Professor Paddle: PH Access opens Saturday at 3PM vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: PH Access opens Saturday at 3PM Post Reply Post New Topic
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Topic: PH Access opens Saturday at 3PM
    Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:28am
Snoqualmie River Powerhouse Access OPEN on Saturday 14 SEPTEMBER at 3:00PM. Happy Powerhouse paddling!

PSE says:
The Lower Park/River access will open to the public at 3p on Saturday. It will close at dusk on Saturday and then open and close dawn to dusk from there on out. Enjoy the River!

Edited by ReneeCP - 13 Sep 2013 at 10:29am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:11pm
Nice!  Hope we get a few more sunny days in the coming weeks - I'll have to check it out. 
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rockarolla
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo
Trying to not fear the REAPER

Quote rockarolla Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:28am
Hey super thanks for getting the info out Renee !

Its been a long wait for the reopening.

Dave
Dave Moroles.   253 241 8550.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:07pm
So does this include the easy walk up? I've been attaining most of it with two short carries and one long haul around the rapid upstream of the Powerhouse up to the Falls plunge basin. Doesn't seem to matter about granted access or not by my route, but for those wishing to just go downstream (beginners, or those who's boats/will does not allow the same path) do we know if 'yakers will be given the same pass I've read of in the run description? Too early to know?

Didn't realize what a great workout this spot was until about a month ago, just never was told or realized how much of an easily accessible moving water scenario was there. Excellent place to keep the core tight and focus on boat control in low consequence. Not hard headed downstream, but attaining at this spot is where it's at!
nnln.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:23pm
Oh, and I'd say Turkey Shoot is an easier feature than the wave on PH. Sure, TS is more retentive, but the PH wave is actually trickier to access and to surf. While it doesn't hold spins, it also doesn't forgive sloppy weighting, inatentive edging, or ruddering. There's also a long wave train after it for ample time to setup and do some wave wheels.

The rapid above the Powerhouse does offer cl III+ lines, maybe even IV if we look for it with more water.

I know it doesn't qualify as "stepping up," but I think anyone who isn't a solid class IV boater or more can still learn something doing the attainments (boat control, reading water, and thinking ahead to link up attainments).

If I had know two years ago when I moved here......

Better than a pool, and the falls are killer too!

Edited by Mr.Grinch - 15 Sep 2013 at 5:36pm
nnln.
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:10pm
Seattle's best kept secret is out! Thanks for the write up, Mr. Grinch. In response to your question, I have not been to the restored access. Before the reconstruction, we could crawl over the end of the boardwalk and carry to the falls. I am told by PSE that this is no longer the case and the falls pool is accessible by the private river left trail or the carry you describe.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by ReneeCP

I am told by PSE that this is no longer the case and the falls pool is accessible by the private river left trail or the carry you describe.

All upriver walking I did was on River Left. Once at the surf wave (first little cascade upstream of the parking lot), then an attainment, then another carry (working on a possible solution for attaining, though), then another attainment, with a little in-the-boat-pull-up-past-shallow-spot, then attain up to the base of the rapid above the PH. that's where the long walk begins, still on River Left. Not bad considering you get the plunge basin and all the beauty it allows, plus a full swing at the most challenge offered in the reach. Super fun slot move once the FU rocks are covered (above 850 or so), and some fun lines I've found below that as well. Not that hard for anyone with experience, but tight and technical when low. Definately best to have a shorter boat as some of the FU rocks aren't friendly to longer waterlines.

Sorry if I'm popping a bubble, though I doubt it. Usually I've been alone when there, even on weekends. All I have to say is it's better than a pool and there's a lot of workout potential for no shuttle.

Better than working, or being dry!
nnln.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 1:54pm
[:Y:] this is great news! The Seattle area needs this stretch. Other than the Yo-Yo stretch on the Green, this is probably THE BEST place to take someone being introduced to whitewater boating.

Grinch-- great to hear you are getting some attainment on. If you experiment with attaining in a longer boat much (too bad the market doesn't offer very many options), you'll find it superior to the short designs for the following reasons:

-More hull speed. A faster boat takes fewer strokes per average attainment move. This hull speed will often project you out and beyond those "F.U." rocks. You'll be the one saying "fu*k You", rather than the rocks. This mostly leaves you free to contemplate your stroke placement (paddles can take a beating during attainments, but stroke placement and timing are one of the gains to be maintained by the A-ttain. KnowhatI'msayin? [;)]

-Longer boats, particularly those with a little less rocker, "bridge" those two foot drops better. By the time your center of gravity is crossing the fulcrum point of the drop, your bow has gained purchase on the currents you need to suck you upstream.

Around here (in Washington, very generally speaking) there is a sweet spot with flows where it is low enough to have enough eddies to get a conveyer belt or escalater effect. Then once stuff gets ridiculously low, many otherwise good attainment lines get clogged with shallow rocks, and some drops get too steep to climb up. I've found that once its too shallow or rocky to get a good catch with your stroke, it can be really hard to execute an attainment.

You never know throughout the course of your riverrunning adventures when an attainment may come in handy, or even be necessary. Rescues, paddling upstream a few small drops to have a better place to get out to portage something, or just to run a different line multiple times...
Attaining is a great way to become a more precise and accurate paddler, and yes, the Powerhouse Stretch is a great place for those exercises. Glad it'll be open for biz again!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 1:57pm
(No, Grinch, you don't gotta keep this a secret- but you can tell everyone you know about it and still go out there to find you have it all to yourself, much of the time) enjoy
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ReneeCP
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote ReneeCP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 8:20pm

Spread the word   

Edited by ReneeCP - 17 Sep 2013 at 8:56pm
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 6:10pm
jP, I totally agree about paddle abuse! Certainly at the low summer flows. Long boat speed as well. The down side comes in heading back down river. At low flows, a big boat just makes it not only so easy but also closes all play potential. I know the play isn't that good, but a pool has less, so......it's just all about what one is looking for. Personally, I was trying to showboat a little on Saturday and a playboat made it all more impressive to the people onshore (did some squirts, mini surfs, maybe a splat/spin, and of course some cartwheels).

I think with more water (I've yet to see it over a grand) a long boat would be manditory for attaining, but at summer flows I found a shorter boat to allow me to squeeze through tight spots on my way up where a longer boat would have my stern hung up longer than I would want while making some of the moves.

I LOVE tha conveyor feeling, once it starts pulling and you start looking for the next move, and linking that up. Then the next, if there are more. Jet ferrying on waves, stalling on pillows, and milking boils to make it upstream, lotsa fun!

Oh, and your mention of paddle placement around rocks is, of course, spot on as well. Sometimes, yer just gonna scrape, but other times, ya gotta play the weight game and stoke where you can, even if it isn't "textbook." I still found myself cussing up a storm at times thinking about plastic and fiberglass lost while trying to fight upwards. Even when doing the best possible not to lose any of either. Whatever, still fun, and nothing lasts forever.

Perhaps, at low summer flows, a long boat might make some attainments easier (if sacrificing play headed downstream) by making better use of deeper channels that ahull speed deprived shorty just can't make. Or, perhaps, a shorter boat allows one to make use of awkward tight spots on the way up that a big boat would be too cumbersome trying to follow? I bet that with more water, a little boat won't cut it against the flow. Don't know where that cut-off is, and by the time there's enough water to find out, we'll all be elsewhere :)

BTW&FTW, tomorrow sundown session? Before it starts getting cold and before better runs come back to life......

Cheers!

Edited by Mr.Grinch - 18 Sep 2013 at 6:17pm
nnln.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 10:05pm
JP, you missed the single most important reason to have good attainment skills... SURFING!!!

Is 13 feet long enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0_oDcs4NA&feature=share&list=UUcdOHhbpaqonQiKCLyAmqfg
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version