Professor Paddle: break-down my break-down? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: break-down my break-down? Post Reply Post New Topic
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Topic: break-down my break-down?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:19am
Hey gang:

I had occasion recently to use my break-down for an extended period (about a month). Now that I have a new paddle it needs to be 'broken-down' to get back in my boat. I got the main shaft to separate, but the blades seem really, really tight. I have the locking-button recessed, but they still won't budge.

I didn't want to simply start yarding on the thing, but wondered if you all might have some nifty trick short of putting the blade in a towel in a gentle vise, etc. Thanks in advance for any useful input.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:39pm
Is it a yellow Werner break down?  I had one (can't remember the model name) and they ended up doing a return\recall on it because the model proved to be very difficult to separate.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:57pm
Thanks Scott. It is a red Powerhouse. I called them today and they didn't have any secrets. Maybe next time I'm driving through Sultan I'll stop in and let THEM try...If they can't get it apart, then...?
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by mokelumnekid

Hey gang:

I had occasion recently to use my break-down for an extended period (about a month). Now that I have a new paddle it needs to be 'broken-down' to get back in my boat. I got the main shaft to separate, but the blades seem really, really tight. I have the locking-button recessed, but they still won't budge.

I didn't want to simply start yarding on the thing, but wondered if you all might have some nifty trick short of putting the blade in a towel in a gentle vise, etc. Thanks in advance for any useful input.

Had the same problem a couple of times with a different make/model. The problem seemed to result from water causing the composite shaft material to swell slightly, and  getting some river-grit in the junction between the blade and the shaft didn't help either.

The first time it happened I took a heatgun (hairdryer is fine too) and heated up the shaft at the junction with the blade. This will expand the diameter of the shaft ever so slightly, and do so before the bit of the paddle on the inside of the shaft expands to an equal degree. This was enough to allow me to pull if apart the first time.

The second time this happened, it was more stubborn, so I shot WD-40 or something similar into the juction, then heated the shaft, then yanked the paddle as hard as I could through a padded constriction (wrapped towels around the uprights on a weight bench) that was tight enough to catch the blade and that worked after 2-3 tries.

Since this was a cheapo-paddle (aquabound) I decided that I never wanted to deal with that kind of hassle again so I sanded down the junctions on the paddle-ends ever so slightly and I haven't had the issue since. Not sure if anyone would want to do this with a nicer Werner paddle,but it's an option (though it might void the warranty?).
-Jay
paddlingjeff
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote paddlingjeff Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm
http://aquabound.com/frequently-asked-questions
This link has some tips for freeing a stuck paddle using an ice pack, or how to return your aquabound paddle for updating the ferrule.

mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:33pm
Great suggestions, thanks. I used it for about ten days on the Grand Canyon and that is some fine sticky dirt. I'll let you all know what eventually worked.
Lynn Wang
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Lynn Wang Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by JayB

[QUOTE=mokelumnekid]Hey gang:

The second time this happened, it was more stubborn, so I shot WD-40 or something similar into the juction, and that worked.
WD-40 is magical. If you can't get your paddle apart you can spray some on an arthritic joint or take dog poo off your shoe with it. Good luck George.
 http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/#slideshow=slide20
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:07pm
Always a good idea to store your multiple piece break-down broken down when not in use.  If you leave it together between uses, it's more likely to freeze up.    
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 1:02pm
We have winners- Jay and Lynn Wang. It took bookoo WD40 and two of us twisting but finally got 'er apart. Cleaned it all up and ready to go back in my on-board dry/float bag. Thanks for the suggestions Jon, I keep it broken down and in the boat all the time.

Thansk for the input everyone
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 1:36pm
If it happens again penetrating oil might work better than WD40, or at least not take as much.

Kyle
I smell bacon
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Wiggins

If it happens again penetrating oil might work better than WD40, or at least not take as much.

Kyle

Yeah - that's what I meant. Much better stuff for the job! Useful stuff to have around for stubborn/rusted-on bolts, etc.

-Jay
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version