Professor Paddle: Hoffstadt creek Sunday/Monday vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Lost \ Found \ Stolen
 Professor Paddle : Classifieds : Lost \ Found \ Stolen
Message Icon Topic: Hoffstadt creek Sunday/Monday Post Reply Post New Topic
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kevinh Replybullet Topic: Hoffstadt creek Sunday/Monday
    Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 12:40am
Anyone been in here lately?
It looks like levels might be good for a go Sunday (maybe too high!) and potentially Monday.
Anyone off Sunday/Monday-more likely?
What about the oly crew?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 8:37am
I might be able to motivate for that on sun. Hike out appears brutal but looks like a sweet run. Oregon kayaking has a good write up on it
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:29am
Look into accessing the class II take out. Heard if you float a little longer there's a better option? Haven't done it, just heard about it.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 12:17pm
The lower take-out option used to be accessed via the dirt road on the right (south) a short distance before you crossed the Hwy 504 bridge across Hoffstadt.  But that road was eventually gated at the hwy, leaving the option of either the steep climb up under the bridge or a much longer (but gentler) walk up that dirt road.  The last time we walked up from under the bridge we swore we'd try walking the road the next time - of course, for me there hasn't been a "next time" yet.     
swimswim
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimswim Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:05pm
the hike out isn't nearly as bad as the write-up indicates. i was in there last february. there was a bit of wood, but all manageable to the alert paddler. flow was 4400 rising to 4800 on the Toutle at Tower Rd. This was a low flow. Our group agreed that double or triple the flow, this would be an awesome run.
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 11:52pm
Swimswim,
do you remember how difficult it was to find/eddy out above gnargasm?
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 12:17am
Swimswim, Jalmquist,
Looking at the map, it seems there are two road grades you can hike from Spirit Lake Highway. Did you take the first one you came to? Any trouble breaking away from the road and dropping to the putin?
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:33am
Eddy above Gnargasm isn't too difficult to locate. If I remember correctly, the lead in to that starts with a ledge that you'll take a look at, and then see the horizon line down the way. This is after a 12 foot falls that's distinctive.

Road to putin goes to a bridge over the creek.
swimswim
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimswim Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:49am
I don't remember any difficulty eddying out above gnargasm. The usual check the big horizon line mentality should get it right.
For the put-in, I think it was the first spur after the bridge. In any case, it's Rd 3100 that we took down to the creek, putting in at the bridge.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:53am
The put-in road (which used to be open to vehicles but is likely gated) should be the first dirt road on your left once you cross the Hwy 504 Hoffstadt bridge.  If I remember correctly, at first this road parallels the Hwy a bit before hooking left and heading up the creek.  Just walk this road - which is pretty easy as most of it is level or even slightly down hill - to a bridge over Hoffstadt.  You can put in at the bridge or continue further upstream.    
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:14am
JD & SS are correct - the eddies above Gnargasm are not hard to catch.  I used to catch an upper eddy on RR.  At lower flows I'd take out there, walk the top portion of Gnar on some RR selves and then "rock hop" to a shelf in the middle of the drop where you can put in to run (more wet rock sliding) the lower section.  With more water, the hop to the middle shelf island is sketchy, so then I'd ferry from the RR eddy to RL where you'll find the actual portage route.  The biggest challenge with the eddies is that at lower flows there were a couple of hidden F#$% You rocks guarding the eddies.

I don't actually remember being able to see the Gnar horizon line from an upstream scout, but as you approach the drop you do notice that there's something significant below.  The run kind of drops away with a slight bend to the right.  If I remember correctly, there's a ledge upstream a ways that is pretty straightforward, after which the creek angles left into a (somewhat) straightaway leading up to Gnar. 

Don't go into this run worrying about Gnar - if you're competent on this type of water, you'll easily recognize from above that something is going on that deserves a look.  And you'll catch the eddies.  The bigger hazards on this run were the wood that used to collect in the later part of the run where the valley opened up as you approached the bridge, as well as a couple of crack type sieve / pin spots.  There was one crack sieve that came following a tight left bend.  It was more of an issue a low flows, but it could certainly sneak up on you.         

Edited by jalmquist - 19 Dec 2014 at 10:15am
akayakermike
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote akayakermike Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 12:46pm
I was in there in March or April. I don't remember any bad wood hazards in the fun stuff. As jalmquist said the runout is where the wood and pinny mank is.

The gate on the dirt road that could provide an easier take-out was open when we were there, but we decided against going down because of the possibility of getting locked in. The hike out under the bridge is not so bad, I think it took us less than half an hour.

I believe for the put-in there is T right after you turn off the highway, go right. The gate is not to far past the T.

Gnargasm looked surprisingly pretty good to go based the lines I watched. Though I believe a certain pair of rafters cracked a helmet on the bottom shelf later that day.

Pretty good run, but not the kind you would repeat often.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version