Professor Paddle: Family rafting vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Family rafting Post Reply Post New Topic
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jule Replybullet Topic: Family rafting
    Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:11am
I was just pondering summer plans, and I thought, wouldn't it be amazing to get a group of boaters with kids together and do a mellow rafting trip. We're constrained to early August (umm...anyone still need people to go on their Main Salmon permit?), great options would be the Deschutes or John Day. We did a 4 day Deschutes trip last year with our then 6 and 8 year old kids, and it was so awesome. Let me know if that sounds like something you wanna do!

Jule
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:58am
The lower Sauk has tons of great, sandy beach camping and is long enough to do a few days.  I have a group of friends with families that did a long weekend trip last summer from Clear Creek to the Skagit. They had a whole bunch of kiddos that they wanted to introduce to overnight river trips, and it sounds like they had a blast.
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 2:22pm
By then the levels are getting awefully low through aren't they Pernick?

ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:59pm
Definitely to low for the Middle Sauk, but the Lower Sauk is a great float even at low water. Just thought I would mention it, because I think it is a great introductory multi-day for families, and its so close to Seattle.
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 5:45pm
You can definitely raft the lower Sauk in August. With last year's low water we were running boats with outboards up as far as Darrington in September.

Lots of beaches, but lots of private land as well. At the boat launch on SR530 were the bridge crosses the Sauk there is a map that shows were the public lands are located.

It should be a good trip. Bring an IK if you can because there should be some good small surf spots for them to mess with and probably not flip.

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 6:32pm
Yeah the Sauk is a mighty river with a fascinating natural history
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Jule Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 7:46am
Thanks for the advice guys...we will definitely try to make the lower Sauk happen. It's kinda lame of me to have been boating around here for years and never have gotten on the gorgeous Sauk.

Also, I'm looking at the Lower Salmon for our longer August trip, no permits required and should be good family fun.

-jule
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 9:58am

I, too, am looking for a two- to three-day river trip for the kids. Beaches are important. And so is swimmable water. Is the lower Sauk warm enough to swim in by August? Are there swimming holes?

Catch your eddies,
Christian
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 11:45am
Christian have you considered the Grande Rhonde ?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 5:07pm
Ok Brian - or any other Saukmasters...

How low is too low, what stretch would you recommend in the next few weeks for a 2 day trip with one night being camped on the River? Even if it is totally flat (IE no rapids) that is fine since I am taking a 3 year old. Tell me what you think.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 2:29pm
bump
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 12:17pm
Yea I know about the normal stuff like GR and John Day etc..

I specifically am looking at the Sauk because I don't have but two days to kill, I was thinking of launching on a Friday and then camping one night then taking off on Sat. Doesn't have to be super scenic, the goal is to just get my daughter and me on the water for some playing / camp time.

What about the Skagit, are there any over night zones on that. Ideally I'm not looking for any rapids either just a float trip with camping. My daughter learned how to swim this summer and I figured we would do a little daddy daughter trip with a friend and his daughter.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 12:30pm
It might be getting too low but the Upper Wenatchee from the lake to Tumwater Campground is a good run for an overnighter. They are actually putting in a take out/put in area at the new Tumwater bridge but for now you have to drag/carry to the pull out on the river left side
H2Ohta
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 2:42pm
I would be up for a Wenatchee camping trip, but I'm going out of town for work and might not make it happen for a few weeks.  I would be in an inflatable kayak only carrying a backpacks worth of gear.

Jimmy
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 5:18pm
The Skagit is full of multiday opportunities. Putting in at Goodell Creek gives you overnight takeouts at the Marblemount boat ramp, at Sutter Creek (next to the roadside park by Cascadia Farms), and Howard Miller Steelhead Park in Rockport.

Putting in at NP213 Rd or Marblemount would give you good overnight takeouts at Faber Landing (look for the fishing access sign on SR20 between Concrete and Rockport), The Baker River Confluence, and Pressentin Ranch Rd (a dirt road at the end of Wilde Rd at the intersection with Cape Horn Rd).

There is a lot of public land to camp on in the area, but it is patchy with a lot of private land mixed in. There are good maps you can see at Sutter Creek, Howard Miller Steelhead Park, and Marblemount Boat Ramp. You may be able to find it online as well.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version