Professor Paddle: No kids kayaks / making one? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: No kids kayaks / making one? Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: No kids kayaks / making one?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:27pm
So my son really wants a kayak! After his first wet exit from a Stomper at the family Cooper Campout he wont stop talking about paddling.

I'm happy, and a little scared to be honest... He was actually paddling where he wanted to go by the end and I don't think I would do well if the paddle was twice my height and the boat was up to my armpits...

He is only 3'8" and 40lbs (He just turned 6, but he's small for his age)

The only real production option I see is the Jackson Fun1. I'd like to have a creek type boat because it would be more stable. Thinking I may buy the Fun1 and start making something as well. Probably a fiberglass kids creeker since he won't be taking it on anything that would break it... The Side Kick looks too big, maybe I'm wrong? It looks like it would be too big for him to roll...

Any advice on where to buy boat/skirt/paddle that he could use? I was thinking of using a weak bungee cord and sewing into fabric coated with that new hydrophobic spray since a real skirt may be too hard for him to pull...

I'd cut down one of my old paddles and grind down the sides to make it proportionally correct if I had to, but maybe someone makes a small paddle?

Making a kayak sounds fun and I'm open to advice!

Here is my thought:
1: Glue together enough pieces of styrofam to make the shape of the boat.
2: Hot wire knife the shape to where I like it (I know this will be hard but I have some experience with custom bodywork/car painting...)
3: Use drywall mud to sand/shape the final inner surface where it's perfect. The rim will be the hardest part, I'm thinking I may use two pieces of tubing, one that will stay wrapped in glass, and one that gets pulled out to make the inverted ledge, but I'm open to ideas!
4: Lay up fiberglass
5: Scrape out most of the styrofoam
6: Pour/spray acetone to melt out the styrofoam (if you don't know what acetone does to styrofoam try it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Jx8NRkWTo)
7: wash away the layer of drywall mud with water and a sponge
8: Final sanding/finishing/paint the outside with car paint (I have lots of cool colors laying around still)

It's too bad nobody makes what I want, I'm thinking I may buy the fun1 now and try making the kayak I want. Right now my son is so excited he wants to help or do anything he can to get on the water so this may be a fun project. Making a seat will be challenging but I'm thinking just cutting up normal outfitting foam would be best.

The other option is cutting down a small plastic kayak and welding it back together sort of like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akr2FtJAC_I

I'm afraid the cockpit will automatically be too big for him to use. I want him to be capable of rolling it...

On a crazy sidenote... I wonder if rotomolding is possible in any kind of sacrificial mold? I have lots of plastic and know how to make heat and could hand rotate... This wouldn't have to be the strongest kayak ever.

I have access to maching/fab/welding/rapid prototyping/CAD/robotics... etc and like doing this kind of thing... I've considered making boats myself for many years, maybe this is a good excuse to try.

Thoughts? I know this isn't the normal kind of kayak question, but I'm hoping someone out there has some advice!

Edited by Travisimo - 01 Jul 2014 at 12:04am
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 2:02am
Ok, buddy--
I love ya man. And I love your thought process. Its beautiful. But the undertaking of which you speak may outweigh the needs or percieved needs you have.

Man, I'd say keep sh*t as simple as possible so you can get him out on the water. Asap. Keep in mind he's growing like a weed so you don't have months or years for such a project unless you are already steeped in the esoteric arts and crafts of boat building.

My advice would be to stick w/ the jackson boat even if it doesn't exactly fit your ideal of what you'd like him to be boating in. Trust me I have experience with your dilema. I mean, how many boaters are happening upon this forum thread reading this who have found themselves held captive within the confines of some shuttle rig as I bemoan at much length how the boat I (think) I want doesn't exist, how if I could just graft the rails from this boat onto the overall haul of that boat, maybe loft the deck a hair here, nip n tuck a 'lil there, make it just a teensy bit more narrow and a touch longer, and detune the rocker a tad up near the...

But the simple fact is that I had an opportunity in my youth to actually learn from some of the best boat builders in the history of this awesome sport, but at that time I wasn't as deeply interested in those aspects as I am now. Another fact: I prefer the convienience of being able to simply buy a boat rather than have to make it. So I settle for what the market does offer because at the end of the day its all pretty good.

I understand your problem, though because there are few options for small kids for sure.

How about that Pyranha boat- whats that one? The Zone 1 or something? Seemed like more of a river runner design. I don't know but seems like there's a few small boats out there.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 3:01am
Or you could go to someone who knows how to build boats and get a custom boat made. PS Composites is just one example.

When I was a kid there wasn't much available at all unless maybe it was custom built. I had a Hurka (I believe thats the spelling). Fiberglass of course- we're talking 1980-1982 and this was a hand-me-down after my brother used it as his first boat. It wasn't the greatest boat but it was a kid's sized boat. My dad had Jim Snyder build a kid sized paddle. It had magical properties (moon dust).

Thing is, I was 10 or so. Small for my age, but bigger than a six yr old.
So the Jackson is gonna be... Big for him? Not sure didnt check specs. If so it could end up being an asset because essentially his lower center of gravity and lighter wieght might make it more stable.(?)

My second boat was basicly a full sized slalom boat. (The design was called a Blitz and it was metal flake green.) It may have been built by Paul Schreiner himself, for all I know. I know my dad got it through John Shreiner. I made it work but it was too big until I grew into it. My weight wasnt enough to really engage the boat, and I got back endered. A lot. Probably leaning back but I was just learning and didnt have a roll. Got the roll in '84 tho two weeks before my first trip out west - Middle Fork of the Salmon.
First combat roll ever....(sorry its story time kids and if you skip this one I feel sorry for ya...)After a dumbass rafter gave me a concussion while I was rescuing the five gallon bucket his dumb ass threw into the river because he didn't know how to splash battle and probably shouldn'ta been any how since we was above a class IV rapid. Sigh. Some custies. I tell ya. I had the bucket and was about to hand it off to the boatman. The custie yanked my stern grab loop from behind, and my 70lb ass or whatever just slid like nothin in that fiberglass kayak, right into the Oar between me and this dumb ass custie who greedily wanted that bail bucket for a stupid splash battle...I mean, by age 14 I was trained to safety kayak on commercial raft trips and I also understood the importance of a five gallon bucket or two for each boat on a multi day wilderness trip since self bailing rafts did not exist and these rafts had all my sh*t, yeah you can say I was motivated to perform my duties as trained. Muddy high water spike after a few days of heavy it rained... So yeah my head and fingers were all tingling because I had my bell rung and there was no way to stop and eddy out so we rolled into next rapid where I got chundered hard in a pretty big hole for a runt like me. I executed my very first true combat roll because I was somewhere I'd never been that was called "The River Of No Return Wilderness". Anyhow I guess I grew into that boat because by age 14 it seemed to fit a little better. Ran the Gauley in it in '85 and don't remember having any problems.

My dad had Jesse Whitemore build me a custom squirt boat in '86. sh*t, I guess I musta been a spoiled brat. But the Mouse Bat was rad. It was severly chopped down from a Lazer Bat mold Jesse had. I couldn't sink it or bow squirt it, but I used to stern squirt the sh*t out of it and splat all sorts of rocks. Mostly on the Lower Yough. Followed my brother down the Upper Yough for the first time in that boat. fu*k I was terrified because the run was so steep and pushy. I want to say it was 2.6' but maybe it wasn't that high. But when we went back to the Middle Fork Salmon I was solid. Leading adults down somewhat and probably recuing some kayakers. Splatting a few rocks...this is funny: and, get this, back in 1986 Idaho boaters largely had yet to be exposed to squirt boating (the original playboat). So some saw me splatting some rock and hooting (seemed to me like it should have been obvious I was having fun), and these western kayakers would paddle up to me in the plastic turds of the day (refered to as Dancers and Mirages) all distressed and freaked out asking me if I was ok "yeah! I'm having a great time- you should try it!" Anyway that boat was a good fit but it was custom built and I couldn't fit into it today.

Sorry, drifting off into the past, thinking of my own dad and how he got me so permanently hooked on kayaking...

Travis, its an awesome thing to foster in a kid. I always tell people I take rafting that running whitewater kept me out of more trouble than it got me into as a teenager w/ a freshly issued drivers liscense. And the trouble it got me into was healthier than my schoolmates were getting into, really. The sh*t they did for excitement was boring to say the least.

The difficult thing will be to teach him technique while quaranteening your own closet full of skeletons. In other words, try not to pump you fears into him by being an overly worrisome parent. On the other hand My dad was a little more cavilier about it. He occassionally threw me into some sh*t. Like, in that very first boat, a few years before I learned to roll, I remember running the Cheat Canyon when it was muddy (well, I guess it never did run clear with all the tanins from the strip mines- it would polish your gold for ya though if you wore it on the river and the rocks are all still very orange.) I will say this for my old man: whatever trouble he got me into, he was always capable of getting me out of. So I guess I learned how to be bold while being scared. But technique did come with that, so its not like he didn't give me a good toolbox with which to succeed. He was really good at surrounding me with talented people to learn from. I bet I had a solid 50 some mentors, most of whom were very experienced and smart about how they approached this sport. There is a piece of wisdom for any boaters out there who lead beginners: either be smart enough to keep your baby ducks out of trouble, or skilled enough and dedicated enough to rescue them after you drag them into trouble. Due to the inherent unpredictability of this sport, a good balance of both is required if you want people to feel good about sticking it out.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 6:47am
Check these out. They look like a good kids boat...
http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Rebel
H2Ohta
UpNOver
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote UpNOver Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 7:36am
Father with 4 kids that all got into paddling.

Paddle:  I would recommend the Bending Branches splash paddle at 0 degree offset. 

First off, I think at your kids age, a zero degree paddle is the way to go. I know it seems odd but they dont have to worry about rotating their wrist on each stroke. The paddle is ntaurally lined up. I have given my kids many paddles and this is clearly the one they naturally grab and go. At their age, you need less things for them to worry about, it is about having fun.  Also when they first start, mark with tape where their hands should go, otherwise, they struggle with hand placement.

Boat:
I started all my kids off in the Custom Inflatable Thrillkat Jr

These are made by Attilla which JP probably knows based on his old school reminiscing. (jp we probaly know each other, you should PM me your info and background)
It weighs 16 lbs so they can carry it themselves.  When we go on multi-day raft trips we can inflate it, they paddle it through the flats, get to big rapids and defalte it, roll it and stick it in the raft.  If they hit a wave and fall out, no big deal.  I would just paddle over and scoop them up and put them back in, hand them their paddle and tell them their doing great, keep going.  Half the time, they just jump out of it at the top of rapids, preferring to swim the rapids which is fun and learning also.  East coast warm water so might be different than WA water.

I then transitioned through the Fun kid series of boats and into the smallest Mamba.  Not a fan of "playboats" for kids but like you said, pretty much only thing out there.  My one kid still only inflatables and wants nothing to do with a hard shell which is fine.

You mentioned rolling, at 6, I would say there is way more things to learn to get a good foundation before rolling.  That will come with time.  Usually I wait till they start asking about it and the rule for our family is once you can roll a kayak 10 times in a roll you get a new boat.  Incentive or blackmail, you choose :)  Kids seem to start out better with hand rolling where I use a boogie board and keep making it smaller and smaller till they hand roll then it is a matter of introducing the paddle.  Seems to simplify things for them so they only focus on one thing, hip snap, hand placement then once that is done, just focusing on proper paddle placement.

If you want pool games to play with kids let me know.  It is a great safe environment for them to learn in and they learn to look forward to it. 

I love your idea about a custom boat and you seem fired up about creating it.  Keep in mind if it takes you a year to create the boat, your son will be a year bigger, plan accordingly.

WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 8:27am
Travis-
Buy a Fluid Vaya sit-on-top. $260 shipped to your door. Your son will not only learn how to kayak, but he'll learn to swim/be comfortable in water. Also a lot easier for dad or mom to clean up.
I also have a Fun 1, but for some reason my son won't pull the skirt. Not a good situation. And he's still not quite ready to learn to roll. We paddle it around the lake and go to pool sessions with it, but have learned that it's not a good option for him (us) on the river.
Another option would be the Remix 47. But just as you said, it's pretty big or rather the kiddo are too small for it yet. Our son is only 50 lbs (5y/o) too.
We should go do the Powerhouse sometime.

Darren

http://www.fluidkayaks.com/us/vaya.html

Edited by WA-Boater - 01 Jul 2014 at 8:27am

Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 10:16am
Thanks for the advice everyone so far!

I'm looking into all of this, and after I talk to him tonight I'll see what my son thinks and decide what to buy this week. Darren where did you get the Fun1? I may try several options, I'm not worried about the cost. I'll sell whatever he doesn't like.

That Vaya does look like the best option for river running... I'd like to try him at rolling though, he's interested and only one way to find out!

Still entertaining the thought of glass, especially after JP's novel.

Edited by Travisimo - 01 Jul 2014 at 10:26am
H2O please
JugheadF15
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JugheadF15 Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 10:18pm
Travismo,

I have a Fun 1 and a Remix that my two daughters have outgrown. Give me a call if you would like to try them out. I live in Snohomish. PM me for POC info
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
deep6
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote deep6 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 5:50pm
I've got a Fun1 and a Fluid Vaya. The Vaya can only sustain a kid of about 50 lbs. My kids are 60, and they sink it on flatwater these days. The Fun1 is a crazy boat for a child- a playboat! They can barely handle it on flatwater. I take them rafting on the Wenatchee and they can see kayakers. They are 8 and 9. I'm waiting patiently for them to ask to kayak whitewater, which they have never done. I scared the sh*t out of them first time rafting (lower sky)and I'm still looking at them wondering when they will be ready. Can't force them can't wait till they are ready! Best thing out there is the Eskimo topo duo. Jackson makes one now. Christian has one and Im jealous. For now, its lake paddling and rafting for us. I don't want to scare em again. If they get comfortable on the water its all over, a lifetime of paddling rivers for us. if I scare them, they may not ever want to try it.

Cool post by UpNover. Loved reading how this actually can happen. fingers crossed....
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 10:34pm
I'm not sure if they've re-designed the Vaya or something, but the one we ordered a few months ago can certainly float 90 lbs and still be paddled great. My son (50lbs) and my daughter (40lbs) sit in it together and paddle down mellow whitewater. My wife, about 140, can paddle it around without it sinking (definitely more weight then you'd want on ww though).
I'll post a photo of the Vaya with two kids in it...look at my album to see...

Troy
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Troy Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:19am
I have a Fun 1 and a small inflatable you could borrow or buy (super cheap).  My son kayaked the inflatable down the Skagit and Wenatchee.  He only took the Fun 1 on the lake.  Both are taking up room in my garage and I'd like to find a home for them.

Email or PM me if interested.

Good luck!  Take it slow.  I scared both my kids and a few years later my son in finally interested in going out again but he's outgrown both his boats.

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version