Professor Paddle: Sequim??? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Parks
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum : Whitewater Parks
Message Icon Topic: Sequim??? Post Reply Post New Topic
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jihad Replybullet Topic: Sequim???
    Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 11:51am
I'm heading / moving to sequim for work for the foreseeable future, and was woundering what the boating scene was like there. What is my local run? Who are the local boaters? Class 3-5 is what I'm looking for. I think I'll be working 4 10s, does anyone in the area have Fridays off?
Is this a bad idea? I heard sequim is a town full of retirees?
Opinions please...
-jared
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:32pm
There is a group that is on facebook that is based out of the Port Angeles (?) area I think. They seem to run the Sol Duc and Sitkum alot. Sol Duc seems like it would be a good highwater run.

Up in that zone there is some good stuff, the SF Sol Duc is pretty good with one pretty committing rapid. If it had less wood it would be more classic.

The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 1:19pm

Sequim is the palm springs of western WA, and hence a popular retiree paradise.  Break out your slippers and blue blockers!  You could also fit in by becoming an organic lavender farmer.

Boating wise, because of the rain shadow your backdoor rivers, which include the Dungeness and Gray Wolf, run predominantly with snowmelt.  You can catch them with the occasional rain event, but really they’re best April-July.  The Gray Wolf is a long adventure starting with a hike down from Deer Park.  Very beautiful up there, starting in the ONP, and a good adventure!  The Dungeness has two primary runs that could be combined for a longer day.  My favorite is the upper from Gold Creek to the Dungeness Forks Campground.  It’s mainly lower volume, creeky class III / III+, with lots of twists, turns, and interesting rock formations.  And usually some wood to spice things up.  It makes for a good solo venture.  I did it this past season and it was cleaner than I’ve seen it in years.  Still some wood, but not bad for OP adventure standards.  You could also explore much further upstream on the Dungeness, as the road goes up this drainage for miles. Many years ago a few of us hiked our kayaks maybe a mile or so upstream from Gold Creek to run the gorge that is just above the upper run.  We portaged a lot… 

Driving west or south from Sequim you quickly leave the rain shadow and find rivers that reliably run all winter.  Heading south on 101 it’s maybe 30+ minutes to the Big Quil, and another 15 to the Dose.  You can find class V on both of those.  Heading west you’re 30-45 minutes from the Elwha and Lyre.  I’m not a huge fan of the lower Elwha runs, although it would be fun to boat the old dam site.  But the GC is beyond description!  I’ve never done the Lyre, so report back if you get there.  Beyond those it’s another 30+ minutes to get to the Sol Duc, which has lots of options, and some good play boating.  Just past there you hit Forks, where you’ll have lots of winter boating options.  And if you don’t find boating in Forks, I suppose you could tear yourself apart with the internal conflict of deciding between beastailty and necrophilia.                   

Edited by jalmquist - 25 Nov 2014 at 1:20pm
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 5:06pm
Peninsula Dirtbag Kayaker Wannabees   That's a very good facebook group based out of PA. I have property there and my neighbor I think runs the group or at least is a big part of it.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 5:14pm
Jared is a real deal dirtbag living in a box truck. He's going to show the wannabes how it's done. Haha. We will miss you down south this season Jared!
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 6:50pm
I drive to sequim every night, except Saturday, still haven't managed any of the runs :( and I'm still a class 3 boater. Lavender and retiree comments made me laugh, but they fit.
why not!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version