Professor Paddle: NOTICE: Wenatchee Haus Run Put-In Change! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: NOTICE: Wenatchee Haus Run Put-In Change! Post Reply Post New Topic
millerhd
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote millerhd Replybullet Topic: NOTICE: Wenatchee Haus Run Put-In Change!
    Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:43am
A message to the whitewater world! The normal House Run put in outside of Osprey Rafting in Leavenworth is being monitored this year.

YOU MUST CHECK IN WITH OSPREY RAFTING BEFORE USING THIS PUT IN OR YOU WILL BE TOWED.

After some unfortunate events this winter as well as the parking lot getting a bit out of hand, Gary has decided to stay more aware of those using the put in on his private property.

You are still welcome to park at Osprey Rafting, but if you don't check in you will be towed and not welcome back.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 11:43am
Will they tow you if you use the put in but don't park at Osprey? I wasn't aware that the access on Rt 2 was on private property.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 12:10pm
According to the googles the access is in Okanogan-wenatchee NF, so I guess what I'm asking is the issue over the access or parking at Osprey?
978-273-7723
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 2:20pm
Parking. If you park on Osprey land, check in.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 3:07pm
Thanks, that makes more sense.
978-273-7723
mikefromTX
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikefromTX Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:21pm
I've had Gary stop the group I was with from putting in there next to the welcome to Leavenworth sign. We weren't parking there, just going to put on the river. He said it was a "liability" issue, and that we had to sign a waiver, but wouldn't let us do it because "he didn't have time". I also checked google and Chelan County PUD, and it would appear the put in belongs to the U.S. Forest Service. The trail is right on the property line between FS land and Private land, but from what I can see its on the USFS side. We didn't try to argue at the time, but seeing the layout now, I believe the put in is 100% on public land.
Mike Smith
425-422-5923
"Inspirational Quote" -Smart Guy
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:06pm
what liability could someone incur?  I've heard the same about Index.  Forgive me, I'm a newb
mikefromTX
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikefromTX Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:09pm
Split Rock is private property. OAC leases it and pays for the liability insurance to take out and put in there. All they ask is you fill out a waiver at the river house. They are very paddler friendly and just want continued access to the Split Rock takeouT for everyone.
Mike Smith
425-422-5923
"Inspirational Quote" -Smart Guy
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 6:56pm

Liability: So someone could trip and fall, break a leg or arm, and then try to sue the property owner...then that ruins the fun/access for all of us!  I'm sure there's many other situations that could occur too, that's just one example.

So be respectful, clean up after yourselves!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:23pm
I guess one can blow a junior high situation out of proportion... or.. abide by the land owner's request. "The dude abides." ~ the Dude  
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 8:48am
I don't think anyone is questioning whether it's a liability to park in the osprey lot without permission, what concerns me is osprey not allowing access to the "house run" put in. All maps point to that being on public land.

In regards to the Sky I'm curious if anyone has put in at the little park on the upstream side of the bridge on the North Fork Sky? I've been told that we are not allowed to put in at this park because the town of index doesn't want us to. Is this correct? I was told that they are concerned about liability but this is all hearsay as far as I'm concerned. The Sky is one of the highest use rivers in the immediate Seattle area yet the most common access areas are managed by a private entity. So my question is; is there public access on the NF Sky above the bridge?

I've been pushing to start using the Railroad access because I've always hated the Split Rock take out for reasons that everyone seems to agree upon (basically crossing the highway there is dangerous and an accident could lead to the closing of that access). The SF Access is great and I'm thankful for all the work that has been put in to make that a legitimate put in, but the NF sees just as much traffic.

I hate to turn this thread into a river access debate but I think it's a question worth asking.

Yes I know that signing a waiver every time I use the Wave Trek put in an take out isn't a "big deal" but on a matter of principle I would like to be able to access the river without having to be funneled through Wave Trek's store front every time I want to get an after work lap on the sky in. I also don't like the idea of monopolizing the parking right in front of a business like that, especially on a Saturday when there are lots of rafting trips going out and Wave Trek's customers need a close place to park.

So are there any solutions that come to mind?
978-273-7723
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 9:38am
So does osprey own it or what?
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 11:17am
So my input is just based on conjecture (what I have been told). Jed, you are correct in your statement that putting on the NF Sky at the Index river park (across from the Postoffice/Store) is indeed illegal. They (the town of Index) does consider it a liability, so I have been warned. The use of the RiverHouse putin does require the signing of a waiver, but that's a one time deal and they have always been super cool and welcoming of Kayakers using their access to rio. Parking can be an issue if there is an event in town or on the river, and it's always a good policy NOT to park right in front of their storefront. They (OAC) also manage the takeout at Split, and request that we use common sense, pick up trash, and don't park on the north side of Hwy (river side), as that seems to attract more tourons.

As for the House run, I know nothing... it sounds to me like if you plan to park at Osprey, then check in and sign a waiver- then boat. Otherwise use a Hwy2 pullout. I don't think Osprey is looking to control access to the House run, just their parking lot and access to rio from their property, which makes sense give the litigious age we live in.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 6:00pm
I've always wondered why we don't take out below railroad. Slightly more work I guess, but one more rapid and less stress running across hwy 2. Its only a matter of time before something terrible happens there.
Wave Sport
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 11:05pm
Common sense is all it takes. I can think of only one close call there and I'm not surprised who allegedly caused it. Allegedly..   
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:18am
Originally posted by water wacko

...only one close call there and I'm not surprised who allegedly caused it. Allegedly..   

I'm also not surprised who alledgedly prevented it, haha-

Been more close calls than that though. I know Mr. Simple Green (the Arch Nemisis of Mr. Clean- wait that's not the case they are actually quite chummy with each other) was the object of more than one such incident...

Yeah only a matter of time before the whole "Frogger" game at Split Rock bites us in the ass. All the more reason to keep the nudity, barley sodas, and Devil's Lettuce out of sight and out of mind. You are all welcome to join and participate in my lifestyle just don't jeopardize it. Split Rock is Key. Vital. Integral.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:26am
But this thread ain't about Split Rock.

Its about the Haus Run on the Wenatchee. Note das proper spelling.

Look, My man the Wacko Dude said it right. If you want to park at Gary's, you ought to respect the man and his property. If you don't have any kind of rationship with him or his company, or his Band of Merry Raft Guides, well, maybe ya just got no biz parking there like ya own da place.

That said, the actual put in commonly used is in fact FS property, so have at it. You just can't and shouldn't park at Osprey without permission. There are three places to park between the West end of Der Town and Exit. Figure it out.

Why has this topic lasted as long as it has? PPeeps must be bored. I'm trapped in an airport with a bunch of pudgy mugglez. What's your excuse?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
NightbeastNW
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote NightbeastNW Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:43pm
I know a guy that was previously the Law Enforcement Officer for the Forest Service. The metal pipes that run down to the river for launching rafts at the "Haus Run" =) are actually ON FOREST SERVICE LAND. like JP said, respect the parking lot and Gary's wishes or just park in a pullout. No one can stop you from using that put in as it is public land. Just put in below Exit and run Fast and The Furious. It's real good!
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:07pm
'nough said. Gary calls the shots on the Osprey parking lot. Everything west of the Willkommen sign is public. Get your haus run on, add on fast and furious, warm up on exit, whatever. Its all good up there.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:14pm
Fast n Furious is fun. Some great 'lil boofs and some challenging cross current moves and attainments if one knows how to engage one's imagination. Some skill building opportunities, in other words, if you don't just flush down the main route like a bobber/floater (Drive that boat...)

Plus I really like hanging out below Exit whether I ran it or put in below it. It has a quality ambience for safety meetings and the like.

Mein Haus ist dein Haus
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:18pm
ROCK ON, MILLER!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:06am
From my understanding, Gary/Osprey has leased the put-in land from the Forest Service for commercial purposes, similar to how Stevens Pass leases the land from the Forest Service. This is a reason that there are likely liability issues if you are putting in at their commercial put-in. If you Google Map Steven's Pass it will be on pubic forest service land too. Just be a good neighbor and check in. I bet if you give them a smile and your license plate number you won't have to worry about much in the future, or just put in below Exit and take out at the bridge and you have nothing to worry about.

Edited by H2Ohta - 20 Apr 2015 at 10:09am
H2Ohta
millerhd
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote millerhd Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:04am
SOME CLARIFICATIONS:

As H2Ohta has said, the ACTUAL PUT IN to the House Run is, in fact, on Gary's land (or land Gary is leasing) and for this reason it is actually a liability.

WITH THAT SAID, We love our kayakers! Yak on! You are free and welcome to use the put in (no waiver required) but with the request that you PLEASE check in with Osprey first. You can park in our parking lot instead of parking in the road; this helps Osprey out a lot!

Osprey is looking for a mutually beneficial relationship -- we're boaters, too! No one's keeping you off the river, just asking that you please be respectful.

Thank you all so much and sorry for the initial lack of clarity.
NightbeastNW
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote NightbeastNW Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:24pm
The pipes that are used to slide the boats down to the river are illegally built on Forest Service land. (FS boundary is literally straight down the middle of those pipes). Unless Osprey has a special use permit from the FS there isn't any room for debate. I'm all about respect and getting along but facts are facts.

Just educating the public.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:35pm
As long as you call it a water pipe...   

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version