Professor Paddle: Best burbs or neighborhoods of Seattle for boating vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Best burbs or neighborhoods of Seattle for boating Post Reply Post New Topic
Hydrobait
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hydrobait Replybullet Topic: Best burbs or neighborhoods of Seattle for boating
    Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:55pm
So here's the story. Wife and I are selling our place in Montana to move to the PNW. We were originally looking at the Columbia Gorge which we both know we like. I stumbled across a job interview in southish Seattle that would be very good money if I got it. Neither of us has spent much time in Seattle but know it has better access to good skiing than Hood and still has world class white water. What towns or burbs would be a little less urban, not a crazy commute, and have after work options for paddling. Wife is class III boater and I'm a IV boater that will step up to V's when they look good to me. We also have a baby on the way so schools would be more important than hipster mustache clubs.
Thanks in advance, Charlie
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:25pm
From what I hear, you ain't nobody unless you live on that little island off the coast of Bellevue.  They even have their own single-occupancy vehicle rights to a separate HOV stretch of the I-90 floating bridge & freeway. 
In all seriousness, "southish Seattle" could encompass quite a bit of real estate.  Can you narrow it down a bit, or are you held to secrecy by WITSEC?  FWIW, I'm in West Seattle and love it.  Of course, I manage to avoid the West Seattle bridge on my weekday commute.     
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:48pm
There are totally a ton of hipster mustache clubs in west seattle too! Sounds like a win!

I have always lived down in the Maple Valley / Renton / Kent area. Nice schools, not so nice club and hangout scene but the access is great, traffic, well good luck anywhere on that.
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 2:48pm
Oh, for God's sake MOVE TO THE GORGE and forget Seattle. No Fi'ing brainer bro.
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:27pm
I wouldn't say there are any "boater neighborhoods" but it seems the best place to be is close to I-5 so you don't have to slog through some of the Seattle Neighborhoods just to get to the freeway, also close to the I-90 interchange give you good access to go east. The MM would be in good striking distance for after work action.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:52pm
Lots of possibilities for you - just one of many that comes to mind is Issaquah.  Lower home prices and bigger lots, but pretty close to Snoqualmie Pass and decent access to some local rivers - but still within a semi-reasonable commute to South Seattle - especially if you are an early bird.  If you aren't now, you will be once the baby shows up.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Hydrobait
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Hydrobait Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by erikSANDSTROM

Oh, for God's sake MOVE TO THE GORGE and forget Seattle. No Fi'ing brainer bro.

Why do you say? For me the gorge would be sweet. Job would be in Portland so I would try to live around Corbett. Thing is the job in Seattle ( Kennewick actually) pays almost double. I will be out to interview this winter so will get a better feel for the area but wanted some input. From what I gather traffic in Seattle is WAAAY worse than Portland ?
Hydrobait
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Hydrobait Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Scott_H

Lots of possibilities for you - just one of many that comes to mind is Issaquah.  Lower home prices and bigger lots, but pretty close to Snoqualmie Pass and decent access to some local rivers - but still within a semi-reasonable commute to South Seattle - especially if you are an early bird.  If you aren't now, you will be once the baby shows up.
yes, I am an early bird, and lower home prices are good! I am a climbing tree surgeon by trade.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 4:38pm
I suppose you could consider Kennewick as "southish" Seattle...     
Hydrobait
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Hydrobait Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by jalmquist

I suppose you could consider Kennewick as "southish" Seattle...      

Oops, got that wrong, thats a mailing address, equipment yard is in Kent. Like I said I know very little about the towns around there. Been out on the sound once, driven through Seattle once, thats about it. The money sounds good and I know the boating is good.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 5:20pm
I'd probably retract my advice on Issaquah - Kent may look close to South Seattle, but the traffic won't make it feel so close.  But the good news is you probably have good stuff nearby that area and you are right by the Green River which is a great run - but depending on the time of day, you are quick pop up Hwy 18 to the Snoqualmie drainage and Snoqualmie Pass. 
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
meryl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote meryl Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 9:42pm
If I worked in Kent I would probably live in Kent, but I don't know anything about the schools down there. Drive from wherever you are considering living to work and back at the times you would normally have to before you buy or sign a long lease.

If you haven't yet, you might want to check the difference in cost of living here and there to make sure your possible gorge job isn't a reasonably good deal.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 10:34am
I ain't gonna get into a Seattle Zone vs. Gorge Paradise debate. Let's assume for the sake of discussion you've chosen Seattle, as the thread title indicates...

Kent. If that's where you're gonna work, you should plunk down your settlement (ever play Catan?) near Kent, Renton, or maybe Auburn. Maple Valley, ect. You want to be near Rt. 18 because it shoots you up to the I-90 corridor, vital for your class III staple, "The Middle Middle", vital for FITWah (don't ask- but if you run IV, and wear a size V bootie now n then, you'll want this gem on snoqualmie Pass- it's the miniature golf of steep creekin). 18 to I-90 carries you expediantly toward your weekend Wenatchee adventures, and YOU WILL be hitting the Cooper on the way there or back.

18 also zips you out to I-5 when you are headed south to the White Salmon. Peeps can trash Seattle all they want in favor of the Gorge, but 4 hrs is NOT too far to drive to the incredible WHITE SALMON Zone. And, being south of Seattle positions you better for the Olympic Penninsula Goods, the Mysterious Dark Continent attached to Washington, hosting a treassure trove of exploratory possibilities...
Almost forgot to mention the Green. It will be your backyard run if you move near Kent/Renton. Great class III & IV- at "normal" (oppressively low, but people love it) flows, AWESOME CLASS IV once the rain gods threaten to destroy Howie Hanson's ghost. Dude, 2500+ cfs is about as classic whitewater as a family man needs, keep adding water until you get uncomfortable then you can define your range. The Green is exquisite.

On the south end, you're in better striking distance for the Tilton, an under-utilized Washington classic III (with a couple of brief IV-ish moments).

The downside is being further from the Skykomish, but you will easily make the occassional stretch up yonder for this staple of all staples.

I think the Kent/Renton area would serve you well.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 10:49am
Yeah, Issaquah wouldn't be Kent Commute Friendly. Otherwise its a good hood for boat'n good.

Kirkland, (yonder north up I-405) has proven to be a favorite among discriminating paddlers who wish to have an easy launch pad to the bountiful Skykomish Drainage, Tumwater, Robe, and all points north (Bellingham & B.C.). But you'd be looking at a daily slog to get to Kent and back. Plunk down close to work. Minimize traffic. Its all clogged up. Fubar, as the marines say.

Stay the fu*k away from West Seatle, Ballard, or any other remote chunk of Seattle surrounded by water, unless your kayak is 17' long and you have a taste for salt. The less bridges that cross large bodies of water, the better. Otherwise you'll be full of road rage before you even see signs for I-5 or I-90 on those hectic "Get-The-fu*k-Out -Of-Town" Fridays...

Don't EVEN get me started on Hipster Mustache Bars... just kiddin- I got nothin against those kids- better to corral them all there then having them clog up the lines on the river. Let 'em keep thinking they are hip, and DON'T turn them onto paddling. Hush hush.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 11:40am
-Agree with Scott regarding the Seattle-to-Kent commute. Shortish distance, longish time.

-Second vote for a close look at Maple Valley. Good access to the Green, ditto for access to the Snoqualmie Drainage, skiing at Snoqualmie Pass in the Winter, etc.

-I don't have any direct experience with the schools, but based on the overall character of the places, they're probably roughly similar (better than average, but probably not outstanding), with a slight edge for MV.

"Stay the fu*k away from West Seatle, Ballard, or any other remote chunk of Seattle surrounded by water, unless your kayak is 17' long and you have a taste for salt. The less bridges that cross large bodies of water, the better. Otherwise you'll be full of road rage before you even see signs for I-5 or I-90 on those hectic "Get-The-fu*k-Out -Of-Town" Fridays.."

Heed this advice. Probably worth incorporating into your outlook wherever you go. Even in further-out neighborhoods, congestion on highway-access routes can add just enough of a delay/hassle to make you think twice before heading out...

Edited by JayB - 20 Sep 2013 at 11:40am
-Jay
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 12:50pm
"Stay the fu*k away from West Seatle..."
Sounds like I'm still the lone voice for West Seattle.  Maybe missery is looking for company...   

I will admit that's worthy advice if your boating commute is during weekday rush hour.  But I'll bet anyone a beer that on a Saturday / Sunday AM I can drop off the WS hill, over the bridge, and be in North Bend within 5 minutes of someone crawling their way out of east bum-f suburbia of the Kent / Renton east hill area.  Of course, that bet doesn't apply to the Green - you've got a half hour on me there.  And if it's midweek after-work boating, it sounds like that commute will be from Kent anyway.   
Being the SA that I am, I will mention that when I park my car (and butt) at home after work and decide I want to walk to someplace for dinner / drink / shop, I have more options within a mile or two than Burger King and the gas station Kwik E Mart. 
Hydrobait
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Hydrobait Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by jP

I ain't gonna get into a Seattle Zone vs. Gorge Paradise debate.

No, by all means I would love to hear some of this from you guys! Great info so far, thanks.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Hydrobait

Originally posted by jP

I ain't gonna get into a Seattle Zone vs. Gorge Paradise debate.

No, by all means I would love to hear some of this from you guys! Great info so far, thanks.

The gorge is an earthly paradise for every type of recreation, has great restaurants, food, killer...traffic free...access to Mt. Hood, and then there's the kayaking. Since most people that boat don't fish - it's hardly worth mentioning, but just in case you're an exception the salmon and steelhead fishing is very, very good in those parts. Not sure if it matters to you, but the weather also seems warmer/nicer there most of the time.

IMO it'd behoove you to bust out a spreadsheet and compute your total cost of living as accurately as possible in each place - everything from property taxes, income vs sales tax, commuting, etc, etc, etc, etc costs will be - and see what your actual standard of living will be in Seattle vs the gorge. If it's even close, then it's not even close - move to White Salmon.
-Jay
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 9:39am
Seattle neighborhoods provide for better thrift store selection = cost savings!
ChrisW
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ChrisW Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 9:12pm
The Whitewater info. that has been discussed is all good. You mentioned skiing, if you can avoid the weekends Crystal Mt. is the best, which is SSE of Kent about an hour and 15 minutes away. The next best areas to ski are up north Steven Pass and Mt. Baker, along with the Skykomish and Wenatchee drainages, which have great kayaking, but the commute would be bad. Kent offers the Green River Gorge, Snoqualmie drainage along with the Snoqualmie ski areas, right in your back yard, close and quick to get to.
Ski to Sea; Rivers Rock!     Old-Man's Stopped Rolling, now just rides on his Red Rubber Ducky!
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 9:48pm
Move to the Gorge. This really is a no brainer.

There is no place you can live in or around Seattle that is even 10% as good as having the White Salmon, Wind, Klickitat, Little White, Hood and Deschutes less than 30 minutes away from your front door for paddling. Add the hundreds of miles of A+ mountain biking, ski resorts less than one hour away, and every outdoor sport under the sun and this really is a very simple decision.

Oh, and there is NO traffic. And no lines. And no noise (except for the trains). And its close to a major international airport. And if you live in White Salmon you can be income tax free. And shop in OR where there is no sales tax.

I recently relocated after 8 years in the Gorge back to Seattle for a partner who is going to school at UW. We miss the Gorge daily, and plan our long weekends back with that as our destination. Sure, there's lots to do up here, but who really wants their life rules by traffic, the schedule of the flow of a million other people and everything else that comes to city life. Maybe you'd make more money here, but quality of life is priceless, and if you have your priorities straight, it would be in your best interest to move to the Gorge if you can take your pick.

Just my $.02.
JHB
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:34pm
It depends on what you want, but if the job you are going to take is in Kent, then I would live in or near Kent. Commuting there from Seattle would not be fun. It would be manageable from someplace like Columbia City, but still would not be ideal.

In terms of Gorge vs. Seattle area, it depends on what your interest levels are. The gorge has a lot of recreation with easy access, but so does Seattle. From Kent you could be at the Green Gorge in 30, The pass area in 30 to 45, and you have crystal at about an hour and a half-ish, which is one of the best ski areas in the northwest (and puts Mt. Hood to shame in my opinion). You also have more access to diversity of whitewater than you would in the gorge region. Sure the white salmons and all that are there, but in the Seattle area you have proximity to BC and the runs on the east side of the mountains in the Leavenworth area and the east side of snoqualmie. In kent you would also be much closer to the Rainier area runs like the Ohane, Cispus, and Tilton.

There is also a lot more proximity to culture than you might find in the gorge, but I am sure someone will argue you are close to portland (which I think is second to Seattle in terms of what you can do and experience culturally).

Just my opinion, I am sure some people will hate it.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:40pm
no leif, i think your opinion is right on.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 7:45pm
Who you calling Leif? My name is Jonathan.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version