Professor Paddle: Paddling solo? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Paddling solo? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doggievacation Replybullet Topic: Paddling solo?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:20am
I have been tempted to paddle solo many times... usually on a sunny day when my local runs (Nooksack Canyon or Sauk) are running at a nice level and I can't find anyone to boat with.  But I've never done it because I'm chicken.

I have never had a problem on either run, even though I've run them a lot (Nooksack Canyon 50 times, Sauk 30 times).  Both runs are well below the hardest runs I've done w/o problems including Ingalls/Peshastin, CC Stilly, Farmlands, etc.  I don't boat at that level anymore (not after Texas Dave and Arn, my former crew, skipped town) but I get out enough to feel very comfortable in my boat on III+ water.  In other words, I really think/feel that I could do these runs safely while solo, yet I don't.

I'm curious to hear from those of you who paddle solo.  How do you evaluate your risk level?  Does being solo make you dial things back a step, or do you charge ahead on runs you know will be a challenge?  Do you paddle solo by choice (i.e., you could have boated with someone if you wanted to) or do you only paddle solo when no one else is available to hit the run you want to hit?  How do you handle the logistics of boating solo?  (hitching before the run or after?  Hiding your gear in the woods or taking it with you?)

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by doggievacation - 27 Sep 2013 at 3:41pm
Don't waste water!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 3:44pm
I spend the majority of my time solo boating. Not because I prefer it that way, but because of the aforementioned reason - nobody to go with. I often get off work weekday mornings; probably the least desired time for most people to paddle, and have limited other opportunities to go.
You're not chicken, just cautious. I'd say that is a normal feeling and one you shouldn't ignore. That cautiousness should be listened to carefully throughout your solo boating experiences.
I think there are several areas that need to be considered with solo boating. It should be...
- a run you are very familiar with
- a run you are nearly 100% on the lines - if not, time to portage
- confident in your skills (about your successful run)
- know how to hike/get out
- comfortable/confident with self rescue (swim to shore, etc)
- OK with losing your paddle and boat
- ability to keep a cool head (something is eventually going to go on, how you respond will greatly affect the outcome)
I was very reluctant and nervous on my first several solo kayaking missions. The more I have done it the more comfortable I've become. There is a sense of security kayaking with a group - to some degree I'd call it a false sense of security. Although there are countless situations where others can lend a hand, for the most part many of them can be mitigated by the individual alone. And more-so the primary cause of an incident is always an individual action. There are very few instances that would not have happened if you were with a group. In fact the opposite is true - you are more likely to be distracted boating with others or run into a problem because of someone else.
There are still plenty of times where I head off to the river and feel nervous because I'm alone. The other day I headed off to boat after work and it had been quite a while since flying solo. I hadn't done the run in a bit and didn't know the wood situation. All contributing to my 'nervousness.' I decided to take it a little slower, scout out some lines and make sure I was feeling good. Usually the feeling slips away at some point and it turns into a very enjoyable time.
I need to take the kids outside, when I get a chance, I will try and answer some of your questions directly.

Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 4:51pm
A few years ago I did the MM at 1500 on a beautiful late spring day where I couldn't find anyone to boat.  It was liberating in a way and still a small highlight in my boating career for me.  I was very confident on my lines, but because I was solo it had just enough edge to get my adrenaline up.  I don't know if I would be so bold as to tell you to go for it since its a personal choice - but if you did, I think you'd be glad you tried it.

Edited by Scott_H - 27 Sep 2013 at 4:55pm
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 4:58pm
I have found myself boating solo more often earlier this year as there was a lack of boaters in my area (Fraser Valley, BC) to boat stuff I wanted during the hours I could boat as I get off work around 330 weekdays, most friends get off later. Though I prefer to boat with others also. I completely agree with everything WA-Boater has to say.

I carry a lock to lock my boat to a post or tree at the end of the run and usually jog back to the car, most runs I solo are shorter runs conveniently. I used to dial it back, but less as you get accustomed to it. There are times when it's nice to solo, you notice things a lot more as you aren't always engaged with people, and it's a very calming and focusing experience I find.

Speaking of Nooksack canyon, Horseshoe Bend is a run I solo a lot as it's short, easy shuttle, you can lap the main part of the run easily and close to home. If you're looking for paddlers in that area let me know.
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 6:42pm
I have never had a problem on either run, even though I've run them a lot (Nooksack Canyon 50 times, Sauk 30 times). Both runs are well below the hardest runs I've done w/o problems including Ingalls/Peshastin, CC Stilly, Farmlands, etc.
- this is a good place to start with soloing --> i might add that you should plan to have a problem at some point. you won't be as surprised when it happens.

How do you evaluate your risk level?
-I usually paddle runs I am familiar with for starters and make sure my skills are polished up. To some degree, for me anyways, I get in a zone when I'm by myself. I'm not distracted watching others and way more focused on what I'm doing. Thus less risk with being more focused.

Does being solo make you dial things back a step, or do you charge ahead on runs you know will be a challenge?
-Both. The norm is to dial it back. However, some of the harder runs I've done have been solo. I'd also argue that the harder the run, the less others would be able to do anyways. Say flood boating or just high water - not much others can do. Also, plan to kiss your boat and paddle goodbye if the swim happens.

Do you paddle solo by choice?
- For the most part it's because no one else is available to boat with. However, with kids at home and time constraints or responsibilities that go with that, there are times it is quicker to fly solo.

How do you handle the logistics of boating solo?
-I prefer to shuttle first. Always a good idea to have your ride at the take-out in case something goes wrong. Better luck hitching dry than wet. I usually stash my gear and boat in the woods, drive to take-out and hitch it.

I've really enjoyed boating solo. Something I never planned to do, but just sort of happened. It also makes you appreciate paddling with others more too.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 7:30pm
Great topic, Doggie!

Wa-Boater sums up the main points pretty well. I boat solo now more than ever, for a variety of reasons, not necessarily prioritized in the order I'll list them...

-No one to boat with. Recently in Leavenworth, if Fuqua and Michelle we're available, then I had to go by myself. Lots of people to hit the play run with, but few creek boaters who are available all the time

-I love boating with people. But one way or another, the group mindset always defines and limits the parameters of the experience. When I'm by myself I can shape the trip however I want. Like the day I ran Icicle solo with my binocculars. I'd seen a sh*t ton of Western Tanagers the day before, and my buddy got himself busted up being a gaper after another recent injury- kinda made me temporarily feel like boating with peeps was inherently LESS SAFE. (Also this was in the wake of Sam's Jaw breaker experience, so it was thick in the air. So I took the binocculars, blocked out different access points than normal, and had a "whitewater bird watching trip". You usually can't get someone to break their normal routine to accomodate you like that, so a solo trip is nice. Or sometimes maybe I just want to stop and have a picnic in the middle of some rapid- climb out on a midstream boulder, get naked, take a nap, ect. A lot of extra freedom when you don't have to clear your agenda through someone else. Sometimes I just want to scout some rapid for whatever reason, that I've never really seen because its not "difficult" enough to warrant scouting.

-I have understood Wa-Boater's "everyman for himself" theory for quite some time now. Not to put words in his mouth, but essentially it is an opinion that we all have a false sense of security by paddling in groups. Now, I agree to an extent, but I also believe it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THAT. But, people aren't as aware of each other as they would need to be to flat out disprove the theory. So part of what I explore when paddling solo is: where is that fuzzy grey line really at? For example, all of us walk down sidewalks all the time. But, take a catwalk the same width and suspend it over the Grand Canyon, and suddenly my kness are gonna be wobbly, I may even feel the urge to crawl on all fours. But what has changed? The exposure has changed, but 3-4' should be plenty wide to casually walk down a sidewalk that just happens to fall off into space on either side, right? Its all phsychological, and I like to explore where that line should be drawn, because something about a false sense of security really bothers me.

Now, having said that, and here we get into the nuts n bolts of how to go about boat'n solo and staying safe, the ACA safety code, AW, ect. All say "never boat alone". I think it is a good rule, without rehashing WaBoater's points too much. Yes, most accidents are avoidable and stem from our own actions, but "using the buddy system" is a good rule. One made to be broken though. When one starts boating, one should adhere to these rules. Don't be drunk. Don't boat under the influence of drugs. Don't boat at night.

But rules were made to be broken. Hopefully after following them for awhile though, so you know where your wiggle room is. and You won't catch me boating in the full moon by myself on Acid, although taken seperately, those are three rules I've broken on more than one occassion. My daddy taught me to never break more than one law at a time and that sums that one up. So I think its worth being extra cautious when you do boat alone.

Maybe walk that one crux rapid if its got you on the fence, or scout it at least. Take more sneak lines or less aggressive ones at least. And familiarity is a good thing, or, if you want to run an unknown run, choose one that's a class easier than the stuff that challenges you.

Edited by jP - 27 Sep 2013 at 7:36pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 7:52pm
Dude, I think 30+ runs down a strech you are comfortable w/ is fair game to solo. Go n run the Sauk. Just be aware that a swim is always a possibility, and you may then lose gear.

Logistics:
I agree w/ the Might D that its good to have that rig at T.O. Almost an imperitive during the winter months. I know D is a fan of the thumb, but I'm not. I like the bike. But to set my van at T.O. requires an extra "there & back", since most runs are approached from downstream. Way easier to drop bike at T.O. on the way up, but if I have extra time, I find that a bike ride up to the put in where my gear is waiting provides an awesome warm up, and I'm usually on fire when I put on!

I stash my sh*t in the woods, but lock up the bike.

You should totally solo the Sauk sometime when your chops are up, and you've been out on it regularly so no wood can surprise you.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by jP

My daddy taught me to never break more than one law at a time and that sums that one up.

Are you sure that wasn't me? As your attorney that sounds like advice I would offer.
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:00am
I've done a little solo boating. I'm an advocate of it for the experienced paddler. Its a special experience and well worth the risks for folks who have self rescued before and who are comfortable making decisions on their own and running point.

A couple of years ago I IK'd the Sauk at 9000 solo and met a group of friends below the lumber mill who were camping out. They put in at the lumber mill and I just couldn't pass up that water flow. It was awesome. I was gripped but felt very alive. A guy from a commercial outfit tried to talk me out of it at the put in. He was convinced I was OK when he asked me the highest I had ever run the Sauk and how many times...it was weird trying to convince a boater I was prepared and excited to run solo...

Another time I solo Ik'd the Upper Cascade. No one was available to do the Class V run on a Sunday after we had a large group of cats on Saturday. I had one of the guys drive me up to the put in. That was one spooky experience. At one point I was carrying through the woods, trying to find the river again and I came upon a scene that freaked me out big time. It looked like a small furry creature had exploded in the woods. Tree branches were broken, fur every where, and dripping blood....lots of blood. I got so freaked out I double timed it in the direction of where I thought the river was. Eventually I found it but I had another 5 or so portages...it took me a couple of days to realize what I had seen was a fresh removal of velvet from some antlered animal's horns. That must be what it was.

To be in a place that hardly ever gets visited, by myself was quite a trip! It was very wild and beautiful up there and it felt like no humans had been around in a long long time, if ever.

I think knowing the run is very important but it can be fun to go on a new adventure by yourself too. That upper Cascade run is mostly Class 2 but the wood everywhere and the fact that I had never been there made it feel like adventurous Class 2...adventurous class 2 is fun.

I think its important that someone knows what you are doing and they should expect you to check in when you get off the river. Also...instead of locking my bike or boat, I hide them in the woods.

MORE RAIN PLEASE
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 1:21am
Get a hitch receiver. I'll give you my garage code, and you can take my scooter whenever you want to do a solo run. Use the bike lock for your gear when you go back for the car. Shuttle problem solved!

Kyle
I smell bacon
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 1:28am
Woah. Good topic.
Like others, soloing for me is usually driven by not having anyone else free to paddle with during the week. Not always though. The original few missions that came about of being desperate to paddle on my days off mid-week and having no one else free gave way to paddling solo sometimes because I couldn't find a partner for a specific run. I never pass up paddling with awesome people. If its a choice between solo on a favorite run or paddling with a group on a different wavelength,however, it's solo. I think any solo experience whether it be on a river, on a climb, or any outdoor excursion allows you to experience the world around in a very different way. When other people are removed from your journey from point A to point B it changes your experience as a traveler completely. The commitment increases in some ways very little, like removing the "false security" that comes with groups. But in some ways it increases greatly, like the high likely hood of loosing your paddle and boat if you swim. The commitment is real but no more real than when you're with people. I rarely push myself when I am by myself. I am usually less interested in doing so because I am usually more interested in "soaking it all up." Even when I'm playboating, I usually concentrate on everything except the intensity. Sometimes though...

I like what WA Boater said about expecting things going wrong. You really do have to be ready for how things might go wrong and there not be anyone else.

As for shuttle, I use it to add a cardio component to any run. why not?

Edited by kevinh - 28 Sep 2013 at 1:29am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 6:25am
Wow!  You guys are providing some great feedback.  Thank you.

While I've never paddled WW solo, I have done A LOT of solo sea kayaking including two months solo in Baja.  In the beginning, I was super cautious, but as I became more experienced with solo paddling, I began to do longer, more exposed trips and felt that my risk level was acceptable.  I think this experience made me a much better paddler because ALL decision-making fell on my shoulders and I knew that no one (especially in remote parts of Baja) was going to help me if I ran into trouble.  When you start your trip with the mentality that "no one is going to rescue me, ever" it really heightens your awareness.  It makes you focus in a way that doesn't happen on a group trip.  It's interesting to hear you guys describe the same feeling about paddling WW solo.  I totally get what you're saying.

As for dealing with situations that go bad when you're solo, I got a little taste of that about six weeks ago when I slipped and fell while scrambling off-trail on steep, broken rock.  I fell fast and hard and came back up with a numb wrist and a broken finger.  I cussed for a few minutes, but calmed down quickly after I realized that I could still climb out w/o using one hand.  Then, I emptied out a ziplock bag, filled it with snow, and iced my hand/finger while I continued to my destination.  If you're going to go solo (whether paddling, climbing, whatever) you have to accept that you might have to deal with some scary or painful situations on your own.  And you have to accept that you might lose your gear (or boat or paddle) in order to save yourself.

There is a definite risk/reward trade off with solo boating, but I always felt that most people don't understand the reward part unless they've done it.  The most fun/memorable sea kayak trips I have been on have all been solo trips.

I am definitely interested to try WW boating solo and will probably start VERY conservatively and then build up slowly from there.  The hardest part will be convincing my GF that I can do this safely.  She boated for a while and, like all of us, had it drilled into her head that it is ALWAYS unsafe to paddle solo.  (Though she accepts me sea kayaking solo since I've done it so much.)

I have met solo WW boaters before when I've been out paddling and they always fall into one of two groups:  complete beginners who don't have a clue or Class V boaters who know exactly what they are doing.  Though I'm not a Class V boater (and probably never will be) I think I know enough to make the risk acceptable.
Don't waste water!
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 10:20pm
Just thought I'd through in my 2 cents. I am an occasional class V boater (Top Tye, Green Truss, Tummwater), and very comfortable class IV (Most of my favorite runs). That said, I have only boated solo on class III (Middle Middle, and Green Gorge), and only because I could not find anyone else. They are runs I am very familiar with.

There have been some good point here, and to some degree I agree with all of them. It is unfurtunate however (though in many cases true) that people feel that boating with others offers a "false sense of security". I have been involved with several situations where someone would not be alive today if not for the group they were boating with. I have also witnessed situations where it would not have mattered who or how many others where there, only the person in trouble could get themselves out.

There are runs out there that you are boating solo no matter who you are with, and there are runs that I would not boat without at least 2 other (competent) people.

Asses the risk, and decide for yourself (I've had drives to the river and shuttles that were more dangerous than the run). Everything you do has some risk (even staying home), everyone simply chooses thier own limit. Playing russian roullette with 1 chamber loaded is alot less risky than playing with 5 loaded chambers (maybe a bad analogy, but you get the point).

One last thing, an argument for going solo that I haven't heard yet. When you are by yourself, you don't have to worry about how competent the other people in the group are (If you do, well thats a whole different topic).
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:27am
my 2 cents

Solo boating is generally not recommended: the rule exists for a pretty good reason. Those that break the rule should not necessarily be used as an example (Darren is not your typical kayaker).

If you are someone who gets out a lot, I believe there is some value in occasionally soloing (ie once or twice per year) a run that you paddle frequently.
I think we all use our paddling buddies as a bit of a crutch. Most of us will be more likely to step up and run something if we see someone else have a good line. By removing this influence it will give you the opportunity to see for yourself what your comfort level actually is. Most paddlers will inevitably boat more conservatively if they are by themselves. Try to use this as a learning experience that can influence how you boat when others are around.
I became a much safer boater when I adapted the attitude that as much as possible I pick lines that I would run even if no other paddlers were present. If you are tempted to run a rapid just because there are others around that can clean up your yardsale...maybe that's a good reason to portage.

As far as shuttle, I almost always save it for after the run. I usually leave a bike at takeout but always spend a bit of time thumbing a ride before hopping on the bike.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
Get a trail 90 or something equivalent. other than that most points covered already by others. good luck, have fun
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 2:09pm
I love solo Laps for a good workout. A lot of people don't want to spend time as a group attaining, ferrying, or catching every eddy out there. Best practice you can get though.

My favorite routine is to park just below exit in the paved pullout on hwy2, 3 minute walk up to exit, put on partway in exit for a little more excitement, then catch every single eddy and cover as much lateral and upstream distance as possible to the next pool. About 30 minutes of consistant physical paddling. Take out and walk 5 minutes back to the car (or rv and make breakfast).

While living near Montreal I found a class 2/3 stretch 5 minutes from home that allowed 2km descent and attainment all the way back up with only one walk. I'll be spending a lot of time on that next month to work my shoulder back up.
"Full Face" Andy
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by SOPBOATER

Get a trail 90 or something equivalent. other than that most points covered already by others. good luck, have fun

What?! "Get a Trail 90"?! That's it?! Coming from one of the most elusive species of Washington Solo boaters...

SopWithCamelBoater, that's all the wisdom you would share?

Ladies and Gentleman, this man has boated so much on the OP by himself, he has moss growing on the underside of his nut sack (according to modern Quinalt urban legend)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:36am
Interesting where Fiddleyak weighed in on this one- I figured you'd advocate a little more strongly in favor of solo boating, Ben.

I agree the "buddy system" rule is in place for many good reasons.
And, Larry, you are kinda right: I may have poured it on abit thick about the "false sense of security" of boating in a group. After all the rescues that have taken place (whether I was involved as the rescuer or the one being rescued), it is definitely a sort of safety net having peeps around. But, those people have to be alert to do the swimmer any good.

I like what Ben said about the subtle ways we are influenced by the comradery of "group stoke". How many times have you wanted to fire up a crux move that you were capable of, yet were paddling with another person who dampened that spark, and then you are portaging with that person? I have been on both sides of that fence.

I always pick runs I know I can solo confidently. But looking back, it is interesting how my faith has been tested on a lot of the harder solo runs I've done. Some brief sh*t has gone down. Then again I was always able to work it out in my boat. Well, except for one time. I was too "off the couch" to be running what I ran solo, at an unreasonable flow, considering how little I knew (or how much I took for granted) the rapid that got me out of my boat and wisked away my gear. A rapid I never considered would give me trouble. But at that flow it wasn't the same river I thought I knew. And instead of acknowledging where I was at that day as a boater, I took for granted my years of experience. In the end it all didn't add up to a clean line to the take out. But, I learned some valuable stuff that day and confirmed what had been theories. (Swimming high water by yourself is an illuminating experience).

Mostly I appreciate the solo experience as a very spiritual one. Magical. I agree it should be judiciously invoked, but I also consider it integral to the overall "whitewater balanced diet" for the avid paddler. At least once in awhile on the backyard run you know like the back of your hand.

And you are right about solo sea kayaking- done a fair bit of that and found it to be very pleasant and enriching. Having no one around to bounce your thoughts and perceptions off of, making those large scale decisions based on weather, current, distance, ect.

Ben you are right when you say most of us use the group as a crutch. Cool to explore the negative space that is left when you strip that element from the equation.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:42am
I have nothing against solo boating. You are not putting anyone at risk but yourself and if you are willing to take that risk that should be your choice. I've done it, just on easier familiar runs. Just don't underastimate the value of paddling with a good group. BTW the Wenatchee play run does not count as boating solo.

JP, I still feel bad about calling 911, Just didn't know what else to do. When I came around the corner, I don't know if I was more relieved that you were OK, or more upset that they had you in hand cuffs (that was just messed up).
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 12:22pm
I solo all the time. It is one of my main workouts, but I stick to easy short walkable runs. If I didnt solo, I would weigh 300 lbs. I dont like workout clubs.
Nomad
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 4:24pm
This is my solo rig, check Ebay for "motorized bicycle" it only costs about $150 to turn a normal bicycle into a reliable moped that will blow the doors off of electric bicycles. 30MPH!

I only solo when I can't find anyone to go with. I have done the Ohane and Tilton both several times. I notice myself picking more conservative lines, taking more time and walking more than I would in a group.
I have to admit being in a canyon all by yourself is a spiritual experience. I'm on edge but super stoked the whole day. Going 30mph on a Huffy back to the takeout is probably more dangerous than the run! :P
H2O please
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 6:06pm
Soloing the Green is one of my Top 5 favorite runs. 1800-2500 cfs. It's a spiritual place if you can shed the noise.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 6:27pm
I was always pretty apprehensive about solo boating until the beginning of this last summer when a friend gave me a set of water proof head phones and a water proof phone case. Something about banging out to some heavy dubstep or some dope hip hop totally chilled me out while I was paddling by myself. It pretty much feels like you are the star of your own kayaking movie.

Granted, all of the same safety precautions mentioned should be taken. Especially running familiar and consistently styled runs. I had an awesome season of paddling lots of lower icicle and dam down on tumwater solo runs.

A special thanks to OVERWERK, Andre Nikatina, Mac Dre, A$AP, and all of the travelers who are cool with getting the passenger seat of their car a bit damp...
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by chipmaney

Soloing the Green is one of my Top 5 favorite runs. 1800-2500 cfs. It's a spiritual place if you can shed the noise.

The shuttle is not really that bad to run either... I would recommend shoes and not rodeo socks though... made that mistake before.
wday
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote wday Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:58am
I think everyone should do a few solo trips. It's a good way to check in with where your really at. On a solo trip you will usually get clear and direct feedback about the decisions your making. For me it's the best way to answer questions like how good are my skills, what are my strengths & weakness', what are my fears, why am I out here doing this, am I being safe or reckless, can I figure out a shuttle, can I read a map...some of these are more important than others and a for me a solo trip is the best way to start answering them. I would say the biggest "rule" is you have to be OK with losing all your gear and plan some way to get back home if that happens.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version