Professor Paddle: Puyallup River Access vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Puyallup River Access Post Reply Post New Topic
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Topic: Puyallup River Access
    Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:49am
Hi All, I tried contacting the Cambell Group Recently seeing if there is any updates on the Carbon river acccess and it appears they no longer manage the land surrounding the Puyallup gorge.

Does anyone know either who manages this land or how we could determine who the management group is to determine what their access policies are in that area?

Thanks for any help.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:54am
Also, PSE no longer runs the diversion but I can't find the company that is now managing it. I'm looking to determine if this new company has information regarding when the divert water and if that is real-time information on the internet.
978-273-7723
iamgretchen
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote iamgretchen Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 1:54pm
Hey Jed!

Sorry, don't know their numbers or how they manage access, but...

Based on parcel info... the following three tax payers own the northern portions of that section of the Puyallup (I'll send ya a map):

Puget Sound Energy

Hancock Forest Mgmt
17700 SE Mill Plain Blvd., STE 180
Vancouver, WA  98683-7582

WACF TA, LLC
P.O. Box 570
Exeter, NH 03833

Edited by iamgretchen - 02 Feb 2015 at 1:58pm
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:26pm
I've driven out there a few times, Hancock is managing it based on the signs tacked to trees regarding access. 
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:31pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10968112_10102227902307868_572549202_n.jpg?oh=215a570f42c88bbb82c00d40766a7bd6&oe=54D26CF8&__gda__=1423088588_1d5ffd4eeaf37eb9615707bfe69c7230

Link to the Map iamgretchen sent me. Looks like the put in and take out would be just on hancock but much of the road is managed by WACF TA, LLC.

Good info folks. I'm going to get in touch with hancock and WACF TA.

I'll let you now what transpires.
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:45pm
https://www.hancockrecreationnw.com/kapowsin/about/about-kapowsin

So the area in question is under Hancocks managment and they have a permit system in place similar to what was there before requiring a permit for all people not in the same family but also apparently have a individual permit but it appears all permits for this year are sold out. It's hard to tell but it sounds like they have a one day permit but I can't determine how to get that permit from their site.

Take a look at the site and see if there is any info I may have missed.
978-273-7723
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:46pm
I think you got it all, I looked into the past two years and those permits sell out the day they become available. 
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:49pm
You can go up Elkhorn road to a tiny community called "Camp 1" (I think) you might accidentally cross over onto the logging road which brings you just east of the gorge. The road is really well maintained too.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 3:49pm
Or you can access via the West Side road in MRNP and enjoy the miles and miles of braided and flatter water above the gorge.  Actually, it's fairly scenic, and there is one short but really cool mini-gorge just a couple miles downstream of the WS road bridge.  And the braided section just below the put-in is pretty interesting.  You're transitioning out of the glacial deposition zone, and there are spots where the river channel runs down the top of a gravel deposition ridge.  You boat along on the crown of the gravel ridge, with the river banks on your left and right dropping away lower than you.  Very unusual experience...  Of course, this option is best left for warm, summer days when you can bivi out and make a weekend out of the adventure.    
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version