Professor Paddle: Washington class IV-ish this weekend vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Washington class IV-ish this weekend Post Reply Post New Topic
awskitc
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote awskitc Replybullet Topic: Washington class IV-ish this weekend
    Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 12:53pm
Hello,

Myself and a friend from the northeast will be coming up to Washington (from portland) and would love to run something in the class III-IV+ range. We're looking at lower icicle, skykomish, sauk, NF Nooksack, Sultan, or any other suggestions. If you've got a trip planned or wouldnt mind showing some out of towners down some of these we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andrew (231-357-3406)
awskitc@gmail.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 6:56pm
Hey there, there are plenty of people who know some of these runs better than I do but just to get you started, I think all of Icicle is too low now but the Tumwater Canyon section of the Wenatchee is great and people run it down to around 1,000.  And the Skykomish is always gorgeous, dropping now but it gets run down to 500 (super low but if Rob McKibbin runs it at 500 I guess I will too. :)

If you post the dates you'll be up here it will be easier to coordinate stuff.

Cheers,
Irene
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 12:20pm
Yup. All natural runoff, so most of the water is gone.

Make sure you swing through the White Salmon zone from Portland. It tends to retain options later than most stuff and the main stretch that gets rafted commercially should still be good fun. Run Hussum Falls.

The Skykomish is reliably boatable almost every day out of every year, even if it is low as Irene pointed out.

Tumwater Canyon on the Wenatchee is holding great water. But even at its lowest flows it is on the stout end of "Class IV", and for the most part more widely regarded as a class V run until it gets below 1000 cfs. The last two rapids are class V at any flow.

Other than that, not really sure anything else has water in it. Absolutely hit the White Salmon tho. It is simply a treasure trove as far as a river running experience. Very, very beautiful.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
awskitc
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote awskitc Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:32am
seems like we've come up with a tentative plan. Middle white salmon friday afternoon, Sky Saturday, then we'll try for the N. Fork Nooksack on Sunday.

I've only put in on the sky at the outdoor center at index, is that still good for summer flows?

We'd love to have folks join us, especially on the NF nooksack, never been down that one before.

Andrew
231-357-3406

Edited by awskitc - 25 Jul 2013 at 9:32am
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:59am
Generally speaking the S. Fork Sky holds more water, and thus is used as a put in this time of year. Put in above Cable Drop. You take the dirt road right next to the HWY 2 bridge that crosses the Sky at the confluence. You can also put in at the confluence itself right there at the bridge but that will shorten your run. People start to do that more as the water drops below 1000cfs.

All details are on the rivers page for the sky...

Glad you are gettin your white salmon on. It is a must-paddle if visiting Washington. In fact, I'm always surprised to find out about Seattle boaters who've been living here for years and yet still have never run this incredible river

Edited by jP - 25 Jul 2013 at 10:03am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 10:36am
Just be sure to bring your wallet and anything valuable in your boat on the Sky, and don't leave any bags in plain sight in your vehicle. Read too many incidents on here. Also I didn't know this before July 4th weekend, you can put in from the outfitter's lawn in Index, you just have to sign a release form. They've really fixed up the place and have a bar where you can refresh yourself inside and some picnic tables outside. Nice folk, too.
More water, please.
horton
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote horton Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 8:38am
Definitely do the Sky. It's easily one of the most fun III-IV runs I've done west of the Mississippi. Even at last weekend's low(they were fine) flows, there were tons of super sweet slalom moves, dynamic eddys, attainments, rock spins on smooth boulders, and ferries. Plus, Boulder drop is awesome. Multiple lines with tons of edds to catch, boofs to make, and you can even practice your portaging technique will heading upstream to run laps on it. It's short, but it's seriously beautiful and fun and is at a great level for training for harder runs.
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

Originally posted by horton

Definitely do the Sky. It's easily one of the most fun III-IV runs I've done west of the Mississippi. Even at last weekend's low(they were fine) flows, there were tons of super sweet slalom moves, dynamic eddys, attainments, rock spins on smooth boulders, and ferries. Plus, Boulder drop is awesome. Multiple lines with tons of edds to catch, boofs to make, and you can even practice your portaging technique will heading upstream to run laps on it. It's short, but it's seriously beautiful and fun and is at a great level for training for harder runs.
I dunno why but I've just never been a sky fan.  It's really cool to see it through your eyes Horton.  I will have to go reacquaint myself.
I'm with Horton. I love the Sky! It's my favorite run up here Haven't seen you in ages bro. How've you been?
Life is short, paddle hard!
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:07pm
Was great running the Nooksak with you guys! It was fun watching you both totally style SAT. My other crew showed up at 4 so the timing was perfect. It was a lot less terrifying the second time down. Hope to see you on the river again!
More water, please.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

Originally posted by horton

I dunno why but I've just never been a sky fan.  It's really cool to see it through your eyes Horton.  I will have to go reacquaint myself.

It may require a hardshell to really tap into what Horton is preachin... Alls I got to say is "Amen, Brother! HalleluJAH!"
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version