Professor Paddle: Highest Ohane lap? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Highest Ohane lap? Post Reply Post New Topic
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Topic: Highest Ohane lap?
    Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:17am
What's the highest the ohane has ever been run? Anybody have an idea?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:09am
In recent times I read here about a lost paddle and hike off I think at 3500, careful comparing flows without knowing what the clear fork and muddy fork were pumping... Ohane numbers vary a lot especially by season.

We ran top to bottom years ago pretty high, the falls were not scoutable, we snuck a lot of stuff and elbow room was terrifying. I'd love to see any videos of high runs!

Edited by Travisimo - 10 May 2014 at 10:11am
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2014 at 2:35pm
Oh you mean Highest water level... 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:26am
Well,

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Travisimo

In recent times I read here about a lost paddle and hike off I think at 3500, careful comparing flows without knowing what the clear fork and muddy fork were pumping... Ohane numbers vary a lot especially by season.

Words of wisdom there. To support the above statement, I'm gonna throw out some stats from a different drainage. Today I got some Tye Food at about 3" up the Sapling. Sky was running 6,500. This last march I also ran the Top Tye at about 3" up the Sapling. The Sky was running 38,000 that day. Just two months ago so...

That's why I also advocate the use of the Plain Guage for Tumwater. Because Icicle skews the Peshastin guage as the amount it contributes fluctuates during the season(s). I mean, the whole point of these numbers is to measure sh*t, so might as well measure accurately.

So I think to frame the discussion you need to factor in the other Cowlitz tribs like Travis suggested.

Also, you can ask JD or Jeff. Those two can probably tell you about some high water Ohanie runs!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by James

Oh you mean Highest water level... 

HA!

I missed that at first...

Edited by Travisimo - 12 May 2014 at 9:25am
H2O please
swimswim
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimswim Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:51am
I've been on a handful of times in the mid 3000 (cowlitz @ packwood) range. Love it at that flow. The Butcher's Block section and the Waterfall section both get pretty spicy. Elbow room...well, I walk that one now.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:42am
Holy crap did you ever run elbow room at those levels? Any videos? I think the guage was like 3500 but it's massively changed since then, including the gauge. We walked some stuff too, and it was a long day since we started at the Ohanapecosh campground.

The best comparison I have for level is that first waterfall in the secret campground was evil in the main flow, but had a "sneak" on the right wall.

When you ran the falls did you stay right for the whole thing? We did, and the left looked "spicy" for sure.

Videos? I'd love to see them!

Edited by Travisimo - 12 May 2014 at 10:45am
H2O please
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:41pm
I've done it just a few times at around 3K a while ago and expect the gauge is different. Though it sounds like folks have hit it higher. I know way back a crew with Rick Williams were on at such a high flow that only Rick wanted to keep going past Secret Cmpgrd.

Just did 2 laps in April at 2,600 and that seemed in the high range. Though a chunk more and you might be able to boof the left side of the rock forming the left slot at Elbow Room!

The waterfall Travis mentions ("Scott's Spot"), 2nd drop putting in at Secret Cmprgrd, does get a right line at really high flow. Which would be a good indicator.

Edited by JD_G - 12 May 2014 at 8:44pm
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:29pm
I'm pretty sure there was hole after the rock that makes the slot in elbow room when we were there, it was horrific... I was much more insane then and there was no way I was running it even then.

I'd love to see videos or even pictures JD... have any? We didn't take any, there were no headcams back then!
H2O please
swimswim
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimswim Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 10:07am
No videos in there, alas.

On our first high-water run down, two of us tried elbow room. There was definitely no boofing past the left slot to be had. The left slot actually gets more undercut, with strong lateral current jamming in there. It was difficult just getting over there. I felt like I got crammed into a torpedo tube, stalled out, and then launched at high velocity into the free and clear. The other result was a concussion.
On the waterfall section, yeah, we usually run right over both the falls and the stuff below.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version