Professor Paddle: kayaking technique vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: kayaking technique Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Topic: kayaking technique
    Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 4:01pm
that title is pretty broad. I am curious about proper rolling / bracing technique to avoid injury.  Folks talk about creating the box between your shoulders, elbows and paddle, and generally paddling / moving with your core muscles and keeping that box fairly the same.

rolling technique has clearly advanced since the Eskimos era.Whenever folks are learning to roll a kayak, the advice is always the same.  "keep your head down and keep that elbow glued in to your ribs"

But thinking critically about that elbow,  if that elbow is seriously glued to the ribs, it seems unnatural and possibly putting unnecessary force on the shoulder.   maybe keeping the elbow at like 30 degrees off the ribs is where its at?  that is more in the standard "box".  any insight on that?

and the ear to the shoulder thing is fine if  you want to skate by with a with a mediocre role.  I remember back in the day sitting through  a video (cant remember name) in which the message was to look down the shaft of your paddle at the end of  the roll. This helps complete the torso rotation all the way up through the head.

on a different subject, sometimes i see those demsh*tz guys pulling boof stokes and it looks like their grip on the paddle is fairly narrow compared to other times.  maybe they can gain more leverage on the paddle that way.  when i have tried to narrow my grip on the paddle, it seems to require more core movement to get as big of a stroke as normal, but not sure about gaining any more power or leverage.

any good videos or literature out there?
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:25pm
I'm not very good at describing technique, but I think the best thing you can do to improve your technique is to improve your core and upper body strength through both exercise at the gym and paddling itself. Good technique takes a fair bit of strength and balance which is only gained through work and repetition. Playboating in particular will enhance technique greatly. The more you do, the better for you. I would look at the Ken Whiting stuff for demonstration of proper technique in playboating and in general.

As far as grip on the paddle goes, it should be shoulder width to get the best power transfer and ability to execute technique. I cannot imagine why you would want to narrow your grip on the paddle. You loose control and dexterity of the blades when doing this, not to mention changing grip constantly before and then after boofs seems ridiculous.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm
keeping your back hand on the boat plastic is solid advice for a roll, i guess, but this is not a key component of the roll. although what it does is ensure your body remains in the center of the boat (as opposed to releasing and going to the back deck) if you wanna prevent injury on a roll, then focus driving the paddle to the surface. after that, forget about the paddle and focus on core twist/release and hip snapping. the paddle is superfluous. once you get off your paddle and roll using the part of your body that actually connected to the boat, shoulder injury becomes less of a concern.

also, keep your head down and connected to the boat is good information but does nothing to help you actually accomplish those things. drills, drills, drills. drills lock in the muscle memory. flailing on the roll without first doing drills is a recipe for developing poor technique. i know.

much more likely you will hurt your shoulder bracing as your hand gets behind your hips and/or above your chin. the best way to combat this is to drill you forward stroke, making sure you keep your arms relatively straight, stay in the box, and most importantly complete the stroke at or in front of your hips. otherwise, you paddle a forward stroke behind your hips, then your boat gets unstable requiring a brace and you're in trouble.

and remember, the best brace is a forward stroke. an active paddle improves boat control and stability, thus decreasing the potential for needing a full-on bracing stroke in the first place.

Edited by chipmaney - 26 Sep 2013 at 2:36pm
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 8:48pm
I'm with chipmaney.  It's all about the drills.  We work with folks all the time that just wanna learn how to roll, and skip bracing, edge control, paddle strokes, just so they can do the "flip over part."  and it almost always fails.  breaking the pieces of the roll down into simple bracing seems to have the most affect on my students quickly learning to roll.  We also spend a lot of time on T-rescues, and rolling using the wall, as it allows us to get people to focus on not using their arms and just hip snapping.

Last thing that I've found has really helped me perfect my roll: slow rolling.  I try to roll as slow as I can and still come up and finish all the way up.  This has helped me a ton, because I cheat and use my arms too much.  and when I do on a slow roll, I can almost never finish cleanly.  Only a strong, clean hip snap will do that.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 11:20pm
Its a cool discussion, and ironicly, a topic that rarely seems to come up on these forums. All the responses so far offer their own pieces of the puzzle. Perhaps Chipper's post providing the most detail.

Originally posted by not-very-clever

rolling technique has clearly advanced since the Eskimos era.

Yup. But I gaurrantee you that the eskimo figured out how to paddle a kayak in a straight line efficiently years, if not centuries, before he learned to roll one. I firmly believe that focusing on forward paddling will indirectly lead towards having a solid roll.

I would emphasise the forward stroke, particularly in flatwater where you don't have the distraction of reading water and reacting to it. There you can explore that box, in chunks of about 50-100 strokes at a time. The box you mentioned sits on your spray deck. The top of the box comes up to your nipples, or your chin. Experiment with this. You can define the sides of the box with your hands and/or your elbows. Shoulder width, or "slightly wider than" typifies the kayaker's stance traditionally, but you will see paddlers with their hands closer together, and others who spread them wider. Experiementation should naturally dial you in.

Rolling:
You have a wind-up and and unwinding of the torso very similar to the wind-up and unwinding motion used in the forward stroke, it is just alligned along a different axis. This is evident in the set up, where the paddler tucks pretty far over the left side of the boat. Then through the sweep to the finish position that torso twists, as Chipper mentioned. This twist keeps everything tight in that same box you should be exploring through repetitive flatwater paddling and meditation (muscle memory). Looking down that shaft is a good way to keep the head down as you focus on that active blade. After keeping the trailing hand in contact with the side of the boat, those knuckles also rotate toward your face. This sheds resistance at the end of the roll, keeping the blade from diving. Its not an accident that this text book finish position resembles a dufek, so it wouldn't hurt to practice that, too. And I don't care what anyone says: the dufek is by no means an out dated or out moded piece of technique. On the contrary. Anyone who says a dufek isn't useful simply doesn't know what they think they know, or otherwise they are splitting hairs in a way that doesn't matter.

There are so many fine points that compose an effective roll. It can be hard to isolate them, but its probably best to try to focus on only a few at a time. But you can also break it down according to where each of those fine points fall along the "timeline" of the roll. Basicly you got:
1) setup
2) sweep/hip snap
3) finish position

As far as the narrower grip requiring more torso movement, I think you are correct. Ussually guys with a narrower stance/grip also paddle with straighter arms. I like to have what I call a "Three Quarter Moon" stance on my paddle. Imagine a circle. Crop 1/4 of it off. Where that line is, that's your paddle shaft. Your arms encompass the 3/4 remaining circle between the paddle shaft and your torso. I find this leaves my arms somewhat extended yet slightly bent at the elbows. Gives me a good stance to stay in that box, yet still have a good rigid connection to that paddle. The arms just connect your torso to the paddle. The torso twist provides all the power to the blades.

That box doesn't have to be too small, either. I think that a lot of paddlers take in the protective advice of the whole "box" metaphor, and end up using their arms to propel their boat because they are afraid to extend their reach. fu*k that. You can make that box bigger and still "stay inside" it. But yes, you may find your shoulders are more vulnerable with this extension. So you need to be more flexible, stronger, and also more sensitive to the forces working on the blade(s). It becomes more important to rotate your torso with your paddling movements.

You know me: by now I'm lost in this sh*t. Hope some of it helps :)

Edited by jP - 25 Sep 2013 at 11:21pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 11:38pm
As I sit here on the second round of heat/ice on the shoulder for tonight I'll say this, when it comes to bracing stay in the freakin box.

Most of all have fun
"Full Face" Andy
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 4:58am
Great stuff. I'll be re reading this for awhile trying to grok every bit. I like the slow roll practice idea. I need to try and wean myself off the paddle.
why not!
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 6:37am
A couple of tips that work for me:

1)  Practice perfection.
2)  Use video to analyze your mechanics.

Just practicing your roll isn't good enough.  You need to practice perfect rolls because there are times when only a perfect roll will get you back upright.  I see people practicing sh*tty rolls all the time.  Why bother?  Practice perfection.

Here's where video comes in.  Buy a waterproof camera with video.  Set the camera up on the side of the pool, start the video running, and then do one or two rolls.  STOP!!!  Go back to your camera, stop the video, and review your mechanics right then and there on the tiny LCD screen.  Slow it down, frame by frame, to make sure that you're looking down the paddle shaft and rotating your torso even as your torso is emerging from the water.  (Lots of people "cheat" by rotating after they are out of the water.  You'll get a stronger roll if torso rotation occurs throughout the roll.)  Video will allow you to check ALL of your mechanics, the roll of your wrist, the placement and height of your elbow, etc., etc.  Be brutal in your self assessment.  Your goal is perfection, not some lame ass roll that barely got you up.

Many, many times on this forum, people will mention different rolling videos that work for them.  Out of curiosity, I bought them all and tried to use them, but there's only one that I keep going back to, The Kayak Roll, by Kent Ford and Mary DeRiemer.  It really breaks things down in a way that allows you to analyze your mechanics in fine detail.

Rolling a kayak is a lot like throwing a baseball.  The tiniest little change in your mechanics, (for example, the angle of your wrist) can have a drastic effect on the outcome of the throw.  This is why professional pitchers work on their mechanics ALL THE TIME.  They never stop practicing during their entire career.  The same should be true for a kayak roll.  So long as you're boating, you should be practicing your roll and your goal is always perfection.

Don't waste water!
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 6:50am
i just can't let this ignorant (literally) talk about Eskimos pass. In no world could whitewater kayaking rolls be considered more advanced than Eskimo/Greenland style.

If you go to the greenland sea kayak races held each year, where some of the world's best boater's show up, you will see it includes a rolling competition. The competition involves demonstration of something like 35 unique roll techniques. These rolls include stuff like 'the seal landed on my boat and broke my paddle and I need to roll with one blade' kind of sh*t. As far as I can tell, we use 3 rolls: sweep, c to c, back deck. The fact that we absconded the most basic roll from the Eskimos in no way diminishes Eskimos' vast array of knowledge about kayaks and rolling.

http://www.qajaqusa.org/Technique/Rescues.html

Back in the day, these dudes lived in the sea. They got their life from the sea. They hunted from kayaks. Every day. In that environment, failure to roll meant death. They have more types of rolls than you could even dream of.

And by the way, there is a Greenland-style competition every year in Seattle. It's usually in late October/early November. Go. Acquire knowledge. Oh wait, no, go kayaking instead.

Don't be dissing Eskimos.

Edited by chipmaney - 26 Sep 2013 at 2:34pm
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:04am
Holy hell - that Greenland stuff is awesome!  Scope out Chip's link for the videos.  I may have to dose up on Dramamine and hit a long pool session this winter and try a few of these different rolls. 
Here is a cool one - the "Straightjacket Roll":

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:14am
Armpit or Shotgun Roll:

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:24am
I love this clip for several reasons:

1.) It shows JP going into beater mode, which doesn't happen often.
2.) It shows great form every time he sets up to roll.
3.) The very last roll attempt, is successful, even though JP is exhausted. Watch his form as he rolls up. Almost perfect. There is no way I could stay that calm and composed while under water for that long.

JP might hate this clip, but I love it, simply because it's a battle and he wins.

Edited by tiziak - 26 Sep 2013 at 8:29am
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:35am
Greenland rolling is awesome.  I think there are something like 35 different rolls that are used in competition and it can take years to learn them all, if ever.  They also have these "rope tricks" that they use on dry land to build strength, coordination, and flexibility needed for their rolls.  Kind of like a combination of slack-lining and gymnastics.  The culture developed around kayaking over thousands of years.  WW boating isn't just in its infancy compared to Greenland kayaking, we're just a zygote in the womb.

Having said all that, I'm also going to say that many common Greenland rolling and bracing techniques are not suitable for WW, and can really f you up.  Why?  Because Greenland rolls often end in a layback position and a stern-weighted WW boat in swirly water is going to catch an edge and go right back over.  Also, Greenland bracing technique  frequently involves hanging out on the side of your boat, half-submerged.  It's a great technique for deep water and even in breaking waves, but if you do that sh*t on a fast, rocky river you are just asking to get your teeth knocked in or your shoulder dislocated.  If you're upside down in a river, you need to remain tucked until you roll.  No hanging out with your face exposed!  I have been in online arguments before with Greenland guys who like to do these techniques in WW.  Again, it's fine in deep water (like the Grand Canyon) but not in shallow, rocky fast moving WW.

Personally, I don't mess around with Greenland technique because I don't want it screwing up my WW roll.
Don't waste water!
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 2:31pm
nobody suggested using greenland-style kayaking technique in whitewater. Instead, the technique involved should not be dismissed as undeveloped.

also i forgot the fourth whitewater roll: hand

Edited by chipmaney - 26 Sep 2013 at 2:32pm
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 3:51pm
Chipper, please don't get riled up.  I realize that you only brought up Greenland Rolling to show how advanced it is.  However, it's very easy for someone to watch those videos and think, "Damn, that's so cool!  I'm gonna try that sh*t on a river in my whitewater boat!"  And people do it, for sure.  And since this is a thread that will get read by beginners, I wanted to explain why certain Greenland techniques do not lend themselves to WW boating.  That's all.

One other thing:  If anyone does want to learn Greenland Rolling, it's best to get a Greenland kayak or even a kayak specifically designed for Greenland rolling competitions.  These boats are super low volume, and their decks are so low they are almost half submerged right from the start.  And the paddler is shoe-horned into them and their legs are out straight in front of them.  All this is done to get the paddler's center of gravity as low as possible and create the least resistance possible for a roll.

Contrast that to a WW boat which will have a higher deck and will have the paddler's knees up for support, not to mention a wide, flat hull.  And then there's the difference between a Greenland paddle (basically a skinny stick) and a Euro style WW paddle with big spoons.  If you use Greenland technique with a big Euro spoon you're probably going to be putting way to much force on your shoulder. 

Anyhow, I'm sure everyone gets the point by now:  Greenland rolling techniques are great with Greenland kayaks and paddles on the ocean.  They don't work so well with WW boats and Euro paddles on the river.  Sorry to belabor the point. 
Don't waste water!
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 4:52pm
I think these videos are great and show a very important theme in the relationship between the head and the hips. I agree in the theory that this form hasn't changed in hundreds of years. It's mechanics. The roll in the most simplistic way just getting your body to the surface of the water to gain leverage to snap your hips. Good Kayakers running hard whitewater pull off greenland style rolls all the time being adaptive and having more than just one way to get up in clutch situations while your getting trashed you might pull off 5 types in one hole? native hunters did the same. Weather its your hands or a greenland stick or a 2x4 or a werner paddle they all are guides for your body to get in a position to gain leverage for a hip snap. the roll is getting the boat back under you instead of getting you back up, the brace is getting the boat back under you instead of getting you back up. The more in harmony the head and the hips are the less you flip, the better your edge control and the less you focus on getting back up with your paddle the better your roll the easier the brace and you have less overall injury throughout your boating career no mater which 100 rolls or braces you choose to do.

Regarding shoulder injuries I try to keep my elbow forward and my hands in front and below my head. If you think about reducing a dislocation one very effective way is external up ward rotation. this is why having your shoulder out 180 degrees its called the prone position. you don't have to have your elbow on your ribs but if your hand goes high keep your elbow forward as much as you can.

I like my straight shaft because I can choke in a little to bring my hands in to keep the box tight but spread a little if I need the power but thats just personal weirdness....

stay after it pete !!

Edited by FLUID - 27 Sep 2013 at 5:15pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by doggievacation

people will mention different rolling videos that work for them.  Out of curiosity, I bought them all and tried to use them, but there's only one that I keep going back to, The Kayak Roll, by Kent Ford and Mary DeRiemer.  It really breaks things down in a way that allows you to analyze your mechanics in fine detail.Rolling a kayak is a lot like throwing a baseball.  The tiniest little change in your mechanics, (for example, the angle of your wrist) can have a drastic effect on the outcome of the throw.  This is why professional pitchers work on their mechanics ALL THE TIME. 

Word Up, Dogie!!
I agree- best video on rolling I've seen yet, even if some of the production values seem cheesy. They break IT ALL down. And that video has helped me better understand those mechanics so I can convey it to others.

Mechanics are key. Different paddlers will always have different styles to a point, but we can't reinvent the wheel, so better to study the proper forms that are tried and true (wish more paddlers would look at the Forward Stroke the same way- lot of slop out there).

@ Chipper: dude, I think you're over reacting. No one is "dissing eskimos". NVC made a harmless comment. None the less, your points are spot on contributions to this discussion- glad you brought them forth.

@ Danimal: haha- I don't hate that clip, I love it! I ussually roll up on the first attempt, but it wasn't hapenin that day! (see link in Tiziak's post). Fortunately I had time on my side and I knew it. The strainer that had been downstream was gone, and I knew I wasn't gonna hit my head (that's the beauty of high water- not likely to hit your head!) So what's the rush? I gotta say tho that when I finally go upright I was exhausted from so much time underwater. Almost got gobbled up by a medium-gnarly pourover!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 8:34pm
Yeah, speakin of Greenland Style: I sometimes imagine going on a pilgrimage somewhere far from Washington where I could start from scratch and focus exclusively on traditional (greenland style) paddling for awhile. Those guys still make much of their own gear, the way whitewater boaters used to.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:39pm
I don't claim to be any good at kayaking but I really like this guy's videos on technique:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simonwestgarth/videos
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 7:30am
Fluid:  I really like the way you describe rolling as "getting the boat back under you."  It creates a much different image in my mind than "getting back up."  When I think about getting the boat back under me, the first thing that comes to mind is what a hand roll feels like, when you snap your hips and curl your body to get your boat underneath you.  When I think about "getting back up" the first thing I think about is getting air, which means bringing my head up and killing the roll.  This is more than just semantics, it really matters what image comes to mind when you're trying to describe a roll to someone who is learning.  I will use this phrase in the future for sure.

I totally agree that a good paddler will use many techniques common to Greenland rolls to find leverage in turbulent water and get the boat back underneath them.  These hunters had rolls for just about any possible scenario:  rolling with a harpoon or gun in your hand, rolling with a broken arm, rolling from every start position possible and ending in every finish position possible, and using whatever combination of moves is necessary to gain leverage.  When I said that I don't practice Greenland technique, I was specifically referring to rolls that end in a lay back position, since I have found that stern-weighted WW boats are very unstable.  Sure, you can still scull forward for support/stability, but I'd rather come up in a stable finish position if possible.

Here's a fun video of a sea kayaker using a modern sea kayak and a Greenland paddle in some pretty rough conditions.  I think it's been posted here before, but it's still fun to watch:

Don't waste water!
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 7:33am
Note:  the video could be edited more tightly.  Skip to 6:42 to see a fun sequence at the end.

Edited by doggievacation - 28 Sep 2013 at 7:34am
Don't waste water!
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 6:51pm
Yes they were training to throw spears and get towed by big seal lions and also not swim because the water was sub arctic temps... all good reasons to stay in your boat. But PETE !! the thing is now we're just training to run the sh*t and lay boofs everywhere !! I agree equipment has gotten better and theory of rolling and bracing ergonomics of saftey have gotten figured out but we're still in round floaty things and we still roll the way the eskimos did when they figured out what it took to roll and get that boat back under you without injury and strain. We didnt invent it, it was there in physics we just needed to understand how it worked as eskimos but it hasnt changed hardly at all.

Now eveyone in the world is trying to teach there friend or there girlfriend how to roll useing terms like ear to the shoulder !! talk on the phone !! no no keep your head down !! stronger sweep !! no no softer sweep !! sh*t !! your blade angle is all wrong.. ingage your knee ingage your knee !!
this is all just the same way of trying to get someone to figure out the same thing eveyone is trying to learn. How to use your body to get the advantage and leverage to snap your hips. Seperating your upper and lower body but at the same time using them together in harmony. it's all in the connection between your hips and your head.

Everybody is right there are 50 awesome tricks and games for teaching the roll but the truth is dont take one for "the rule" you said the ear to shoulder doesnt work for you however it works for Sally's brain now Sall'ys banging out 100 perfect rolls in the pool because somehow that made her brain connect with the physics of getting yourr body to the suface to genereate leverage to snap the hip. There are tricks for safe handing of your paddle but we already discussed you dont need your paddle to roll. if your worried about paddles or blade shapes being hard on your shoulder chances are your probably doing wrong yourself.  We used to teach the roll with foam to get the roll down which was an old school trick before anyone would get a paddle.

Keeping things tight in the box so you say is valid I think and a good rule of thumb but most injuries from bracing and rolling are just due to what our eskimo friends taught us a long long time ago... use more body and less paddle.....oh and keep your frinking head down !!! hahaha
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 7:25pm
Has anyone mentioned back posture? I've found that my performance suffers when I slouch, not to mention I get more sore. When I sit upright with my spine straight, torso rotation is easier, more comfortable, and less aggravating. This all also lessens reliance on my arms and diverts better technique to my core automatically: easier to maintain the box.

Alas, sometimes it all goes out the window and the best you can do is keep the elbows down as much as possible and your wrists as low as possible as well, while trying to make sure the active blade isn't behind you. I think we all bend the rules a bit, yes?

Sorry, this thread got more on about just rolling, but of course rolling is only part of the big picture. There are lots of maneuvers where we can tweak our shoulders, elbows, wrists, and back with poor technique.

Another personal tidbit is paddle feather. This affects my inactive wrist, as that wrist has to twist in accordance with the feather to maintain the feel my active blade requires at the moment. For me, a zero degree did work to homogenize my body movements and reduce strain on my wrists. Much less an issue than shoulders, for sure, but none of boating is really about just one part of the entire picture.

Edited by Mr.Grinch - 28 Sep 2013 at 7:31pm
nnln.
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 5:55am
Damn, Grinch, you hit on another one of my favorite topics:  posture and boating.  And, yes, it does relate to rolling.

I have poor posture (especially when I'm surfing the internet) and I am constantly trying to remind myself to straighten up... in the boat, in the car, walking down the street, etc... it's a constant battle.  I'm very aware of my posture, and I'm always checking everyone else out to see how good their posture is.  Very few people have great posture, a lot of okay posture, and a large minority have poor posture.  I hate to see a kid with poor posture, because chances are good it won't get corrected when they're young, so they'll have poor posture for life.

I know from experience that slouching in your boat does serious damage to your boating skills.  You're unstable and catch edges a lot, your forward stroke is less powerful, your braces aren't as effective, and your rolls don't have full torso rotation, etc.  Good posture is an absolute requirement for good boating. 

Like all beginners, I was told to sit up straight in my boat, and I soon figured out that if I let myself slouch, I got flipped way more often than when I was sitting up straight.  But I didn't know why.  A decade goes by.  This past summer, I was floating down the Sauk, thinking about posture, as usual, and trying to figure it all out.  And I finally did!  What happens when you slouch in a kayak is that your knees drop out of firm contact with the boat.  Poor knee contact with the boat means that you don't sense what your boat edges are doing, and it also means that you have drastically reduced your ability to correct your edging before it's too late.  I'm sure lots of people knew that already, but it was kind of an epiphany for me.

If you have habitually poor posture, about the only way I know to fix it is yoga, but it takes years of work because you are literally unbending your body and building up the core muscles necessary to hold yourself upright ALL DAY LONG, no matter what you're doing.  Yoga chicks have some of the best posture around! 
Don't waste water!
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:19am
I'm sorry guy's no disrespect im just an instructor geek and bored at work..

For #1. when we discuss kayaking all of us have a different language, like discribing the roll 500 different ways to accomplish a common goal.  For example when doggievacation talks about stern-weighted kayaks and rolling on the back deck ? what the heck is a stern- weighted kayak ? Im assuming he's talking about play boats having low volume in the stern so when you roll up on your back deck they sink down ?? possibly.. but again I dont know doggies lingo ? the only stern weighted kayak i know about is mine when I'm loaded for a sweet multi day adventure in my creek boat. non the less I can see where if your used to paddling a boat that grabs in the stern and flipping every time you roll up kind of on your back deck you either a. havent addapted 2. dont like these stern weighted kayaks or 3. think ending on your stern is a bad thing in the roll and not safe.  ?? you be the judge... Personally I use the back deck roll all the time and have zero injuries to report running class whatever it doesnt matter...

#2 I slouch too !! after years of paddling my back hurts and I just slouch. but slouching foward shouldnt be mistaken for slouching in your seat which is bad. the bad slouch is slumping down in your seat and being non engaged.... propper posture is where your butt is back in your seat your hips are engaged with your lumbar pushing forward and your sitting on the front of your butt or the back of your thighs. this allows you to engage your seat bone and hips while having a little natural slouch in your upper body.. but still have great control over your boat. 

#3 the blade angle is a seperate problem from the roll itself and should be addressed seperately. im not saying its not important, but if you have a good hip snap and understanding of the hip and head relationship its rarely the problem.  if your having problems with the roll and your blade and paddle go back to the hip snap or revisit the roll with the paddle. in my humble opinion theres teaching the roll , then theres teaching the roll with the paddle which are two different classes. most of the time the blade angle doesnt stunt the person with a bomber hip snap and hand roll but  someone with perfect blade angle and sweep have a hard time with a shotty hip snap trying to roll..again the eskimos... the roll is not done with the paddle the paddle is just a guide to sweep your boddy throught the water so you can ...... gain leverage and snap your hips. you should feel little to no resistance on your blade or tweaking in your wrist from blade feather because your most likely using a right hand control paddle and its all the same anyway no matter what the feather, 0, 15,30,45.  unless your rolling on the left with a right control paddle and your right handed.  

Edited by FLUID - 29 Sep 2013 at 8:24am
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version