect at 400cfs? Idk. In April, the target flow was 700 cfs and it felt like medium. I imagine that, at 400cfs, it will be a bit boney, some features will lack a punch but rapids will be passable. 400cfs will either be a minimum or fall below some folks' personal minimum.

Edited by msims - 28 Aug 2015 at 5:48pm
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 7:24pm
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out how hard I should try and get off work. Even if it is ELF it should be awesome. Tom, or anyone familiar, why do you suggest hiking into the diversion as opposed to Culback dam? Do you think that section will be a low water suffer fest? Thanks guys!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 9:07pm
The upper canyon felt a little low last release and has a lot of wood. Lower canyon not so much and a cleaner feel.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:30am
Is it on for this weekend?
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Quote runawayjim Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:32pm
Sure looks like it. Just make sure to sign up b/c a min of 6 paddlers are needed, although after the turnout at last release I doubt that will be an issue. Looks like we can drop boats at the trailhead this time to shorten up the hike if you decide to put-in at the Culmback Dam.

Putting in at the diversion may not be allowed but I have not confirmed this. "Another put-in and take-out option exists at the Diversion Dam (RM 9.7); however, due to safety and logistical concerns, this alternative must be approved and coordinated with the PUD, City of Everett, and American Whitewater staff well advance of any whitewater event."

It also looks like they are taking the sign-ups a bit more seriously this time and everyone will be issued wristbands.

AW Post: https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/32415/

SnoPUD signup: http://www.snopud.com/?p=2118

SnoPUD release info: http://www.snopud.com/PowerSupply/hydro/jhp/jhpsultanriver.ashx?p=1505

Edited by runawayjim - 08 Sep 2015 at 12:51pm
Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 8:51pm
I'm signed up! Will be looking for a group to horn in with.....the mauler
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 10:45am
Any good stories?  Good run?
akayakermike
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote akayakermike Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 5:34pm
Fewer people (I saw 11 total) and knowing where the wood was made the upper bit more fun I thought. The section below the diversion dam was a bit manky, but not as bad as I had though and still very enjoyable.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version