Professor Paddle: skate creek? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: skate creek? Post Reply Post New Topic
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote imageAK Replybullet Topic: skate creek?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 8:22am
Anyone familiar with the flow for skate creek? AW says use cowlitz gauge at Packwood but I'm not sure how good the correlation is?
aint nobody got time for that!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 10:10am
no one?

Edited by imageAK - 26 Mar 2015 at 10:29am
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:53pm
Skate Creek comes in just below Cow@Pack gauge, but it works fine. Info from a couple runs.....June 3500 Med; January 4800 Low. For Skate more water is better. Currently there's a few wood issues, but mostly clean.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:59pm
Well, I'm not familiar with the flow for Skate Creek.  But a quick look at at map shows that there's probably not a great correlation with Cowlitz gauge at Packwood, other than that they are both in relative proximity to Packwood.  Tribs for the Cowlitz at Packwood include the MF Cowlitz, CF Cowlitz, and the Ohaneeeeee, all of which have drainages in the 5-6K elevation range.  Skate creek drainage is mostly below 4K, so it would see much less in the way of snow melt runoff.  During fall / winter / early spring rain events  when everything is frozen above 4K, then there might be an OK correlation.  But as soon as typical spring snow melt commences, I can't imagine much of a reliable correlation. 

A better option might be to just monitor temps, snow levels, and rainfall amounts.  Then step outside, put a wet finger into the air to determine wind direction and humidity.  Make sure you're facing SE towards Skate.  And make a gut call on whether or not it's worth the drive.  There's one guarantee.  You WILL find boating.       
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 2:01pm
When I've run it it's usually been raining and usually IS raining while on the river. 3500 @ Packwood seemed fun and manageable for the typical wood situation. This year, in particular, the snow is pretty much gone in lower elevation drainages, Skate being one. I would guess it'll be pretty gosh darn low, but you never know, you might be surprised. Tell us what you find.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 2:33pm
Thank you for the responses. Seeing as Im constantly solo & what would probably be considered a novice, or newb, The information you provided Jalmquist isnt something i naturally gleaned but is very appreciated and noted.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 2:46pm
JD probably has more experience with Skate than anyone I know.  Of course, saying Skate was at a medium level when the Cowlitz at Packwood was 3500, and at a low level when the Cowlitz was reading 4800 shows you there's not a direct correlation.  Or if there is, I'm guessing when the Cowlitz hits 10,000cfs, Skate will be bone dry.    You've got to factor in temps / freezing level, snow pack, precip, phase of the moon, etc.  But if the Cowlitz at Packwood has good water, Skate will probably have something.       

Edited by jalmquist - 26 Mar 2015 at 4:14pm
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 4:50pm
I didnt see JD's post previously. I guess ill just look to add to the beta for corresponding flows this weekend. Im definitely considering snow pack and temperature, considerably more so the rain fall as well & then just a bit of hope. But I will report back since it doesnt benefit anyone if I dont...

sincerely thanks for the info!

Edited by imageAK - 26 Mar 2015 at 4:52pm
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:55am
You will want maximum flows. I fear you may not have enough.
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:02am
yeah Ive seen this creek a few times before i ever boated so im sure low water on the cowlitz means low water on a lot up there... other prospects and scouting i guess! guess ill update the page for skate!
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:15am
There's a gnar canyon downstream of the regular
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:03pm
too true! I wanna rappel in for some photos!
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:27am
Jon makes great points, and has excellent weather/level perspective. He and JeffR are some of the best "closet meteorologists" in the boating community, with lots of knowledge to share.

My general rule with the upper Cowlitz drainage is that you need levels "roughly" 1.5x during winter/rain events as compared to snowmelt. This is a very rough correlation providing a general idea.

Skate Creek shouldn't be in this weekend. If you're looking for a class 3-4 alternative down there, suggest the short stretch on the Ohanee between Silver Falls and Ohanapecosh Cmpgrd, which should be at a moderate level. You can skip the gorge right below Silver Falls, by finding a spot to drop down to the river. This stretch has a few fun boulder gardens, and probably some wood to deal with. There's a hiking trail river left for walking shuttle.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version