Professor Paddle: 0-15 degree paddle feather vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: 0-15 degree paddle feather Post Reply Post New Topic
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Topic: 0-15 degree paddle feather
    Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 6:29pm
I have been paddling a 30 degree for the past years and currently I am borrowing an older 45 degree. I am thinking about going with a 15 degree feather when I get a new paddle. Does anyone have experience creeking/running river with a 0 degree or 15 degree? What are your thoughts? I think I will go with a 15 or 30 degree but leaning toward a 15 degree feather.
Thanks,
Ohta

Edited by H2Ohta - 24 Mar 2014 at 7:35am
H2Ohta
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 12:48pm
I have only ever used a 45 degree. I would go with what you are used to. I think the 0 degree feather was a fad. Doesn't really lend itself to good paddling mechanics and upper body rotation.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:37pm
I agree and will likely get a 30 degree but 15 degree interests me...

Sam Drevo told us in and ACA Instructor class that he would never go back to anything over a 15 degree feather and it has made me consider it as he was a former national slalom paddler and instructor. He did not see the need anymore for a feather over 15 degrees for modern whitewater paddling. Also Ken Whiting is a 0 degree paddler and he is very technically sound.

Just hoping to get thoughts and experiences... 45, 30, 15 or 0? What do you like best and why?
H2Ohta
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 1:54pm
45 only cause I'm used to it though. zero seems good though for symmetry and not getting rolled on landing. I'm just too lazy and couch bound to change.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 4:48pm
Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris....
Assuming you're right handed and use a RHC paddle, rotate torso and bend at the right elbow like you would (should) to plant a nice, vertical, left-blade forward stroke.  Do this with low feathered paddle (0-15) and look what this does to your wrist angle on your right (control) hand.  Yikes!       
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 6:09pm
Jon is right, as usual and is the biggest reason to not go 0 or 15. This is why slalom paddlers typically use 75 or 90 and 45 was considered the natural ergonomic feather for your body's natural twist. I paddle with a 30 and love it but sometimes on a high vertical stroke you can still see where 45 would be better. But i prefer 30 for an all around feather but it's personal preference.

Dont forget that Ken whiting (who was my hero for ever) was in the height of the playboat revolution and they were inventing new moves doing bow stalls which were new so they thought being able to push and pull at the same time with a 0 degree was helpful to playboating but does make a good forward stroke look like sh*t ! and doesnt offer the power needed like Jon is saying with your wrist cocked forward. It's a week wrist position.

These days you dont see many 0 degree paddlers on the pro tour infact most are rocking straight 30 or 45.

But seriously in the end its just what works for you and feels good.. I meen we could talk length as well. I went from a 194 to a 197 to a 200 to a 203 back to a 200 and now I have a 199 ? I used to like bent shaft but now am sold on the leverage of a straight 30 foam core. ??

Good luck Ohta

Edited by FLUID - 24 Mar 2014 at 6:17pm
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 9:19pm
Yeah, too much to think about!!! Thinking is hard... I do feel the natural torso rotation in the 45 degree and have always felt it was better for vertical strokes and power. Might just stay with 45 but would be interested in checking out other feathers.   

Regarding length, I like a longer paddle (197cm and I am 5'7"ish) and that is pretty much perfect for me.    
H2Ohta
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 9:06am
Of course, if you bow-stall all the way down the river (and I'm pretty sure I've seen you doing this), then you might prefer an unfeathered paddle...
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 9:40am
Haha, I actually learned to bow stall and flat water loop with a 45 degree. It is actually better as it forces you to rely on body position/balance vs. leaning/resting on the paddle. It also forces the paddler to bounce and use their body more in the pump action for a flat water loop as you can't just pull up hard on the paddle.

45 degree it is for now...
H2Ohta
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:54am
Originally posted by jalmquist

Assuming you're right handed and use a RHC paddle, rotate torso and bend at the right elbow like you would (should) to plant a nice, vertical, left-blade forward stroke.  Do this with low feathered paddle (0-15) and look what this does to your wrist angle on your right (control) hand.  Yikes!       

Right on. I totally agree. Fluid makes good points, too.

I haven't really ever put too much thought into the feather angle issue, ironicly enough. I mean, its obviously an important detail, I just never slowed down to ponder it much. I guess I noticed the feather angle gradually shrink over time.

My first paddle was handcrafted by Jimmy Snyder. While I don't remember the feather angle I want to say it was straight up 90.

I used the same Backlund (rest his soul) for at least 14 yrs and I think it was 72 degrees. Unfortunately I lost it that time I swam on the Sky. My only regret about that trip's outcome.

That's when I finally went synthetic and got the Foam Core Bent Shaft Werner (45 degrees). I've since gone back to the fiberglass straight shaft, (also 45) but I really want a Blunt Family Paddle. I'm so grateful that Kenny Kiley is carrying the torch. Kieth Backlund's last apprentice. Every avid paddler should probably have a Blunt Family stick. For real.

As far as my preference these days regarding feather angle, my reasoning was simple when I started buying these modern, generic paddles: I figured since 45 degrees was still the ubiquitous standard, I would adapt to that so that I would be most likely to be universally compatible with whichever stick I picked up.

Like, if I were to snap one in some dank ass gnarly canyon and had to use an unfamiliar breakdown, what feather would it likely be?

I respect the Zero Degree Feather Movement as it applys to playboating. Afterall, playboating is by its very nature an outgrowth and modification of the standard whitewater kayaking mode. But its specialization seems like it would be very limiting outside of the playboating context. A hinderence, even.

The drawbacks to low angle feather blades were outlined well enough in the above posts, and yeah some rare individuals whose playboating bag of tricks dominate their creeking style may prefer them. I just believe that I'd lose too much "umph". Too much of the dynamic mojo that for me makes kayaking fun.

But I don't really know sh*t compared to THIS GUY:
Anyone who has a sincere interest in the matter owes it to themselves to check out this link:

http://rivrstyx.com/the-feather-rap/

Edited by jP - 25 Mar 2014 at 11:00am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 11:16am
Dont forget about our good friend Ru-Tang Jp. Making amazing wood paddles in Blacksburg, VA these days. Shade Tree.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 11:43am
Is that what he's calling them? Shade Tree?

Viva La Ru Twang!!

Seriously though, this whole topic really isn't complete without this article being read first:

Damn hyperlink buttons n widgets never seem to work, so I won't bother. But trust me, its worth a little cut n paste action.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 6:23pm
I run a zero degree, like it for rolling being symmetrical and all. Back decks are quick and easy.

Ill be back in Washington in a few days, you can try mine out Chris!
"Full Face" Andy
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:11pm
Sweet, and thanks Andy!!!

I do think that it's the paddler's technique that makes for good torso rotation and not the paddle feather. I do think that a certain feather may help but we adapt to what we are working with.

I have also heard people who paddle low degree feathers, refer to having two control hands vs. only RHC or LHC. Maybe bottom hand grips and top hand slips instead of right hand grips and left hand slips...

Edited by H2Ohta - 25 Mar 2014 at 8:41pm
H2Ohta
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 1:18pm
you can have good torso rotation but torso rotation alone is done without the paddle it is the machanics "of the stroke" the paddle is the anchor for the torso rotation.

Feather angle has to do with the articulation that accurs in the ulna and radius bone twisting with your wrist and elbow as you switch from side to side in your paddle strokes.   

Two seperate things that go together to make it happen. and yes Ohta agree we do just adapt over time.

Edited by FLUID - 26 Mar 2014 at 2:07pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 6:48pm
Nothing spins and twirls like a zero... If you want to avoid the dangerous quark zap a zero is helpful. I could make other arguments but I believe this is enough.
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 11:07am

"Seriously though, this whole topic really isn't complete without this article being read first:"

-JP

This was a pretty good description and reasoning and I have to agree with that guy. It almost makes me want to get a 35degree custom. It's really about the anatomical position of how your wrist and forearm bones twist and what position promotes the most comfort and power. For each individual of course......

Edited by FLUID - 27 Mar 2014 at 11:13am
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 11:14am
Aren't you supposed to be on the Illiinois? 
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 11:34am
did you see the weather report? nasty camping... lets wait for blue bird days. lets paddle this weekend buddy
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version