Professor Paddle: Sky dam - please help by commenting to NPCC vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Sky dam - please help by commenting to NPCC Post Reply Post New Topic
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote irenen Replybullet Topic: Sky dam - please help by commenting to NPCC
    Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 1:32pm
Hi again river peeps,

First of all, congrats on the response to the Index Skykomish dam meeting a while ago, word on the eddyline is that the degree of response and the very large number of people at the meeting was really unusual.

Now, if you have strong feelings about the proposed dam on the Skykomish River would you please take a minute or two to send a comment to the Northwest Power and Conservation Council (NPCC) before September 17?

The NPCC listed the Skykomish River as one of its areas that is protected from hydropower development.  This listing gets reconsidered every 5 years, and it's happening now, in 2013.

SnoPUD started appealing to NPCC last year to exempt the S. Fork of the Skykomish from protection, which would make it easier for FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) to grant a hydropower license for Sunset Falls.

Please go to this page:   www.nwcouncil.org/fw/program/2013amend/comment-form
and if that doesn't work CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK

and submit your comments.

(It is a really easy-to-use, one-page comment form.)

Tips:  NPCC looks at fish and wildlife concerns, not traffic or recreation.   Areas of concern for the NPCC include the following comment topics that have been suggested by a local group that is against the Sunset Falls dam project:
  • Washington voters in 2006 passed I-937 which excludes new hydropower on rivers as renewable energy.

• The amendment process is an excellent opportunity for the Northwest Power and Conservation Council to:
    • Formally eliminate exemptions entirely.
    • Strengthen the program by addressing critical fresh-water issues such as climate change and new Endangered Species Act listings such as Bull Trout (critical BT habitat is just above the proposed impoundment area for the weir) and Chinook salmon.  [ Bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) were once found in about 60% of the Columbia River Basin but today they occur in less than half of their historic range, with scattered populations in portions of OR, WA, NV, ID, and MT.   Found to be in peril by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, bull trout were listed as a threatened species throughout their range in 1999.  (basic info at this URL: http://www.fws.gov/pacific/bulltrout/ )    Chinook (king) salmon are also considered Threatened by the Endangered Species Act (basic info at this URL:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_salmon  )  ].

• An exemption for this proposed dam in a Protected Area would be in an acknowledged critically important and sensitive area, with high environmental impacts, minimal energy production, and negligible public benefit.

• Allowing new dams to be built in areas with Protected Status is difficult to justify and reconcile subsequent to removal of the Elwha, Glines Canyon, and Condit dams in Washington state.

• The Snohomish River basin (Skykomish+Snoqualmie) is home to 20% of all salmon in the Puget Sound.   All six species of wild salmon spawn in the Skykomish.   Creating an exemption on that part of the river system, thereby allowing hydropower projects, puts that fish population at risk.
The deadline for submitting comments is Sept 17th.   It is really important to submit comments if you care whether or not this dam gets built, and it will be more effective for couples/families to submit comments separately, not one comment per group.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you take a moment to submit a comment, a huge thank you!  Please help keep the Skykomish wild and scenic, and remember this sets a precedent for other rivers that we care about as well.

SYOTR

Edited by irened - 09 Sep 2013 at 1:37pm
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:26pm
Thanks for sharing Irene.  I'm doing it tonight!  Also, is there any sort of update as to how this is fairing or which way the battle is going?  Are we "winning" or should we be more nervous than when this first started coming up?

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:38am
Thanks for taking the time to do that Clay, it's much appreciated!  I am not the last word in how things are going and opinions are all over the place.  From what I hear every little bit of support counts and it would be very unwise to take for granted that this is not going to happen for some reason and therefore not get involved, and also really unwise to take for granted that the comment process is a show and it will happen regardless and therefore not get involved - which is what I think some people do.

It can very easy to be apathetic (for most people including me) because a lot of this stuff seems to grind on in the background, comment deadlines come up and get missed, and sometimes people think they need to write some researched thesis in order to comment and therefore it gets put off and not done - I have been guilty of all of that stuff in the past myself.

However, my understanding from people with more experience is that it is worth it for people to submit comments even if they are not as long and detailed as they would like them to be, and definitely worth setting 5 or 10 minutes aside to do that when you consider in comparison what it will be like to have years of blasting and heavy truck traffic around Sunset Falls and the Hwy 2 corridor, not to mention the dam itself and all of its effects on one of the most beautiful rivers in the West.

Anyway, thanks again Clay and also to everyone else who comments to NPCC.

PS.  The link to comment again is here:  CLICK HERE TO COMMENT

Edited by irened - 13 Sep 2013 at 8:40am
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 2:08pm
Thanks for keeping this on the radar, Irene! Hopefully there will be more opportunities for us to continue to express our opposition to this thing.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by jP

Thanks for keeping this on the radar, Irene! Hopefully there will be more opportunities for us to continue to express our opposition to this thing.

Hi JP, yes there will be but this is an important one and I just want to remind everyone it's the LAST DAY to comment on this one.  If you're like me and a procrastinator you can still do it today like I am.

It's a bit complicated but what I understand is that there is a connection between NPCC status and the ability for the dam to transmit over lines that would be necessary in order to sell energy credits to California, which since the dam would be producing energy during the times when we have the most energy anyway and not during low energy production times, it appears at least likely that that is one of the ultimate profit motives here.  So every bit does matter and today is the last day for this round.

Here's the link to comment:  CLICK HERE TO COMMENT
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 2:38pm
Done. :)  If you think you (you in general) are bad at this kind of stuff please know that I am probably worse, it really does help to just write something even if it's nowhere near what you thought you would like to write, I have to force myself and I usually get this stuff in right before the deadline but I know I'll feel like a real moron if I let it slide and then watch blasting and massive trucks rolling in and out of the Skykomish drainage for years before the dam even goes up and have to remember I never got around to commenting when there was an opportunity.  To be clear, I've spaced out on stuff like this plenty of times in the past, but I'm trying to not do that anymore.

Edited by irened - 17 Sep 2013 at 2:41pm
cmellon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cmellon Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 6:20pm
Thanks Irene. You're right though, the content doesn't matter just the opinion that you're against it and public comments do work. Grant county tried to railroad a fish hatchery at the head of Lake Wenatchee and despite attempts by Grant County to get the feds involved the public shut it down. A simple "I oppose the Sunset dam" is as good as a novel.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 4:59pm
Well, I ain't taking any chances, so I kinda wrote a mini novel. I kinda messed up this time, tho and just wrote stream of conscious around all the reasons I fell it was bad for the economy, istead of placing the focus on the habitat loss. So, charles' above comment is reassuring.

And I'm bumping this thread and a few others like it. Because this is such a long process and there will be a bunch of small easy to jump through hoops involved as this thing keeps reering its ugly head.

Go to that link and fill out a comment with the NCCP by Nov 20 (day after next)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version