Professor Paddle: Creekboating footwear vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Creekboating footwear Post Reply Post New Topic
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Topic: Creekboating footwear
    Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 9:11am
For the ladies...

So Sara and I were looking for some footwear options and I was blown away that there are not a lot for women with smaller feet. She is a size 7 (I think).

What is there that will cover the ankle? I'm not a fan of the astral series, as I feel they will come off in a decent swim.

Thoughts? 2 cents? Beer?

Cheers

Edited by tiziak - 07 Jan 2015 at 9:12am
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
iamgretchen
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote iamgretchen Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 9:42am
I wear a 6.5 womens, and picked up a pair of Five Ten Water Tennies size 6 mens.

Five Ten Water Tennies generally are made starting at a size7 mens (even if you called them directly they will tell you that), but you can find it smaller in some retail stores who specifically have asked Five Ten for stock in smaller sizes. Picked mine up in Portland at Next Adventure. I think they even had them down to a size 5 mens.

Edited by iamgretchen - 07 Jan 2015 at 9:45am
jonlcrain
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonlcrain Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 9:52am
Just got my lady a pair of Astral Brewess. She's not paddling whitewater but we each wore our Brewers in Hawaii while SUPing and surfing in reef zone. We like them but they will come untied during a decent pummelling if they're not double tied.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 9:58am
I was surprised when I noticed that the 510's didn't go small enough. I didn't know that they did in fact make a smaller size. Maybe a Portland trip is on the horizon.

Gretchen- did you need to size up for your drysuit? I've heard that people do, but I haven't had to at all. My normal size fits fine with a drysuit.

Daniel Patrinellis
iamgretchen
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote iamgretchen Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 10:14am
I barely sized up (I think mine is just a half size bigger than what I normally would wear). Mine fits fine w my drysuit and socks. It's all a little snug, but I'm used to even snugger climbing shoes.

If I had to hike a few miles in them snug like that, maybe that would be a different issue :) She should def try a size 7 if it's locally around you!

Edited by iamgretchen - 07 Jan 2015 at 10:56am
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 4:52pm
Check out approach shoes. I have been using scarpa approach shoes since I started boating. Sticky rubber and won't come off during a swim. I am on my second pair after 11 years. Solid and should come in smaller sizes.
Wave Sport
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 10:51pm
I went a half size up to accomodate socks under the drysuit bootie + a neoprene sock over the wetsuit bootie because it keeps my feet warmer and the neoprene sock over the drysuit bootie keeps sand away from the goretex seams ect.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ODarrow
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ODarrow Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:36am
Check out the Teva Cherry Bomb shoes. They are a lot more solid than the Astral shoes that I see start fraying within a month of hard use but are definitely more of a boot. I'm not sure about how small sizes go on them.
"See what happens"
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 6:40am
Wondering what folks experience is with the differing types of water shoes. In particular, the difference between the enhanced neoprene shoes(like the Teva) vs the more boot like NRS workshoe vs the water tennis shoes and how they hold up to walking in riverbeds. 

I've only been at this for a short while, I've done a lot of swimming and I've tried all three, but really haven't hit on a perfect solution. 

I first bought a neoprene shoe/boot type from NRS, they kept my feet reasonably warm, but while swimming, they sure seemed like they might come off, filled with water and became loose, moved around on my feet and the didn't really protect me well when walking in the rocks. Didnt work well in the sub-freezing temps either, needed more layers and doesn't dry fast.

I then bought the NRS workboot, which is basically a boot with a thick neoprene liner.  Seems stout enough, allows for rock scrambles, and they secure tight. Can't imagine losing them.  Problem I got is I bought my size, so I can't add any layers for the real cold days. Heavier and more bulky than the other types, doesn't dry very fast and hard to get off.

I found a 50% off deal on some Astral Rasslers, bought a half size big, so I can layer, and to this point, they are my best solution.  They seem tough enough and I don't think they will come off in a swim....could be wrong on that. Love the stealth rubber and they dry thoroughly and quickly.

Edited by Slackkinhard - 12 Jan 2015 at 6:49am
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:15am
I've got 5.10 water tennies right now. The soles are nice and grippy and they seem like they'll stay on in a swim.

The down side to them is that they fall apart. I used mine through about three months of summer before they started coming apart at all the seams. Granted they got used every day, but still..I had a pair of NRS booties that lasted for about 5 years before that.

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:43am
I wear the canyoneers from 5.10 and love them! I do the same thing as JP suggested and my feet are always warm. I had the NRS approach shoe and wore chacos previous to the canyoneers. The NRS shoes disintegrated and were slippery on the rocks. So far my canyoneers have not started falling apart and I've had them for a year. They are also very grippy on the river rocks.
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:45am
Seriously guys, approach shoes. Stop messing with NRS crap, Five Ten Crap water shoes, and Astral crap that is designed more to look good than last any significant amount of time. Get a pair of Scarpa/Millet/La Sportiva approach shoes and you will not look back. Full lace pattern, bomber construction, sticky rubber, and a toe rand make them the best choice. They are also meant to be hiked in and climbed in, and are developed by companies that develop footwear exclusively, and have been doing so for a long time. Who cares if they aren't "boating shoes". I never even bother trying to dry mine out.
Wave Sport
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:46am
These are what I am currently using: http://www.backcountry.com/scarpa-crux-shoe-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW5cJ3MgQXBwcm9hY2ggU2hvZXM6MTo3OmJjc0NhdDQxMTAwMDMy&skid=SCR0233-SHA-S42
Wave Sport
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:15am
great info, thanks. 

As to the Scarpa's, do you know if they come in 'hi-top' version?  I really like having more ankle support than a low top provides?
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:24am
I forgot about the Cherrybombs. I had a pair for a season and I felt that they didn't hold up to punishment. I think I destroyed mine in less than a season.

At this point, I think we're just gonna look around for size 7 Canyoneers and hole for the best.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Slackkinhard

great info, thanks.  As to the Scarpa's, do you know if they come in 'hi-top' version?  I really like having more ankle support than a low top provides?

Jon - My worries exactly. I have really only been considering hightop options purely based on how badly my swims usually end. I wouldn't want Sara to have to hike down the bank, sans shoes.

I had a pair of these a couple years back and I never got a warm fuzzy about how stiff the soles were. I had a hard time getting them into my medium burn at the time. I think that's around when I switched to fiveten.

I would say I usually get 2 seasons out of a pair of canyoneers. They definitely hold up way better than the water tennis do, but they are not able to fit into a playboat so....

Daniel Patrinellis
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by iamgretchen

I wear a 6.5 womens, and picked up a pair of Five Ten Water Tennies size 6 mens.

Originally posted by iamgretchen

I barely sized up (I think mine is just a half size bigger than what I normally would wear). Mine fits fine w my drysuit and socks. It's all a little snug, but I'm used to even snugger climbing shoes.

I bought a pair of the Five Ten Water Tennies in mens 10.5 and wore the for the first time yesterday.  I normally wear a 10.5 and they were snug with wool socks and booties, but definitely not uncomfortable.  I like them so far and  I'm glad I didn't size up because I'd rather have my boots a little tight for walking around on sloping rock surfaces.  I haven't tried them in my playboat, but they aren't bulky like other shoes I've tried portages in.  I think they'll work out well. 
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:04pm
anybody seen these yet?

http://www.kayaksession.com/new-products-paddleexpo-2014-nrs-to-unveil-new-adventure-creeking-shoe/

or

http://www.kayaksession.com/new-products-paddleexpo-2014-new-palm-gradient-shoes-serie/

Edited by Slackkinhard - 12 Jan 2015 at 2:06pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version