Professor Paddle: Flying/ Shipping Kayak vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Flying/ Shipping Kayak Post Reply Post New Topic
NOMADIC WORLD
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NOMADIC WORLD Replybullet Topic: Flying/ Shipping Kayak
    Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 11:23am
Hey all, I'm moving back to Seattle from NY, and wanted to see what the latest beta is on shipping or flying with a kayak. Any tips, tricks, or fine print I should be aware of at the airport to keep this as cheap as possible?

Or if you know a good link to point me to, I'll take that.

Thanks,
Chris
In The Business of Doing Things.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Kaelan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Kaelan Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 12:55pm
If you go the airplane route, check with them beforehand. Some airlines will let you fly it free or you can say it is a surfboard. I would just saran wrap it with bubble wrap beforehand to prevent damage.
If you choose the shipping route, check UShip or ForwardAir. Both should be fairly reasonable pricewise. Depending on the size/weight of your kayak it may end up costing over anywhere from $50 to $150 so be prepared for that.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 1:24pm
Forward Air is a good suggestion, drop it off at a terminal and pick it up at one. Wrap it in carpet foam and plan on it getting banged around but it will work. Another one is Greyhound bus lines. They will take kayaks pretty cheap, I have used other carriers for personal and professional shipping but it depends on where the terminal is for you. Checking them onto the airlines is becoming more and more difficult and will ultimately end up coming down to the person you are dealing with at the counter. Some are friendly and helpful, others are not.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 10:36pm
Hey: I think we chatted before you moved out there. What runs did you hit up in NY?

I've shipped coast to coast with Pilot Air freight 2X. Terminal-to-Terminal shipping from Seattle to NY ran about $200.

Forward Air required a cashier's check for payment at both ends - which is a massive PITA, so I went with Pilot Air instead.

If you can find someone else to co-ship a boat with you you can cut your shipping costs in half (based on my experience). Not easy to do unless you are traveling with someone - but might be worth a shot.

-Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:59am
I dont know about coast to coast, but I flew up to AK last summer with a boat and it was easy. The just charged me 20$ for the boat. They had me tape my paddle to the boat so it was all one item, saved me 20$ for the paddle.   That was Alaskan Airlines. Worst part was the escalators in Seatac
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 8:19am
Chris, when are you moving back?
I'm driving back to Washington next week from Montreal and have space on my rack for another boat if you're interested.

-Andy

Edited by Fenix747 - 15 Mar 2014 at 8:25am
"Full Face" Andy
NOMADIC WORLD
Paddler
Paddler

Quote NOMADIC WORLD Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 5:34pm
Hey Thanks Everyone. I appreciate the offer of driving it across, but I think I'm going to try my luck with United. If I can mask it as some sort of kite/ wind surfing set up, I'm pretty sure I can get it on for $50.

JayB, we did catch up before I cam out here. Unfortunately the last 2 years have been the driest years out here, but I did head up to the Hudson Gorge and down to the Potomac area a few times. Stoked to get back west, and SYOTR
In The Business of Doing Things.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 2:38am
I've flown a creek boat with United. I wrapped it up and called it a surf-ski. No issues.

I also flew Alaskan with a Creeker and a Playboat. Not wrapped and that was no issue. They didn't even charge me one way because I was joking around with the guy at the baggage counter about using it if we crashed...
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
kensmba
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kensmba Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:26pm
Hopefully the flight plan will work out for you, but if not you may consider DHL. DHL is reasonable for shipping SUPs coast to coast. I have not tried shipping a kayak with them, but since the size is similar, it may be worth checking into. They will give you a free shipping quote through their site. All the best to you.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version