Professor Paddle: Taking out the trash - Abandoned kayak removal vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Taking out the trash - Abandoned kayak removal Post Reply Post New Topic
UpNOver
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote UpNOver Replybullet Topic: Taking out the trash - Abandoned kayak removal
    Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 9:29am
I did Ernie's gorge (North Fork Snoqualmie) this past weekend and I was disappointed to see two abandoned kayaks.
First off, I hope the kayakers of these crafts were not injured and are safe.  My condolences if not and hopes to a speedy recovery.

There was a green kayak abandoned high above the water line on river left in plain view below the large waterfall that runs in on river left.

The second, red kayak, was pinned in the class V rapid above Jacuzzi (not the run in rapid but above that).  It was barely visible toward river right.  At higher flows, it is probably not even visible.

Access is an issue and it is a gorge but I would like to see these get removed.  Obviously, the level would have to drop to probably about 200 CFS to get the red kayak out and wll probably require rope work with z-drag.

I am volunteering to assist in a low water canyoneering trip to get the boats out of there.  I think as kayakers it is our responsibility to not leave these in there and create a possible bad situation with the logging company, fishermen, etc on a river with fragile access.

If these are your boats, please pm your contact info and we can try to make a plan to get them out when the water drops.

Maybe there is already plans in the works and it is just a waiting game but I would like to assist if needed.  I think both boats could easily be retrieved in one trip and returned to the respected owners.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 9:59am
Right on UpNover--

Way to raise that issue in a very tactful way. My saying is:
"Don't trash the river, or the river may trash you".

Its one thing if these boats are "in play" meaning their owners intend to come back and paddle them out soon (unlikely in the case of the red boat, which sounds like it is pinned in the middle of "Crash Test Dummy".)

But I agree that leaving one's plastic in the canyon is generally poor sport, and in my opinion does not live up to any standards of stewardship that all of us in this sport should aspire toward. We as paddlers should adhere to the principles of "Leave No Trace". Having said all that I do not know the circumstances that lead to these abandoned boats, so one can't be too judgemental.

Still, good on you for bringing it up, as well as offering to retrieve them. Hopefully you'll either hear from those guys or they will promptly deal w/ it. There is definitely some sensitivity in this case regarding access, so that adds an extra dimension compared to other runs which begs consideration.

I know there was a boat pinned in Shark's Tooth on the Cooper a season or two ago and it hung out for weeks, in the way, creating more of a hazard. Now maybe the people involved simply didn't have the capabilities or skills to remove it initially, but then someone associated w/ the group should have gone back later for it rather than just leave it there. Eventually I think a third party of boaters got it out. Again, I never saw it or how baddly it was pinned or where, but at least peeps should give it a good effort initially, and if that fails, enlist the help of someone who can get in there and get it out.

The Little White is notorious for gobbling up plastic, esp. with all the undercut caves (Stovepipe in particular). Its worth a low water run (2.6' oughtta do) just to see the mangled plastic stuffed deep in there
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
wwaddict
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wwaddict Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 10:15am
Green boat on the bank is mine. I can get it out in the next couple of weeks

The red boat (below Jacuzzi, last rapid on the run) is in a pretty bad spot and we are waiting for the level to come down in order to extract it safely.

Thanks for the offer to help. I'll hit you up if we need it.

-joe
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 1:14pm
Since Joe was not willing to be a welcome host of debauchery last weekend I am mixed. One side of me says lets help a brother out, the other side wonders how he could rent a house in cashmere and leave Jon boy, Brad and Me out of an opportunity to wreck his deposit? I mean I am sure it would have just been a busted door or a few burned pieces of furniture.

Joe, I never even get out anymore and letting the air out of a few tires did not even start to wet my whistle. I guess I am getting off topic, but I miss watching Jon and Josh get rowdy while I stand by innocently observing their antics.

Oh and bummer about the boats, glad to hear everyone is ok!

wwaddict
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wwaddict Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 2:25pm
there seems to be a common misconception about said weekend in question...
I myself was actually a just a participant not an organizer.
but that aside...

When I saw you i ran like hell. which you should take as a compliment. I can't handle the amount of fun that occurs when you, brad, jonboy and josh are reunited. I've been working on my old man status and that would have been a huge setback towards achieving that lofty goal. just the other day i actually sh!t myself! it was a milestone for me.

seriously though. maybe we can get some of that fun started up out at the cooper for some beer drinking laps. christian thinks we can get at least 50 laps in one day. I think we could get closer to 65 but then I'm an optimist...
and...talking about how awesome I am is way easier than actually doing anything awesome.

cool. good talk...

UpNOver
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote UpNOver Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 7:21am
Not sure I understand all the gibberish small talk but .... 

When you go in to get them if you want assistance, just let me know I would be happy to help.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 5:44am
Who are you, UpNOver?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
UpNOver
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote UpNOver Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:21am
Slowly walks to front of the room with head down. 
Adjusts the mic located on the podium.  Eyes from the crowd stare at me and some nod giving me reassurance that I can do it.

I speak loud and clear into the microphone:  "Hi, my name is Joseph.  I am a whitewater addict". 
Waits for the unison from the crowd.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:59am
Hi Joseph
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version