Professor Paddle: new to the area... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: new to the area... Post Reply Post New Topic
hfox
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hfox Replybullet Topic: new to the area...
    Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 11:45pm
Hey everyone!
I recently moved to Seattle from Colorado. I was wondering if anyone would be want to go out on an easier river (I haven't been for over a year) on Sunday?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:07am
What kind of class are you looking at? The standard III-IV run near Seattle is the the Skykomish. I would be surprised if you weren't able to run into a group out there on Sunday.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
hfox
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote hfox Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:36pm
I was honestly hoping to start with some smaller (II/III) stuff. What's the best place to put in for that?
snowplower
Paddler
Paddler

Quote snowplower Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:33am
Green river. Headworks.
Its the upper, below the dam
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:32am
The Powerhouse section of the Snoqualmie (see the river pages) is a great place to get a refresh on the skills.

No need for a car relay as it is a short II and most will either walk back up to the put in or practice their attainment skills.

While I don't necessarily advocate solo boating - that is the place where I go when I just want to get out to work on my paddle-craft and maybe don't have a partner.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:35am
I'll second the Headworks of the Green as a good choice.  At normal levels, it's mainly class II / II+ with a bit of easy III.  If you're looking for something with a bit more III, the Lower Green River gorge is a fantastic stretch.  Super beautiful, with lots of II and a handful of III.  Plus, it goes at a wide variety of levels - there's some surprisingly good play at low flows (500-800cfs) on the lower gorge.  Other local II / III options you might consider include: 

-  South Fork Snoqualmie (Twin Falls trailhead to 436th St. Bridge).  Mainly class II / II+, but has a continuous section that can be challenging for class II boaters.  You can also hike up the trail a short ways and put in at "Percolator Pool" to add a couple of fun class III drops  

-   Upper Middle Fork Snoqualmie: Long run with long, potholed dirt road. Mostly class II but some nice views of surrounding mountains

-  Upper Middle section of the MF Snoqualmie (Concrete Bridge to Island Drop):  This is a relatively short stretch that makes for a nice after-work run.  It's mainly class II but has some easy III.  The last drop - Island Drop - is the hardest.  You can scout it from the shuttle and decide if you want to run it.  If so, take out right below.  If not, you can take out at the old, closed campground just above (walk down and make sure you recognize your take-out location) 

- The Big Eddy stretch of the Skykomish: Not my favorite, but a staple if you're in the north end)     

A word of warning on the MF Snoqualmie runs...  That road is scheduled to be paved, and mid-week work closures are starting soon.  Weekend access should be OK.  Also, you could check out the Washington Kayak Club website (http://www.washingtonkayakclub.org/).  They have a trip schedule with lots of class II and III trips listed.       
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version