Professor Paddle: multi day west side of st.Helens? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: multi day west side of st.Helens? Post Reply Post New Topic
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote imageAK Replybullet Topic: multi day west side of st.Helens?
    Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 1:54pm
Any previous trips anyone's familiar with that would be worth a look ?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:48pm
Kalama

Edited by chipmaney - 25 Aug 2014 at 4:48pm
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Quote runawayjim Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 12:28pm
Is the kalama running right now or does the toutle gauge only work for comparison during the rainy season? Nevermind, gauge on toutle hasn't updated since April.

Edited by runawayjim - 26 Aug 2014 at 1:00pm
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 3:27pm
Combo of what? Got a link to the put in spot?
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:52am
Both the Klickitat and White Salmon are east of Mt. St. Helens....there is also the Wynoochee on the OP, which is Class II (with a portage?)...
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:59am
overnighting on the nooch would be a bad Idea.

There are questionable characters in that neck of the woods, I have even heard Rumors that the Harvest Oriented Game Fishers movement got started out there somewhere around the muddy banks of the Wishkah. Not a group I would want to Tango with...

Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 11:59am
How about the lower stretches of the Hoh? Sort of had a plan some year of doing a 2 day float down it.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 12:19pm
Guess were gonna shoot for the tieton. Good stretch and water should be coming up a little.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by James

overnighting on the nooch would be a bad Idea.There are questionable characters in that neck of the woods, I have even heard Rumors that the Harvest Oriented Game Fishers movement got started out there somewhere around the muddy banks of the Wishkah. Not a group I would want to Tango with...

Word. Saw some of those guys in deep-cover ops mode, strolling along Purdy Creek in wife-beaters, OG vinyl bootfoot waders, and 3/0 trebles so as to blend in with the rest of the crowd. Scary fellows.

Edited by JayB - 28 Aug 2014 at 12:18pm
-Jay
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:25pm
I am familiar with the HOG group and their activities in this area. Boaters have nothing to fear. They are an anti poaching organization hell bent on keeping rivers free of trash, human and otherwise. Yes, they are wanted by wdfw. Yes, they are violent and their methods questionable. However, I work up the nooch a fair bit and have spoken to them. They are in no way to fear by law abiding citizens. HOG is one of the good guys.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:42pm
Look I was not trying to say anything good or bad about HOG. I ran into some guy up on the Skagit last weekend who was actually at some meeting in a Tacoma, he kept going on and on about trying to join in with these guys but said they refused his application because he was not willing to use physical force. An hour or two later I watched a guide in a Pavati pull an ESA Listed Chinook out of the water and do a photo op then toss the fish in the boat... Do we need vigilante enforcement? I don't know but when even kayakers are afraid of confronting Methheads about breaking into their cars it would seem the writing is on the wall.

As for HOG, I don't feel worried since I respect the river and resource but it would be nice if they patrolled the boat ramps too.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 3:37pm
If you don't HOG will rock you. I personally witnessed a HOG beat down at the fish trap on the nooch. Some idiots were snagging steelhead right out of the wier trap. I yelled at them, they didn't seem worried and told me they were armed as one lifted his jacket to verify the claim. Is about to leave and go to the phone at the dam to call wdfw, then out of nowhere this jeep rolls in and four guys get out. They roll down and start yelling at these guys. One of them came to talk to me, I told him what was up. Snaggers dude brandishes a weapon, guy talking to me pulls out a deer rifle and fires a shot in their general direction and asks if he could have their attention. As the four dirtbags take cover the three dudes on the gravel bar grab these guys, pull the dudes gun and toss it in the river and proceed to beat the holly hell out of the poachers. Guy standing by me tells me they have had a game cam watching that spot for two months and they knew what day of the week and time those idiots show up. He then hands me a card and tells me, don't call the cops, call us. All I can say is kudos to HOG, go get em. It was an awesome sight, complete with great sound bites. Like,"oh a gun, oh my, are you going to shoot me, I don't think so! " as dude just walks up and takes the gun that was just pointed at him. There was other awesome dialogue but I cannot post it here. Funny and serious at the same time is all I can say. This was bound to happen. People need to take ownership and protect the resource. Poaching is a huge problem on the op, I'm glad HOG is out there. Dude I talked to was nice as could be once he figured I was just a witness. I never knew you could get that many large men in a little jeep, was like a clown car watching them get out. They took their fishing gear too. One of the guys tried giving me a rod. To top it off they flattened all four tires on the rig the poachers drove. The poachers wanted a ride from me. I told them the dam phone was about four miles away and a good walk would prevent them from getting stiff from such a ferocious beat down and rolled. Screwc poachers.

Edited by SOPBOATER - 29 Aug 2014 at 4:01pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version