Professor Paddle: Chehalis West Fork to Pe Ell vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Chehalis West Fork to Pe Ell Post Reply Post New Topic
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Topic: Chehalis West Fork to Pe Ell
    Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 10:50am
Im lookin at running this section next saturday. what can you tell me about it? Put in? Take out? Anything about the run? Thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 2:16pm
access gated. Weyco is denying you. sucks neat little run. wish i had better news. you can hike it. right along the grade, but i hate hoofing a perfectly good road.
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 5:52pm
and i suppose walking in one day and then running it the next is frowned upon also...
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 6:27pm
This is the run that I learned on back in the early 90's.  The lower part (WestFork to Chehalis) used to be good solid class III with a little IV.  The last time I was in there was Dec. 2007 with BIGWATER and JIHAD. We went in after the big flood and there was an epic wave just downstream of where the covered bridge used to be. Put-in used to be upstream of where the new road goes high, and the take-out was at the Pe-Ell bridge.  The new put-in is probably at the confluence of the east and west-forks.

I haven't been in there since 2007, but I'd bet it is worth checking out.  Depending on the season, the gates might be open (check with WeyCo to be sure). 

If you do run it, please post a Trip Report.  That used to be a great intermediate day run out of Oly.

Edited by geomorph - 23 Feb 2014 at 7:48pm
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 12:51pm
I just inquired about this a few weeks ago.  Road #1000 (that extends beyond the terminus of Muller Rd. near the Weyerhaeuser Pe Ell timberlands operations facility) is closed to public vehicle access.  The gate is partway up the new section of road that switchbacks up the hill from where the washout occurred.  Walk in access is allowed, and you can park at the old road berm and walk the old road bed, staying at river level.  That makes for somewhat easy access to the lower "above Pe Ell" gorge, as it's a fairly short hike upriver to get above the entry drop.  Beautiful, short gorge with a couple of fantastic play spots.  Lap potential?  But for anything upstream of here - the many miles of fun play water, Cape Horn / Fisk Falls, and the forks further upstream, AND Crim Creek - that makes for one heck of a hike...  FYI, Weyerhaeuser does issue a limited number of public permits that provide August - January vehicle access.  If I remember correctly, application period for those start June 2014    
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:33am
good info John. i believe there are limited permits, and they cost.
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 8:30pm
200 permits a year and they're all sold out
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 8:56am
They were sold out for the 2013 permit season, which went from Aug 2013 through Jan 14.  But in my discussions with Bruce Montgomery from Weyerhaeuser / Central WA Opperations division / Pe Ell Forest Area, he noted that the application period for the 2014 permits (which are valid Aug 2014 through Jan 2015) didn't begin until later this year (I think it was June, but don't quote me on that).  Bascially, you can pay for one of the limited (I think 200 is correct) public vehicle access permits, which allows you vehicle access from Aug-Jan.  Permit or no permit, there is no public vehicle access allowed Feb-July.  That's how I remember it...  It's definitely disappointing, as there was some good boating up that road.    
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version