Professor Paddle: Montana Paddling vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Montana Paddling Post Reply Post New Topic
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Topic: Montana Paddling
    Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 4:27pm
Hey, Im going to be in the Kalispell area next month and wondered if anyone knows of any good local runs near there. Its a bummer that Montana doesn't have a webpage like Propaddle. Any info is better then none.

Thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
itchy
Paddler
Paddler

Quote itchy Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 12:20pm
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/MT/

Tons of stuff running right now.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:28pm
I just got back from a weekend in Helena.  The Blackfoot and the Clark Fork seemed to have water in them
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:41pm
Do they have a forms like propaddle to connect with local paddlers? That's basically what I'm trying to find
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 3:22pm
Don't know of any resources, but maybe I can get you closer:

Never paddled it, but the Swan by Big Fork is close to Kalispell (looks like it is running). I ran into a couple boaters out there (don't have any names sorry) and it seemed like you usually find a few boaters there after work. I wonder if some business in Big Fork might be able to help with a hook up or at least have a better feel for the scene.

I have only paddled out there once - Main Stem of the Flathead near Polson. Not really worth it.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
CErickson12
Paddler
Paddler

Quote CErickson12 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 3:28pm
I was researching Flathead river and all the runs are some 20+ miles I found a local business that I'm going to call that does rentals and demos and see if they have any info. Why was Flathead not worth it?
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 4:18pm
It is a pretty short run starting from the Kerr Dam with (if I recall correctly) 2-3 short Class III rapids - and then a long float. If you are staying near Polson (I was), it is worth checking out. But driving the hour or so from Kalispell seemed a little long for the short run that it is. I shouldn't defame it too much - it was scenic and if you have time to kill, why not.

Not to be confused with the MF Flathead or SF or NF.

Here is the link for it:

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1002/

Edit: it's a 2 hour drive from Kalispell, but there is a Whitewater Park in Missoula.

Edited by Scott_H - 24 Jun 2015 at 4:21pm
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
anjin_san
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote anjin_san Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 2:40pm
Here is the MT beta: http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Surf-Nick-Turner/dp/0971604002 - its out of print so you have to get it online.  there isnt a online form in MT - kayaking has really slowed downt in MT in the last 5 yrs, but there is lots of good runs (I used to live in Bozeman).  If you have never been to the Kootenai, its a must.  Perhaps the the most action packed mile of class IV boating in the Rockies - big rapids, big water falls, huge eddie serve surf wave, (bring a play boat), road side, good camping near by...

If you like steep creeks, the Bitter Root range (near missoula) has some good options depending on flow (probably low in July).  The play park in Missoula is not really worth going out of you way for in July, nor are the other runs on the Clark Fork when they are low.  Look for damn releases on the Blackfoot - that one is a worthy mid summer trip.

I'd recommend popping into Glacier Raft Co. in Big Fork to get current local beta and look for other boaters.  Oh, bring some bear spray if you are going to camp out much in norther MT - plenty of griz up that way.  Hit me up if you have any specific questions, I just pulled a few randoms out the ol' river memory bank to point you in the right direction.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 2:18pm
You should specify what type of paddling you are looking for. Class V creeks? Playboating? River running? The Kootenai gets run, and has a 25-foot park-n-huck at Kootenai Falls. A little more exciting than the Clark Fork or Flathead.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version