Professor Paddle: Most Scenic Class 2 Runs in WA vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Most Scenic Class 2 Runs in WA Post Reply Post New Topic
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Topic: Most Scenic Class 2 Runs in WA
    Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 2:56pm
Hey Guys,
Still not very familiar with all the goods in the area.
Have several homies visiting at multiple times this year and was wondering about some low key runs that show off some of the killer Washington scenery. Obviously i can find a list of the lower classed runs but personal experience as to the nature of the run, ease of access, and scenery are much appreciated.

Mainly looking for a run to take the GF/FAM on. Any and all ideas appreciated.
Varsity Swim Team
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:12pm
what area are you in? assuming you'd like convenient rivers in regards to your location?
aint nobody got time for that!
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:16pm
Everett area would be home base. Not scared of a drive though if camping is a good option.
Varsity Swim Team
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 5:11pm
The Skykomish is beautiful and Index is a great little spot.  You could paddle Split to Big Eddy for a bit splashier trip or even Big Eddy down for some really relaxed whitewater (class 2).  There's camping along US2 past Index.  The Sauk has a beautiful surrounding area.  The lower Sauk from Bachman down is class 2.  There's lots of camping up there on Mountain Loop and some great hikes and camping spots.  The Skagit is really beautiful also and the lower section is known for Eagle sightings more than it's whitewater.  You could always paddle the Sbends for some excitement on the Skagit.  It's the only class 3 rapid.  There's lots of camping, hiking, and beautiful sights all around that area too!  Have fun!  All of the above mentioned areas are very easily accesible and require a Discover Pass and the other forest pass typically so it's always good to have those in the car!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 5:35pm
there's the snoqualmie below the falls too... the falls are pretty sweet to check out. you put in below one class III rapid, but you can walk up to run it and also check out the falls. the rest of the run is short and class 2, but you could continue down to fall city.

the snoqualmie, sky, skagit, and sauk are all good options. the skagit and snoqualmie run late into the season.

Edited by PaddleGirl - 19 Mar 2015 at 5:49pm
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 8:20am
Awesome info,
Thanks Guys!
Varsity Swim Team
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 1:20pm
Considering this won't be a very good "water year", choices might be limited.  If we luck out with some water in the rivers this spring / early summer (snow melt or rain), the above mentioned choices are good.  I'd also toss in a couple more options in the same vicinities.. . 

Upper Sauk (Bedal campground to Whitechuck confluence):  If your GF/FAM have solid class II ability, this is a nice stretch.   It has good mountain  views, a handful of class II drops, a couple that are II+.  The hardest drop is the one you see from the bridge over the Sauk as you approach the take-out.  If that's not to your liking, you can take out just upstream of this at the gauging station (requires a 5 minute trail hike)

Upper SF Skykomish (Skykomish to Baring):  This is a fairly straightforward class II section that is usually fairly clean.  I've used it for first-time IK'ers and it's been lots of fun.  It has some nice mountain views, a few fun drops, and super clear water.

Wenatchee (from Lake Wenatchee State Park on down to Chumstick Hwy bridge or all the way down to Hwy 2):  Good class II option if you're seeking sunshine and it's cloudy on the west side.

If it's later in the summer or things have just run out of water, you might also consider the dam to dam stretch on the Wynoochee on the southern Peninsula.  It's dam release and never drops below about 250cfs, which is enough water to enjoy this small river in kayaks or IKs.  It's a shorter stretch - maybe two miles - but it has some fun drops and it's easy to get in a couple of laps.  The last half mile also goes through a very pretty, steep walled gorge.  This gorge section is just moving water (no real rapids), so it's not intimidating for beginner boaters.  It's a drive from Everett, but there's some really nice camping and exploring to be had in the Wynoochee area.   

If all else fails, the Skagit (Goodell CG on down) will have water.   

ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 4:42pm
Thanks for detailing those options, Jon. Now that I'm teaching my young children to kayak, I am always on the hunt for Class II that is nearby, easy to access, safe and fun.
I have paddled from Skykomish to the Money Creek Campground several times. It was my first river and my wife's first river and my daughter's first river in a Dynamic Duo. But I've never paddled beyond the campground. I've always been a little curious--just not curious enough, I guess. The Skagit and the Sauk area also interesting. In my hunt for a good Class II, I have found the Skykomish from Big Eddy to Gold Bar to have the best mix of access, proximity and fun, little rapids that are safe. Rumor says Burlington Northern Santa Fe is cracking down on trespassers with $1,000 fines. If true, this is a major detriment to the take-out, which forces paddlers to cross the tracks.
One of my favorite Class II runs is the Cowlitz or is it the lower Ohanapecosh. Put in where the Class V kayakers takeout. The most beautiful Class II gorge I've ever seen with a cliff jumping spot at the end.
Catch your eddies,
Christian
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 4:52pm
We take our kids from lake Wenatchee State Park down the Wenatchee.  In August the water is warm, there is a beach to play at before starting the trip, and it is very scenic.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 5:33pm
Agree with christian on the la wis wis to Packwood program. I often tote a canoe, run the ohane while my lady runs shuttle then cruise the canoe tandem from the takeout down. It's got great features for a class two run and is very pretty. There's even a couple surf waves you can fit the canoe on.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 6:25pm
Adding my 2¢...

One of the biggest problems with class 2 runs around Western Washington is many of them have wood issues that make them not really suitable for beginners since class 3 or 4 experince can be needed on some of those runs to deal with the wood.

That said. Sticking to some of the larger rivers that are less prone to riverwide wood issues there are some good choices. Some have already been mentioned so my remention is an extra vote towards those runs:

Skagit: There's a a couple different runs, The S-bend run was already mentioned and is a very good candidate if comfortable with throwing in the bends, which contain 2 class 3 wave trains followed by a couple more rapids including a big mid-river rock that can create a big hole at some levels.

Also, either the Bacon creek to Marblemount or the Marblemount to Rockport runs are very scenic floats. Very little rapids on these stretches. Rapids are really more 1+ than II, but it is still a big river with strong currents and demands respect. But on a sunny day, the views from any of the Skagit runs are hard to beat.

SF Skykomish - from Beckler River to Baring. This has often been my go-to run for taking newbie IKers down. Just a few class 2 rapids and great mountain views. Also it's has a long season and is pretty clean. It's been a few years, so I'm a little hazy on where the best takeout is, but ususally used a roadside spot about 1/2 mile above Eagle Falls near Barclay creek.

Upper Wenatchee - Great views, long season (you can run it pretty low - 900 cfs is fine) and you can put in and take out a couple different places for longer, shorter run. Rapids are easy class 2. Probably a bit of push is you go when water is high, but unlikely to find that being a problem this year. Full run is from Lake Wenatchee to Tumwater campground. Although I think the access is messed up now that the redid the US2 bridge. There may be a better takeout a little ways down Tumwater canyon before the rapids kick in.

Upper MF Snoqualie - Uh... OK not really, since the road has major issues at this time. Also while the rapids are easy on this run, it can have wood issues. On a sunny day it has some of the best views anywhere in W. Washington.

Yakima - From the Entiat confluence down is a nice summer time option since you have dam regulated flows. Couple easy class 2s. Some nice basalt rock fomations and typical E. Wash scenery. Often a few drunks making asses of themselves too, but I think the larger majority of the drunken k-mart raft crowd concentrate on stretches downstream.

Cle Elum - The stretch from Salmon La Sac/Cooper down to the reservoir has a few fun class 2 rapids and great scenery. Fairly short run, but you can do it in laps/shifts. Going to have a higher wood possibility than other runs listed, so only take those you're confident can make a good eddy turn if needed. I don't think I'd recommend the run below the dam, even though it's class 2 because I understand its just very continuous gradient and would be a hard place to eddy out if there was wood (kinda Tieton-esque).

Upper Sauk - echo  jalmquist's sentiments on that one. Great run, as long as your paddlers are confident in making a move to avoid wood. There's always wood on this run, but it changes year to year how much any is in play.

Edited by JoesKayak - 20 Mar 2015 at 6:26pm
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 6:33pm
Dude,

Thanks for the level of detail there. I've got definite non-wood-avoiders so that info is clutch. Sounds like flow is a big factor but plenty of views to be found. Great stuff.
Varsity Swim Team
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version