Professor Paddle: Upper Sultan Release 4/25 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Sultan Release 4/25 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 2:04pm
Indeed, I recall consolidating at a nearby parking lot and driving up from there. Maybe other groups can consolidate elsewhere so as not to overload one area. Shuttle rigs that can carry lots of boats and people would be a prudent choice. It might also be prudent to take some initiative and form the group you'll be boating with, beforehand... hatch a plan for your group that involves put-in, take-out, and shuttle logistics so that the large group of 76+ paddlers will act as a bunch of smaller independent groups... reducing the overall amount of vehicles to the put in and take out, as well as being more organized individually. Once on the river, stick with your group. The standard take out for the lower Sultan (at the fishing access) is not very big and may accommodate 8 cars, maybe. Of course, you need a pass to park there. Taking out at the powerhouse (put in for the Last Nasty section), I assume, is also an option.

If you haven't been on the Sultan at all expect your group is gonna take a little longer. If you've done it, try and get there early, anticipating your group will move faster through the canyon and put-in logistics.

It would be GREAT to pull this trip off without a hitch and NOT have any problems with folks 'just showing up' hoping to be taken care of and 'shown the way'. Take some responsibility for your group and lesson the burden of the PUD for providing us this opportunity, lessen the load on the community by having a pre-plan for your group's shuttle and respectful parking arrangement; i.e. not having 70 cars at the fishing access take out. And increase the worth of American Whitewater (who basically spearheads events like this) by acting in a respectful adult manor. Our behavior as a community at events like this has a big sway during AW's negotiations of future events. Please act accordingly.

Be proactive y'all and pre-plan, this is definitely a trip that deserves it and may open future opportunities if we act like a bunch of well-mannered, intelligent folks.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 2:15pm
.I'll be sitting this one out so that will reduce the hoards by one.  700 cfs sounds decent to me...seems like the high flow day from that study was just a bit north of there and it was an ok level. 

I recommend bringing along some duct tape, etc. for if/when your boat gets a crack.  James and I both cracked ours in the first two miles back in '08 and it made for a more sporty experience.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the wood situation, hope it's a good one!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:44am
It was '07 I am pretty sure, Dave.
But yeah kids- bring duct tape.
Bring a spare drain plug.
Bring a few break down paddles too.

Damn some gear got fu*ked up on that trip. Must be some excommunicated Gnomez who were banished from the Stilly Kingdom, who made their way over the divide to "Homestead" in the Sultan drainage. No longer "Robe Gnomes", now simply "Rogue Gnomez"...watch out.

Edited by jP - 18 Apr 2015 at 4:45am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 9:36am
.Forgot about Brad breaking his paddle in landslide.  I think he paddled the rest of the way out with the broken shaft stuffed vertically in his pfd.  Good times.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 7:11am
Sultan P&R is a good spot to consolidate vehicles. This will help to minimize our impact at the Takeouts. Or the river access at the confluence has a large parking area...

Edited by huckin harms - 20 Apr 2015 at 7:16am
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:31am
Who's bringing a chainsaw?

Ha!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:01am
Especially if rafts are dropping in. I was going to suggest rafters, but.. they'll be behind most folks anyway.    Can we get a smiley guy with a sign that says Prepare For Wood ?? haha
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:32pm
Over 100 people signed up as of today... 
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:00pm
Is there a Sunday release, as well?
Catch your eddies,
Christian
1150lbsofaire
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote 1150lbsofaire Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:26pm
anyone from the gorge headed up? my car just crapped the bed
lookin for a bow cap for a storm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:04pm
Damn, Hans- would love to know you got up there and boated that shiz yo~~

Part of me wishes I was gonna be there, part of me is glad to miss the Throng of it. Thats a lot of people.

Its great yall are adressing the shuttle/parking logistics, but I think its kinda funny how everyone (seems to) feel like they all gotta put on at the same time and cram down in there.

I'm going out to the rolling silky saltwater where I can have some breathing room. May not seem like it, but I absoluty love boating with Each and Every one of you* but it does not mean I want to boat with Each and Every one of you at the same time!!

*well, ok, maybe there is one boater I...well, no need to go into that
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by James

i was of course kidding this aint the wafakes brah. i do know how you love eyeballin the hens getting all blushed and heated tho. you should take kitters and the grey so they can figure out how courtship works.

ill be running the big slides with my daughter down south at GWL that weekend. at least we will all be meeting water and gravity still.

Damn dude, I remember when you had "Fisherman" plugged into PP as a profane word no different than sh*t, fu*k, etc. What happened to you man?

Just joshin'...

....Brah

Edited by jP - 23 Apr 2015 at 7:13pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 7:49am
So, just getting ready to leave Seattle around 8:15am. If anyone would like to carpool, give me a shout:
34 seven - 7 for 6 - 6 for 89

I will be going straight to the Sultan Park and Ride as suggested by Thomas OKeef in the email he recently sent out. See you all there:

"The Sultan Park and Ride is a good place to meet and consolidate shuttles (942 Stevens Pass Hwy, Sultan, WA). You have a couple options for a take-out. You can take-out at the powerhouse (either river right or river left—river right has a little bit better access but river left is easier for shuttle logistics as you can access the powerhouse from 116th St SE off of Sultan Basin Road). Trout Farm Road has space for about 20 cars if you are continuing on down through Last Nasty (please don’t park in the road or block driveways). If things are really jammed up at Trout Farm Road, you can always continue on down to Sportsmen’s Park at the confluence with the Skykomish."
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 12:17pm
Anyone know anything about the rafting fatality? One report said he wasn't wearing a lifejacket, but I find that hard to believe (either written wrong or it got pulled off?). Another article made it sound like it was just downstream of the Culmback dam.
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 4:36pm
It was 4 locals (not participants in the upper Sultan release) who put in at the power house to run the lower, without proper safety gear (helmets, PFD's, etc.), and flipped (I believe in Last Nasty). The man who died was a 38 year old from Sultan, WA. Apparently some kayakers participating in the upper release were responsible for getting the other 3 people to safety. Those are the only details I have been able to discern from various sources, so I will not comment further.

Sucks.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 6:55pm
I will make A full report on Monday to answers everyone's questions.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version