Professor Paddle: Shoulder Injury vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Open Forum
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Open Forum
Message Icon Topic: Shoulder Injury Post Reply Post New Topic
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Topic: Shoulder Injury
    Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:39am
Last friday I floated boulder drop in my IK with some great folks, and although I'd been through boulder drop a few times, I struggled to keep upright and swam 3 times(special thanks to the rope out). The last time in Lunch hole, and when I got back in the boat, my shoulder hurt.  Not terribly bad, but it was sore.  Not sure when or how it happened, but somewhere in that swim function I strained it. Made it home, but in the morning it was hard to lift my left arm over my head.  I ate some Aleve and it was better, but still sore. Well, here I am on Monday morning sitting on my duff, and it still hurts.  I've read that shoulders are the weak link in a paddling activity, and proper technique goes a long way to keep injuries to a minimum, but what do I do now that I've wrenched it?  Just rest it?  I can't think of anything else
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:08am
Ice it. You might have a small tear. If it's not better in a couple weeks see a dr. but I've found that these things mostly heal up with rest and ice. Aleve or ibuprofen for discomfort and swelling. If it hurts just standing around, get a shoulder sling from the drug store, but don't use it more than a week. Good luck!
More water, please.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 11:40am
This is not for now while you're injured, but Mike found these Thrower's 10 exercises and they're really good for preventing future injury:

www.muhlenberg.edu/pdf/main/athletics/athletic_training/throwers10.pdf

He does the first 2 pages, the last 2 of those exercises shouldn't be done if painful according to the PT guy.

Good luck, I think keeping inflammation down with ice/ibuprofen like up4air said so you don't aggravate the injury by just moving your arm around is important, that's what I was told when I had a rotator cuff injury a long time ago.  I ended up getting a cortisone shot after a few weeks because it wasn't getting better and that's what helped, but hopefully yours is less serious.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
cchollnd
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cchollnd Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:06pm
Hope it feels better Brett!
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:56am
Bummer man. Stay in the box.

I maintain that the best way to avoid shoulder injuries is to just have super jacked shoulders. Go to the gym. Push-ups, pull-ups, hand stand push-ups. All that jazz.

Guys like Joe Howard do not have shoulder problems, his shoulders actually break rivers and move mountains. We should all take note.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version