Professor Paddle: River Progression vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: River Progression Post Reply Post New Topic
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote STLboater Replybullet Topic: River Progression
    Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 1:58pm
A while ago there was a thread about a good progression of rivers for people looking to transition from class II-III to class IV-V. Does anyone have a link to that thread?

Thanks,
Gordon
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 3:25pm
http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8293
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 2:30pm
thanks!
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 7:36am
Paddled the green gorge yesterday @ 800 with nick and we had a blast. I know low, right !! I find the gorge to be the best kayaking around for boaters looking to train and progress their skills to boat class IV and maybe V someday.   I had a blast making sweet twisty pillow moves, fader boofs, tuff eddies, attaining, some really sick dynamic boofs and pillow moves. plus just the slalom moves out there are super fast and jetty !! So fun

there was plenty of water i thought to really make some fun tuff really esthetically pleasing moves out there that made me feel like i was on Robe but on a smaller scale... moves that make kayaking feel good on any class of river.

nothing against the sky but I just realized yesterday how amazing of a river the green really is. Even at 800 cfs I think the green has more to offer than the sky at 2,000 for training, length of run, more strokes, for me i like the scenery better and more rapids with tons of little moves all over the river.

this isn't a sell but if your looking to train why stay away from the green even if it says below min. 800 is fine and you should be out there destroying every move all the time, this run is under looked at low flow even like 1,000 but its amazing... I had way more fun on the green than i would have had on the sky

Even for a guy who runs Robe on a regular bases I felt the green had similar boating on a smaller scale with more emphasis on dynamic moves and technical kayaking that would take someone to the next level differently than the sky, MM or ? would. the sky is big ! and fun and has boulder drop but its short and has very few drops with any sort of technical appeal to it. it's a line up and gun it big water style of run which is great for what it is...

I feel i get more kayaking in and better strokes placed when I boat the green than most any other class 3+ rivers i paddle, which aren't many so thats why i'm so stoked on the green and think more mid level kayakers should be in there discovering new moves and lines and taking there time really working the river. it has so much to offer !!!

I always run rivers like im on class V, just always training if im in my boat and yesterday i really slowed down and reconnected with my paddle strokes and honed some stuff in. always learning, always learning..... if anyone ever wants to go train on the green and really work on some skill let me know, I would be happy to show some things and just be on that river training and just paddling because it's so beautiful.

happy paddling
Totten
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:38am
Sweet - I have been out of the boat for a longer stretch than normal and have been thinking I need to get a day in for a little re-fresh.  And a workout to boot. 
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:18am
I'd be down!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:08am
Hey Totten,
Thanks for your input on the Green. The side channels, technical moves and boofs that exist on the green are great practice for someone trying to boost their class IV-V skills. I think that most people do not realize what a great practice river the green is.

I however respectfully disagree about your opinion on the sky. There are lots of side channels, and technical moves that exist at a variety of levels. The sky is a great training ground for class III paddlers trying to step up to class IV / V, you just have to know where to look.
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:10am
Also, in general the character of the sky is more forgiving with smoother rocks. So if you are stepping it up and you biff your boof, the sky is a bit gentler on the ego and body.
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:02pm
Gordo it's all opinion and all with respect ! Question ? how do polished sand stone boulders with moss covering them make it any less forgiving than huge hard giant granite boulders ? Aren't all river beds made of rock ? rocks are your friend ;) even at 800 she had plenty of water to make some sweet water boofs and pillow leans. the same potential for carnage is on any river but what we're talking about is non carnage, the art of avoiding carnage styling moves completely killing being a class III+ kayaker and whooting after moves because it felt so good. the rock is only as bad as you make the student believe it is.

I think at the true green flow of 2,000 and above most are more comfy on the sky at 2,000 and above. "the gorge" still has some mystic and danger for some ? maybe ? but at 2,000 and less it is very forgiving. The green at 800 is very class III -III+ and friendly.

I've paddled both rivers a couple times before and I would say there are far more boofs and interesting moves on the green than the sky. I blow my load on like three boofs on the sky and a couple cool combo moves and poof im at the takeout. The green has a bigger selection of combo to combo moves, longer running pieces of moving water with route finding and dynamic eddying and ferrying that you just can't get on the sky due to it's large volume. but the green holds its water very well as a mid size river.. I agree Ive been down every channel the Sky has to offer and there are some fun zig zags and what nots out there I just get less paddle strokes and less time on the water with the sky but your right the sky is great and has some sweet moves.

all im saying is the green is overlooked and the gorge should be paddled more at these low levels from these kayakers who dont want to do the gorge but will go do the sky? the green is a full "run" set in an incredible gorge and no harder than the sky at 1,500 and below . not that Mt Index isn't cool to look at but? it is opinion and you have your sky people and your green people.... but the green at low water is way better than the sky at low water !!! my opinion... except for the one glory boof and cruse through boulder? but what we're really talking is progressing as a paddler not just river grade. dialing in skill shouldn't stop your whole paddling career. when it comes to pure slalom course style training I would rather paddle the green to get better as a paddler. I would rather paddle the sky say before i go to Chile just to drop in massive holes and learned to get beat up a bit and how to flow in big water. Both skills are helpful and both needed for a well rounded paddling ability.

I would challenge anyone to follow me down both runs and tell me which one you had not fun but which one you got the most out of at the end. Ill post next time I go, probably next week unless robes in.

Edited by FLUID - 28 Feb 2014 at 1:04pm
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 2:25pm
First, Brett lets us know that it's "kinda tough to get off with cold, wet fingers" 
and now Totten is having the opposite problem.  Quick, cover the eyes of our children!   
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by jalmquist

First, Brett lets us know that it's "kinda tough to get off with cold, wet fingers" 
and now Totten is having the opposite problem.  Quick, cover the eyes of our children!   

Nailed it Jon, you've been waiting to pull that out for a while..

and to quote Brett form the same post " in the end it's all about making ourselves happy, right?"

Edited by FLUID - 28 Feb 2014 at 3:57pm
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 8:17pm
Hey Totten,
I definitely agree with the Green being a great run to practice your technical moves and boofs. Unless you have really explored the side channels and interesting lines, you don't know what the Green has to offer. I would say that the green and the sky offer the best training grounds for paddlers looking to step up their game on water that isn't going to kick their ass. The Sky is great for dialing your class III+/IV, and a bit friendlier. I keep wondering why is it friendlier? I feel like the moves on the sky are more often followed by pools or clean channels, where is the green is a bit more continuous with more FU rocks if you flip. However, the moves on the green overall offer more amplitude, there are more moves to make and it is a gem. I followed Kevin Holte down a green lap and I was really impressed. Thanks to all the paddlers who are down with sharing the secrets of the flow. JP, tots, and Kevin to just name a few. I throughly enjoy the follow the leader on the technical lines, you learn a lot about a river.

Cheers to the Gurus out there. SYOTR.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version