Professor Paddle: PP Ball 2014 Info... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: PP Ball 2014 Info... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Topic: PP Ball 2014 Info...
    Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 1:06pm
Any info on the 2014 PP Ball?
Thanks,
Ohta
H2Ohta
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 11:39pm

Who's gonna take the reins?

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 9:05am
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 1:14pm
I propose a casual gathering that involves a lower icicle creek race and freestyle comp at whatever spot is in. Camping up the icicle or mnt. home road or something. No one has to step up and "organize" or get sponsors or any of that. That's it. If someone wants to do more, then that is cool, but I don't have the desire to organize an event, so I certainly don't expect anyone else to. If everyone is in Der Town at the same time, something fun will happen.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 2:19pm
is the apple orchard not a possibility any more?
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
I think we crapped that bed. Something about all the pallets in Dryden being missing the next morning and a late night mini-cooper road rally and the appearance of a naked fire demon.
Jon Shell Bee
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 2:58pm
I think it might be a good year to usher in a "Family Friendly" Cooperfest.

The icicle is great and we'll be there but the weather out on the cooper is great for folks that have kids, Sun, less wind and rain and there are quite a few nice spots for family camping in that zone.

Not suggesting the party craze of the BBpall disappear but I would be more interested in a low key time to see my friends and dem babiez havin fun. In between laps of course.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 4:05pm
I'm pretty confident we could still do something alongside the river in Dryden, if we wanted. Its more about communicating in advance and scheduling it.

That said, I'm w/ Jonathan: the events are cool like the race and freestyle event, but I don't see why it needs to be some big blow out event w/ sponsers n such. Its more about hanging out and sharing some river time with a bunch of paddlers in one spot at one time.

We got so much to boat year round, we get spread out and hardly see each other. We get spread out not only geographicly, but temporally along the calendar year as our schedules and lives permit. That's not a complaint though, because the result is a cornicopia of uncrowded rivers to choose from. But if there's a bunch of boaters in cashmere/der town, good times will be had indeed.

If it stays in the Wenatchee Valley, I think it has to happen ideally when we have various creeking options (Ingalls/Peshastin, Ici, high water playrun, ect.)

I think it needs to be on a different weekend than riverfest though, because two parties are better than one and I hate having to choose. Also I probably wont be around memorial day weekend. The raft company that essentially taught me how to kayak and raft is having a 50 year anniversary back east in Ohiopyle and I don't plan on missing that. That's gonna be a HUGE event with tons of old friends in attendence...

Cooperfest does sound cool though and there is no reason the PP Ball needs to be at the same place the same time every year. Sure, the Cooper may end up excluding the weekend warrior who only playboats the wenatchee, but really the cooper is a widely accessible run for just about anyone who has a modern creekboat and a passion to boof it. I like the idea. If we can get some dates in the works, I can schedule the time off (I work weekends).

I just remember the first year we had the ball up Icicle. It was just a bunch of peeps stoked to boat. No sponsers, just an organic self organizing event.

Edited by jP - 20 Mar 2014 at 4:09pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 6:11pm
I totally agree!!!

The sponsorships and the money are also probably better spent on AW Riverfest since they are the ones that fight for our rights to paddle rivers. A different weekend for the PP gathering would be better so, as JP said, no one has to choose between one or the other.

If y'all choose to do something more grassroots and family style event in the Chee/Icy Valley, let me know and I can likely get a beer "sponsor" (well maybe one sponsor...). Probably for the Cooperfest too. No reason it can't be family friendly either maybe some live music...

Over the years I have not been able to really attend, mostly because I had to work on weekends but, if there is interest, I can help out with some things on this side o' las montanas as my schedule is a little different this year. But the weekend of the 14th of June es no bueno para mi so far...

Peace,
Ohta

Edited by H2Ohta - 20 Mar 2014 at 6:21pm
H2Ohta
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 6:17pm
That's funny James!  it's amazing how after having kids makes you gravitate towards calm campfires and just a few beers!  A family boaterfest would be awesome, especially if a class 2 stretch suitable for duckies with kids in them was close by.  If someone wants to make this happen I would help as much as I could.  Sky is good because all the different difficulty levels are close by.

Jimmy
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 6:09am
Oh I definitely think there needs to be a cooper-fest. W/a race one day and a lap record event the next day (as in, how many laps can you do).
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 8:21am
I was not saying cooperfest should replace the ball or any other event. Just that IMO it is a better venue for families with kids, at least in terms of camping. There is a sweet camp area just south of french cabin creek road and it has great swimming on the lake and a river side too.

The Lap record will be the highlight certainly because I know I can easily beat my personal best as long as Shell Bee doesn't keep stealing my shuttles and thwarting my efforts!
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 10:07am

I've been planning on a family weekend at Salmon Le Sac and the Cooper. Let's make that happen. What a great venue.

Catch your eddies,
Christian
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 10:52am
Family Cooperfest would be great!!! But Creek-it, dont blame my 7 laps to your 5 on me stealing shuttles. If I recall, I found you fishing on river left below Norm's. Its all about priorities!

Edited by septimus prime - 21 Mar 2014 at 10:53am
Jon Shell Bee
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 12:04pm
Come-on ladies, the professor paddle ball in leavenworth is washington's most popular river festival. 

the cooper fest should happen too but that's a different thread. dont hijack this tread.

the apple orchard campsite on the river is just so dope.  rolling out of bed into the river...  we can just place a ban on d-4, simple as that. 

One bad apple ruins our relationship with the apple orchard?  come-on if there is a type of human that understands the "one bad apple: argument, it ought to be the apple farmers themselves.

can we bark up that apple tree one more time?  Maybe we need to incentivize them with money (or apples whatever they want). everyone pays for camping. boom problem solved
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 8:35pm
Steps:
1. Call Phil, reserve the spot
2. Contact waste management and get a dumpster
3. Get a porto John
4. Icicle Creek Brewery sponsor
5. New Belgium Sponsor
6. Cascade Paddle sports sponsor
7. Party

I'm unfortunately out for planning this year, but def want to see a ball happen. We could definitely reserve Sunistich Canyon again, and we could try and get a group site at Icicle. Who will take the reins?
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 10:53am

Yup. It's that easy folks

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
ODarrow
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ODarrow Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:10pm
Being new to the area I would love for this event to go through. Meeting new friends never got any easier than a weekend full of kayaking!! Please someone make this happen!!!!!
"See what happens"
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by septimus prime

I think we crapped that bed. Something about all the pallets in Dryden being missing the next morning and a late night mini-cooper road rally and the appearance of a naked fire demon.

Oh those were good memories. That was one sexy fire demon.

Edited by Blair - 23 Mar 2014 at 8:02pm
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:40pm
What about an added event this year say a sprint through Chaos on Tumwater?
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by STLboater

Steps:
1. Call Phil, reserve the spot
2. Contact waste management and get a dumpster
3. Get a porto John
4. Icicle Creek Brewery sponsor
5. New Belgium Sponsor
6. Cascade Paddle sports sponsor
7. Party

You could simplify it further by getting rid of steps 4-7. I prefer vitamin R anyway...
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 11:44am
Last year was the first PP ball I did not attend since it's inception. There were various little reasons for this but mainly it's location, location, location! Phil's site is da bomb. No other location offers access like that esp. considering the event during water levels. Nothing beats it. So, I'm with Jed and everyone else who advocates for the simple slick set-up. No need for extravagance and events. Just a community of whitewater lovers getting together NEXT to the river and living it up. Everyone pays to camp, I'd easily pay $20 for two nights if that's what it cost.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 11:51am
So I'm gonna echo the last few posts regarding Phil's. And I think Jed only meant to eliminate steps 4-6, because step 7 is key.

Yup. The riverside location is pretty much unbeatable. I propose a low key, non sponsered event at phil's in adittion to the Family Style Cooperpalooza...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Sam_Graftton

What about an added event this year say a sprint through Chaos on Tumwater?

that's some funny sh*t.

Dude, no offense meant at all- but seriously:
What would distinguish such an event from every other highwater Tum trip you paddle, Sam? You're still gonna be boating with 2-4 of the same eligible 6-10 boaters in the region that you always boat Tum w/, because when Tumwater is cranking out its monsterous frieght train at 10,000 cfs or more, that's always gonna be about the size of the available pool of paddlers who will step up to your brand of, uh, casual boat'n, if that's what you consider it. Ok, maybe some out of town crew will roll thru and inflate the "Tumwater Eligible" number to 10-14.

Hell, throw in a local knuckhead or two who are perhaps as of yet just a little too big for their goretex britches, and you just might have yourself an event with as many as 8-12 participants!

But I doubt it. Still, not trying to crush your aspirations, I think its a great idea. I'll show up. Probably just from the guard rail in my dry clothes since you'll probably organize it at the last second. But if I knew in advance and if it didn't conflict with other stuff goin on, I'd totally volunteer to set safety proper-like at the bottom of Chaos, Throw Bag and Chase Boat at the ready.

What's that? No need to set safety, huh? After all, peeps are probably running Site Zed in Pool Toys, now, so...

Seriously though, I'd happily set safety below Chaos, if there is an "event"
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 11:06am
Step #1 - Reserve Sunistich Canyon for June 14th, the same weekend as Wenatchee Fest.  Don't need porto johns, don't need trash, one and done.  That is the path of least resistance.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version