Professor Paddle: Cooper River 2014 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Cooper River 2014 Post Reply Post New Topic
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Topic: Cooper River 2014
    Posted: 15 May 2014 at 11:15pm
Access is good to go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ydIoI2QLt4

Trying to get on it Sunday, will update wood observations afterwards. Wood at put in slide hasn't changed, still duck on river right.

Flows are great all around, see yall on the water!
"Full Face" Andy
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
bigboof
Paddler
Paddler

Quote bigboof Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 9:27am
anyone into this for tomorrow afternoon?
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:07am
Whoever created that video needs to research the art of "pulling focus"
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:16am
Sorry, the lens I was using for that shot is a bit f'd and wouldn't focus correctly.
"Full Face" Andy
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:47am
Thanks for the update. What day were you guys on the Coop? Thinking we may head that way for Sunday.
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:50am
Sunday is our plan too
"Full Face" Andy
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:24pm
Fenix so did you guys run the cooper when you went up to shoot your video on flows?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:30pm
Have not run it yet, just did an exploratory mission to check the snow conditions.
"Full Face" Andy
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:57pm
What day was your scouting mission? Be good to know to see how much the flow has come up since then.
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:57pm
This past Tuesday
"Full Face" Andy
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:59pm
That video was a bit misleading by showing clips of S-Turn and talking about it being flushy at these flows, it just gave a different impression to the viewer. The first run of the year on these lower difficulty runs are important to everyone because newer boaters do really benefit from good detail on what the status is on the run. JP could chime in here and blast me to bits and I would agree with every word of his post, no one should just driftwood on down, but newer boaters gotta learn some how and the cooper is one of the "nice friendly" runs that attract folks who seem to rely on others to sus out the deets.

Oh well enough blabbin, here is to hoping that little crick is clear of wood and in good shape although I figure it  would get plenty of attention!

I say in two weeks the majority of the flow is going to probably shift over to the coop so get in your early season laps while you can before it does the roosty boosty.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 2:04pm
Oh I drove up there on Sat the 10th and the inflow was about the same as it was on Tuesday but I was toodling around with my wife not boating. I would have said the same thing the knob on voodoo was still not being lapped at by water so certainly no High flow... Of course the inflow has since Doubled. There is still alot of snow on the Cle side though and like I said I think it will take two or three weeks for that stuff to melt away and give the inflow control back to the coop.

Wish I could get out this weekend.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 2:14pm
Keep up the video work man! Thanks for shooting.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2014 at 2:42pm
Thanks for letting us know timing for the clip. As James mentioned the Coop has increased significantly since then. Based on the NWRF graph (not perfect but ok for estimation) the inflow was 2,000 - 2,500. On Wed, 5/14, it was 2,500 - 3,500. Expect it's still heading up as yesterday inflow reading was 3,800.

Even with the bulk of the flow coming from the Cle Elum, would expect the Coop to be stomping this weekend.
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2014 at 4:43pm
Did a couple laps on the Cle Elem this weekend teaching a class and levels were pretty fun. Drove up to check out Wall of Voodoo and that sh*t was going OFF!! The water level was a good foot and a half over the undercut on river right. Looked like the standard line would still go but had a very small margin for error. It'll be back in soon enough...
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:38am

What gauge do you use to assess the Coop's level?  A % of the Cle Elum?  Hoping to be up there this Friday.

-Lanson
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 9:26am
You use the cle elum gauge. This time of year there is typically more water coming from the cle elum. A typical "medium" flow later in the season (june-ish) is 1300 to 1500. I have run it up to 2400 on the cle elum gauge, which was high. Right now it is 2200 so I would imagine the cooper is high. The best way to tell is a visual at wall of voodoo, but you would have to know what to look for.
Wave Sport
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 12:01pm
My general rule of thumb is based on my 3500cfs rule. When the inflow ceases to peak above 3500cfs you can pretty much see a good transition of flow from the Cle Elum and onto the cooper. Generally speaking if the inflow is peaking with weather over 3500cfs then there is still the majority of water coming down the Cle Elum but the cooper can still be really high.

Every year there are a few days when the inflow is right around 3k and the flow is almost exactly split between the cooper and cle elum, this has only fallen on a weekend once or twice since I have been boating and it usually means you can double down. The Cle Elum will be on the lower side but still fun and the cooper will be Fat. It's a fun combo because the cooper has a fast and furious feel, then you bounce over to the cle elum for a tame sunny float. After a few days of that pattern most of the water starts to transition into the cooper drainage and the Cle Elum starts tapering off.

As for gauging, I like to use the knob at Wall of VooDoo here is a photo of said knob at 2200cfs on 7/13/2012. Remember every year 2200 inflow can be different in 2012 we had a big snow pack so it was a late running year. This was 2200 in the late season which means most of that water was coming down the cooper. I suspect this year we will see this type of water in the coop in the last few weeks of June, but I could be wrong.
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 12:43pm
Thanks for the info.  We were on it last year around 1800 at the end of May.  Thought the flow was great.  Just trying to ascertain what the additional % of the delta would do to the run.  Sounds like it'll be good with a validation by looking at Voodoo.  Really appreciate the feedback.  Have a safe Memorial Day.
-Lanson
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Quote runawayjim Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:40am
Thoughts on cooper level for this weekend? Is this 1900 mostly coming out of the cooper now meaning it's juicy?
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version