Professor Paddle: Secret surf spot? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Secret surf spot? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Topic: Secret surf spot?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 3:00pm
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:59pm
Don't fret about this one, this spot has changed so much it's basicly not there anymore. Those photos were taken a few years ago when it was in perfect condition.
I'd encourage you to keep your eyes open and go hunting, I'm sure there are a lot of "secret" spots all around this state that none or very few of us know about. Discovery is half the fun!
Go exploring man, I bet you won't regret it!
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:05pm
Out of curiosity, where was this spot?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ENDO
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote ENDO Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:21pm
Why did I move.... I miss it. Damn flood. There is nothing really there anymore.

Edited by ENDO - 16 Oct 2013 at 12:14am
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:07pm
Kinda lame to post a picture of a sweet play spot (WA has very few) and not tell anyone where it is.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:06am
I have two opinions on the matter.

First because I love to fish I can appreciate keeping "spots" secret although I love to share with friends the spots that produce fish, I don't blab about them publicly. This is for one and only one reason. In the world of fishing more people means more pressure and more pressure means the spot or river/stretch gets trashed.

The thing is that this theory does not hold true to the whitewater world. There just are not enough boaters to make massive lines and impact  the surfing to warrant secrets but I guess you can always plan for that day that the crowds come... and hope in the meantime your spot don't wash away. Even on the busiest wenatchee day you can surf line free if you go at the right time and even during the peak you can still have a blast.

So considering both views, consider this, if you go out explore and find cool runs or play waves and you want to keep them secret for no other reason than to have "your spot" the only cooler thing is to post pics on public places.

There is a sweet fishing website that this photo reminds me where everyone uses MS paint to conceal themselves and the spots they are at... It usually looks like this.

Lastly consider if no one was willing to share, or even more importantly serve other people by helping in areas they have knowledge or abilities in...
ENDO
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote ENDO Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:32am
Alright, I am not certain of the feature because I never saw it in its prime, but pretty sure its the Tilton. Look BIGWATER almost every big weather event rants and raves for people to rally out to the tilton when its in its prime. Nobody comes out. It is one of the best play rivers in Washington. We offer to take so many people down it but they get scared away by the 2 mile paddle out and the 2 miles of flatwater above the canyon. I am sorry, but jihad has a point. Explore and you will find something. We have showed so many people down that river and have had very few ever return or consistently come back and paddle it. Besides, its filled in now. There has been plenty of word and plenty of opportunity to check it out. We have tried to rebuild it but its never been back. Im sorry, but there has been plenty of opportunity to figure out where this spot is. My two cents. And a word about the Bennet book.
"Some of the rapids have fantastic plays-pots that change constantly with fluctuations in water levels...." {Tilton River, page 92}
(sorry, sore about this because so many times I have been left hanging by paddlers who want to run this section because they hear about paddle out on the lake.... had to spend a weekend locked in the park because my shuttle never showed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMuxwWwGE0
3:30 shows the feature now.
ENDO
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote ENDO Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:35am
I realize they where posted on a public forum... but seriously make the trip south this winter and I will be plenty happy to show some new people down this run. Its one of the most dynamic rivers I have seen.
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:24pm
My intent is not to hide good river play spots, but to get people to open their eyes as they paddle and look for places like this. I've seen many a boater come all the way from Seattle or Portland to paddle this river and completely blow past this spot without even giving it a second glance, even when it was prime. And not just creekboaters either. I would not be that surprised if those who are complaining about this being a secret have indeed blown past this one as they paddled the river or even surfed it once, deemed it mediocre, and floated downstream without giving it a second thought. It might be a good idea to slow down and take time to smell the roses, or should it be surf waves in this case?
This "secret" spot is not secret at all, it's just that people don't value it very much until they see a photo of it and think that it's a new spot that's being hidden from them.
Open your eyes my friends, it's right under your playboat!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 1:03pm
How kind of you to take your time to teach folks. I could really care less about it either way, I was originally amused when you first posted your secret spot knowing it was probably on the Tilton but never really cared enough to comment until I saw photos like these on a different website and considered the comparison. That is what I thought was funny.

I like the idea of MSpaintin beards and ninja masks for concealment.

Oh and I don't recommend that anyone visit the website I am talking about, it is full of complete degenerates and the lowest possible rung of society talking filth and vile words of waste.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 1:10pm
I usually miss all the good surf spots because i am always swimming.... and i have my head so far up my ass....

i am constantly exploring.. for example, i am exploring the internet right now for a good synonym for pretentious.... i found one, but i am gonna keep it a secret
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 2:12pm
Sorry for coming across as overly preachy. But I do have to ask, have you kayaked the Tilton before? If you have, you've seen this spot. If not, you should, it's a great run.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by James

How kind of you to take your time to teach folks. I could really care less about it either way, I was originally amused when you first posted your secret spot knowing it was probably on the Tilton but never really cared enough to comment until I saw photos like these on a different website and considered the comparison. That is what I thought was funny.

I like the idea of MSpaintin beards and ninja masks for concealment.

Oh and I don't recommend that anyone visit the website I am talking about, it is full of complete degenerates and the lowest possible rung of society talking filth and vile words of waste.

[Inside Joke]

Everyone concealing their spots is clearly worried about Nate Treat finding out about their secret spots and shaming them by hauling in BLITZ LIMITS before they've even finished rigging up.

That's right.

BLITZ....LIMITS....Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

[/inside joke]
-Jay
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:09pm
treat fishes that canyon. he grew up there. he slays and rapes.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:01pm

I like this thread. No one hardly said anything rude, insulting, or anything. And yet there is still some little riff on the tiff there.

I think Jihad and Endo are spot on.
PPeeps just need to open there eyes.
Everyone wants to "Step it Up". But no one wants to drive down to one of the finest III+ runs in the state (Tilt On, Oly boaters!!). They call it true: PPeeps are afraid of a little flatwater, and that's exactly why the majority of paddlers today can't paddle through a wet paper bag with any kind of style and grace. (When I say "paddle" I ain't refering to the broader activity of whitewater kayaking, Driftwood, I'm talking about- c'mon- in unison now: "The Forward Stroke")

Non Violent Comunication asked an innocent enough question though...
But sounds like Mother Nature doth make it a moot point.

And, fu*k you Sam Grafton- if you share a secret spot it isn't secret anymore, now is it?

Then Nutty P comes on here and starts tossin Fish guts at us. Hey man I remember when the word Fisherman was officially recognised on this site as a swear word, and treated as such. You're a SELLOUT!! MS paint that, muddiPhukka!

Then SopWithorWithoutCamel (not sure which) comes on talkin bout raping, and slayin an sh*t...

Man, my mama taught me it wasn't nice to rape and slay sh*t.
If you see some extra props dished out, you can guess who dished 'em!

This forum is every bit as degenerative as that fishin site, if you ask me.

And if you take this post seriously much, well, shame on you. I'm just contributing to the entertaining sillyness of this whole thread. Way to go boys!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:03pm
JP I'm sorry if someone really wants something to be a secret they wont post it on PP. I have plenty of "secret drops" that I don't post on here or FB because I'm not looking for attention. My point is we have almost no good play in WA The Wenatchee and Sky at certain levels yes but a good year round park and play spot is what the Evergreen state is missing.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:35pm
Happy Hour! 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 7:31pm
Oh I hardly disagree with you, Sam-
The only reason I gave you sh*t is because you seemed so serious, on a thread that I hardly can take seriously at all. I'd say Slickhorn hit the nail on the head. Not hard to get away from the crowds here in Whitewater Washington. In fact, even with standard sized crews to routinely mix and match with, I find it generally a secluded experience (which is nice, and enviable if you were to ask your average east coaster), so when there are big mobs that collect on the Green, Sky, or Wenatchee, I tend to get stoked that there's a crowd and a scene. Its nice now and then.

But I'm not even sure that Wallyworld or whoever posted the pic and titled it "Secret Surf Spot" or whatever really intending for it to seriously be kept secret. I think yall are reading way too much into this after the way Ppeeps may have randomly responded in the peanutTY gallery.

There's hardly any playboating in WA, and hardly any need to keep any of it secret, but who cares anyway? If that's someone's trip let them hide away in their "secret spots" and enjoy their seclusion. We got enough avid whitewater ppeeps roving the region with gopros, blogs, hell some geeks probably already smartphon'n their asses down a run. Dude, MS paint ain't up to the job of puttin that jeanie back in the bottle, and neither is Sherwan Williams, bitch. So any "secrets" out there won't remain so for too long.

There's a short rapid on the Green called "Secret Class IV". Yet, I am always telling whoever I can about it. The reason (according to my interpretation, anyway) that the rapid may have been named that is because it has a coupla class IV lines on R. Right that remain a "secret" because most boaters blow right by it every time by staying in the main flow to the left (gravy train class III). This rapid hosts the tallest boof on the entire run. A great class IV+ move that would be right at home as part of a more complex, class V rapid. So its a good move to hit for those who are "stepping it up" gosh I hate that term. But not many aspiring creekers know about it or hit it up.

Of course Almquist knows about it. Not much out there that flows downhill that is a secret to him. Grinch knows that line too. I saw him crush it about two weeks ago. It ain't no secret that I usually hit that boof. Its just secret because it is overlooked.

Hell I got "secret" lines all over the Upper Green. I wish more people would follow them and dial in the specific "goals" that these little exercises can achieve. I gaurantee that if the average class III/IV boater were to start learning some of these lines and hitting them (in a creekboat) on a semi-regular basis, they would see a marked improvement in their accuracy as it can be applied to class IV whitewater. Let this Cat Out Of The Bag, just to name an example.

And with the Tilton regulars, that's what you are dealing with: some dedicated PPeeps that love their local gem and wish more boaters would come share it w/ them. That's all. People get passionate about what they love.

Happy hour indeed! (A bit late for me)
I'm gonna raise a toast to everyone who posted on this thread.
Cheers!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:04am
Happy hour is an old cartwheel spot on the MM, its still in probably but I bet no one goes there anymore.... most folks don't know about because its upstream of the put in

I find playboating to be like bellbottoms. Its just kinda out of style right now but still fun to wear on occasion, however very popular with our up coming and older generation. The class five extreme races are getting way more attention than rodeo circuits i.e (Adidas Sickline Race, WW grand pre) and I think river running and expedition will always be the core of kayaking. Remember when all the marketing was aimed at freestyle and most of your local class V boaters and pro's would be exploring "different playspots" and trying all the new moves. You couldn't even be a pro unless you were on the "rodeo circuit". In the evolution of play boats in a blast of five years from the vertigo to the midevil, the foreplay to the Kingpin. now days its funny I don"t see a lot of my friends or my self included brake out the Ol play boat till the Wenatchee comes in or your on the sky or green. Even pro's rarely get into a play boat these days. Except the few up in the ottawa zone where play boating is logit and they are going bigger than ever on massive features you can't find anywhere else in the world. Bellbottoms...... but hey ! they still wear mullets up in ottawa eh... Surfing :)

I kinda miss play boating .. it helped with core strength and really kept my skills sharp. Jock Bradley said it best " playboating is like masterbating, it's really fun to do, but sucks to watch. hahaha that was my favorite !!!

Man playboating sounds so cold in the winter.... we need more big waves because surfing is fun, we have the big volume rivers we just don't have the gradient or geology where we need it or theres a f**king dam. can you imagine the play on the cowlitz or columbia ?

Edited by FLUID - 18 Oct 2013 at 2:15am
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:06am
Originally posted by slickhorn

secret playboat spots? puh-lease.

the real secret stash is knowing dry spots for mid-february safety breaks!

Edited by FLUID - 18 Oct 2013 at 2:17am
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:05am
A quick search for Happy Hour came up with this from Mr. Almquist earlier this year - makes me want to get out someday and give it a try with the requisite river-side coolers....might have to find my old Inazone first though:

Quote:

"Ah, the last rapid before the concrete bridge...  I'm assuming you're talking the rapid that is just around the corner and out of site from the bridge (you can see the bridge from the end of the pool at the base of the rapid).  That rapid is, or was, the location of "Happy Hour" - a playspot that used to be popular back in the days of carwheels.  Many spring after-work happy hours were spent there, coolers on the gravel bar, Russian Butte dominating the skyline, impromtu rodeos (which Kelly always won)...  Good memories!    "
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:38am
Originally posted by jP

Everyone wants to "Step it Up". But no one wants to drive down to one of the finest III+ runs in the state (Tilt On, Oly boaters!!). They call it true: PPeeps are afraid of a little flatwater, and that's exactly why the majority of paddlers today can't paddle through a wet paper bag with any kind of style and grace. (When I say "paddle" I ain't refering to the broader activity of whitewater kayaking, Driftwood, I'm talking about- c'mon- in unison now: "The Forward Stroke")

JP and I have similar boating philosophies for ourselves. I don't like being driftwood. But the overall logic is faulty because it's based on the assumption that "everyone wants to step it up". This is simply not true. Not everybody wants to step it up. Some people just want to go out and enjoy nature and the outdoors while they float down the river. I fail to see the fault with this approach. In fact, on specific days I feel like this too, like if I'm sick, or I have been boating hard and just want a relaxing day.

If you want to step it up, then yes, JP's argument is appropriate. However, not everyone wants the same thing out of paddling, and JP's (repeated) position doesn't leave room for someone to have the experience they choose for themselves. Not validating a paddler's choice for his/her own experience on the river is not something with which I can agree.

I'm sure JP understands this but like me struggles to state concepts precisely to avoid presenting an absolute position.

Edited by chipmaney - 18 Oct 2013 at 9:49am
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm

I'll watch! 

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 3:23pm
Just for arguements sake and really not because it matters, just for discussion truly!! I don't know Jared all that well but I know he is not a dick and never intended to post a pic to purposefully make people mad, so lets not let it go that direction.

But.. with the discussion of JP and watching on the river... anyone that has spent much time playboating, and uh Oh JP gonna call you out cause a playboater you are not! Soul surfer quite, but little spud boater, nah.. My point? Playboaters that go after it quickly find that features vary massively based on flow... while a feature might be present in a 5000cfs range it might only be primo in a 1000cfs range, and much smaller ranges on most rivers.

What does that mean... well unless you are local on the run or have really good beta you are going to have to do the run at alot of different levels to find all the features and get the lay of the land.

I have never once been in a playboat with others and floated by even a halfway decent wave and not gone after it. Think about it folks. the group hunts down any surfable wave there might be... the only exception I have ever found to this is on a large river where you go to one feature... surf get blown off only to realize you missed one on the opposite side of the river and will now have to go do another run so you can get both of them... but usually it is impossible to make both waves in the same run. Think Thompson or the waves in Snowblind.

I guess what I am getting at is that it is much more common in my view for people to slop down creek runs and driftwood through rivers than it is for playboaters to pass by waves because they are not paying attention.
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by jalmquist

I'll watch! 

Hahaha Yes!!
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic