Professor Paddle: OP!!!!!! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: OP!!!!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: OP!!!!!!
    Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 9:00pm
So I'm headed to the OP and am curious about any additional info on levels and lines people are willing to share.

I know most of the rivers out there are higher risk for logs. So scouting will be important. Any new wood reports?

I'm looking at Matheny Creek. Does the Upper/Lower section have any G5 drops, I know it's rated G4 but I've heard differing opinions.

Also looking to boat the Humptulips and Perfection Falls. Does anyone have any additional river suggestions or awesome camping spots?

CHEERS!
Megan
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 10:47pm
I think over 10k on the Queets is the general rule for Metheny. Be sure to check out the Metheny page- it is probably reliable at least in a general sense.

If you use the side creek (I forget the creeks name- its probably on the metheny page) put in way up, it'll be a skinny sketchy IV with gnarly mank ugly V fu*k up potential and often at least a bit of wood or more. As far as the stuff on Metheny Creek itself, I don't remember it having a strong class V flavor. There may be a little class V spice sprinkled into a few spots up near the top of the upper, but it is largely a class IV dish that tapers down to class III+ desert. Obviously added flow will make everything half a class harder or more depending on how much H2O you add.

As far as wood Im not convinced the OP has any more per se. But in my experience there is certainly more wood on the roads. Winds knock a lot of sh*t down out there (so yes, I spose there prolly is more wood in those creeks, esp. Those in the SW quadrant of the OP). Anyway bringing at least a bow saw (all I ever had out there) or even better yet a chainsaw is a good insurence policy that you can get in (and out of) your access points. High clearance rigs that can rally over low wood can't hurt. Bring plenty of tarps, dry firewood, and fuel to light it. That in essence, are the extra requirements for trips out there if you want comfort and ease. My fantasy set up would be a medium sized RV with a Jeep and have another sturdy 4wd rig out there too. 3-6 people and everyone can sleep and cook in the RV... But, now I'm just dreaming.

You can camp along the humptulips, and the put in for lower metheny (take out for the Upper/Middle combo) is right by the bridge. Prolly better for car camping tho. Take out for lower metheny may be better.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 11:26pm
hey Megan, a group us are going to be out there starting thursday. I think we are going to do the humptulips thursday and then look at levels. we'll defiantly be camping. if you want to join us for one or more days let me know,
Jared
360 566 248zero
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 12:36am
Hmm.
in this case PP's database for Matheny is pretty scant. I'm surprised. Its a popular run.
Megan, if you'd like I can dig up my river log and PM some beta to you. Let me know when u are going out there.

Humptulips is rad. Anyone who is feeling solid on the class III should definitely check it out if they got someone who knows the run. On of Washington's class III GEMS for sure. Great "adventure class III" due to its remote nature and canyon setting.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 8:52am
Thanks JP! I am leaving Thursday or Friday, so any additional info you may have would be awesome!
Jared I will probably see you out there!!!

jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 11:58am
As of last weekend, Matheny was amazingly clean.  The only portage on all three stretches (upper / middle / lower) was a step-over of a log in the upper section just above the drop leading into Sharks Fin Falls.  Also worth noting is that the Humptulips (all three sections) were clean earlier this fall.  There's a bit of wood collecting at the end of the gorge on the "Gorge" run, but there were a couple of options to sneak through this in your boat.  And the Wynoochee gorge was clean as well.  
If it stays sunny and cold, not sure Matheny will have water.   
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:16am
We are planning on the Humptulips Saturday!

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:16am
How low is too low in Matheny?

Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 12:09pm
The Lower goes at a wide range of levels, but the middle and upper I couldn't say for certain, but I'd wager that with the cold and lack or rain this week the upper would be locked down with snow. The Upper requires putting on a small tributary that is arguably the sketchiest part of the whole trip (wood, one major log jam, and pinny, manky rapids) and would be tough to get down with low water.

I've done it at 6000 on the queets with snow at the put in and that is about as low as I would like to do it. I've done it at 10,000 on the Queets and it was stomping high, but I've also done it at 10,000 on the Queets and it was a nice medium. Unfortunatly the Queets is a terrible gauge to use because it's such a big drainage.

Gauge rock picture

This guage rock is under the take out bridge on river left, there is a description of a couple of the different levels with correlations to the queets guage.

Also keep in mind that this run could be ELF'd effectivly because it's all bedrock for the most part, there might be a couple sketchy log boofs though, which may or may not be portagable.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 12:59pm
All three sections can be ELF'd, and it's good ELFing - if you like ELFing...  As Jed mentioned, the Queets is the USGS gauge everyone uses, and while it's not an exact correlation, it's better than nothing.  Assuming you're not dealing with low snow levels, 5K on the Queets correlates to nice lowish level (not ELF low) on Matheny.  Sometimes 4K on the Queets feels the same, sometimes it doesn't.  I've done all three sections in the 3700-4K, and that's getting ELF.  Still enjoyable, but ELF.  I know others who have been in there with the Queets at 2500cfs and said it was still worthwhile.  That may be because they just drove 3.5hrs to get there...  Above 5K, the lead-in to the drop zone on the upper cleans up, as do some of the in-between sections of the middle.  Somewhere in the 7K range on the Queets is normally pretty sweet.  10K can be sweet, and can be be getting pretty high - it depends.  Of course, there are some nice playspots on the lower run at high flows.  Using the rocks below the West Boundary Rd / FS Road 21 bridge (upstream side of the bridge), if the smaller (RR) of the two rocks has water flowing over it forming a wave, you'll have good levels.  If it's forming a hole, or if it's sticking out with an eddy behind it, things are low.  If the bigger of the two rocks has water flowing over it, hang on.   
FYI - when I do the upper, I no longer bother with the pinball scrape fest down the side creek from the closed bridge.  Instead, I walk across the bridge, up the road to the corner, cut into the woods, and traverse to Matheny proper.  The trick here is to not get "sucked" towards the side creek to your right.  If you do this, you'll end up dealing with "the swamp".  Stay just left of the swamp (you can wander through the left edge of it if you don't mind a bit of muck) and you'll be on a good path.          
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 2:21pm
Thanks for the alternative put in Beta, I had planned to try something like that next time I ran it.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 10:36pm
Hey Megan- I just sent you a PM with some info from my river log, although Im not sure how useful it is. Reading my Metheny entries it looks like I was slackin on those. But Almquist has probably run it as much as anyone around, and the Whitewater Intellect of Mr. Hawkes is sharp.

Looking at the 10 day outlook tho it doesn't bode well for water. I would think you'd want to see at least steady moderate rain to justify a trip out there. Queets is at 4,000 which is getting into that ELF flow range. But the Humptulips looks like its holding decent water...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 10:48pm
Yeah, Jon- next time I hope I remember to try that put in route. Sounds like a solution to that nasty 'lil side creek. My flat deck Diablo subbed out in a small drop just upstream of a huge nasty log jam. I totally got pinned. Had to carefully pop my skirt and hop out on the log before water gushed in. It was worth it though just to see the look on BigWater Bison's face! glad he was watching tho and he got my boat right away while I walked across these logs back to the bank. It was all controlled and casual, but still, that side creek sucked. I'd Rather walk. Even through a "swamp"!! But Upper Metheny itself is a lot of fun. Good QUALITY class IV tapering down to III+ on the middle.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:02pm
Since PP's database and my own river log entries are pretty vague, here's a quick quote from the master himself, Mr. Gary Korb...

He calls that little side creek put in
"The North Fork" (I can't find my topo map for Matheny, either)

He writes:
"From here you have two options, the first is just running the creek. You'll hit about 200 rocks and pin several times, but its fun! If the water is low the other option is to cross the bridge..."

- from "A Paddler's Guide To The Olympic Peninsula" by Gary Korb
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:34pm
Good info. Seems like the sort of beta that would make a good addition to the PP.com page(s) for Matheny.

If it hasn't already been added...I can cut and paste as well as anyone else, but if someone who has actually paddled Matheny and/or feels a sense of ownership for the entry wants to do the honors I'll hold off.
-Jay
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:54pm
Go for it. Its past my bed time and I got bigger fish to fry...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 8:49am
For what it's worth, Korb's guide book description of using the "North Fork" as one of the ways to access Matheny was written prior to that creek bed being completely obliterated by a flood.  It still goes, and everyone should try it once.  But it's not the same experience as it was before the flood.   
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version