Professor Paddle: wynoochee access vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: wynoochee access Post Reply Post New Topic
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Topic: wynoochee access
    Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:55pm
A friend of mine told me the 7400 road was gated and locked today. He called the company and they said they were no longer allowing access. I assume this means the o-600 as well which is the access for the gorge. It's a shame that a run which runs all year is basically lost if all this is true. Don't know what can be done if anything. Timber companies denying access in favor of an exorbitant priced permit system is becoming the norm. Anyway, getting the word out. I'm game to participate in the process of gaining access if anyone would like to attempt it. This would likely take pressure from an organization like american whitewater or similar.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:28am
Kris,

I assume you're referring to the take-out road.  Green Diamond "Resource Co." (formerly Simpson Timber) gated that a handful of years ago.  I chatted with them some time after they installed the gate (I got out there to do that run and was locked out, so I had to hike my boat from the take out to FSR 22.)  They ensured me that they were implementing a policy that would allow that gate to be open UNLESS they deemed the conditions inappropriate for public use - high fire danger, etc.  Since then, the past couple of times I've been there (over the past few years), the gate has been open. 

But it sounds like they've changed their tune and are now locking these gates on all "their" roads.  It's probably worth a call to figure out the details of the policy.  I'm pretty sure what was Road 2260 has been gated (and locked) for years, prohibiting access to the take out for the West Fork Satsop gorge and the put in for the middle stretch of the WF Satsop as well as the Canyon River stretch.  I loved those runs, and the loss of access bites!          
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:32am
Oh, and do you have a link to a good map that details the roads in that area?  My USGS and FS map (via the online links) don't indicate the timber company road designations, and I can't find maps on the Green Diamond site (I'm pretty sure that's purposeful on their part). 
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 2:58pm
Yes the maps are not available. I have a township book from some years back but it's in print. Effectively the west satsop gorge, wynoochee gorge along with the class two float below, and canyon river are not accessible. Much of this is due to increased use by fishermen on the 7400 rd. Without radios and near misses with log trucks. Unfortunately there are a couple user groups that think they own the river. Also I could be wrong on this but I believe green diamond only has an agreement to manage, ie log these areas through a deal with the USFS. Therefore do not really own the ground. Perhaps this is an opening for pressure on access. My prediction is that they will lock all of it very soon as they are going to a full permit only system. Totally sucks.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 12:23pm
This just in. Spoke to green diamond today. I was informed that the closure of the 7400 is directly due to fishermen having near misses with trucks by driving like idiots and the fact they kept blocking the bridge known as Bob's bridge. Security told me that they posted notes, signs and other warnings only to be met with bad attitudes. A log truck was run in the ditch and that was the final straw. However, on a positive note the o-600 road is open and the gorge is able to be accessed. Yet they will likely close it at month end for fire season. So get this run now if you are eyeing it. To further bore you with meaningless info I was also informed that the 600 rd accessing the west satsop and canyon river has a bridge out hence the closure here. They are unsure if it will ever be repaired.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 1:57pm
Nice sleuthing.  Sorry about the 7400 access, but pretty much on par with what I've heard re the 0-600 access to the gorge take-out.  Catch it when you can, and don't expect access when fire danger exists. 

Not that it matters until next rainy season, but any insight or knowledge of access up the MF Satsop?  The road that goes up the west side of the MF (east of Canyon River) was a pretty good road, and if that was open to the public, it would be a fairly short walk down the east / west spur road (old 2260 / new 600?) to reach the Canyon river.        
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:33am
Not sure on MF satsop John. I could likely find out if you were interested. Chipper and Jon did it a couple years back. They found lots of wood. I was not inspired. Let me know when you are out boating here next time and I'll join you.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 12:53am
Thanks for the news, guys
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 2:39pm
Haven't made it down to those parts myself, and probably won't for a while - but if I ever do it'd be great to have that road info added to the beta page for the runs that are affected. This is great info - but it's nearly impossible to keep it straight in your head if you aren't a local - much less remember it.

Would either of you guys (SOP/Almquist) be willing to tack this info onto the beta pages for these runs?

Edited by JayB - 23 Mar 2015 at 2:40pm
-Jay
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 6:42pm
11/02/2012 Chipper, Vaughn and myself drove the long shuttle to run Middle Fork Satsop from Walter Creek through Fool's Canyon. We had 6000 cfs on the Main Satsop. I noted 7 wood portages on our trip (wood situation in 2012) and a 3 mile canyon. Faith Healer was completely full of old growth and was a long portage with rope.

Lots of waterfalls pouring in the canyon below faith healer. Scenic, but with the shuttle, wood and minimal whitewater, I cannot recommend this trip unless you are just checking it off the list.

There is a reason Fool's Canyon is consistently "clean" of wood. Its all caught upstream. With the nice flow we had, as I entered Fools Canyon, I kept thinking I wish I had stayed here and ran laps all day.

The journal summarizes the run as: Sufferfest.

Edited by septimus prime - 23 Mar 2015 at 8:34pm
Jon Shell Bee
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version