Professor Paddle: Skykomish from Boulder Drop to Big Eddy (2 laps) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Skykomish from Boulder Drop to Big Eddy (2 laps) Post Reply Post New Topic
Red Baron
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Red Baron Replybullet Topic: Skykomish from Boulder Drop to Big Eddy (2 laps)
    Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 4:46pm
Anyone have time off Thursday or Friday for a couple of laps from the Boulder Drop put-in to Big Eddy?  I'm in an IK, and have run this stretch several times, but am still too chicken to run Boulder Drop, and not willing to portage it around it again as once was enough.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 6:05pm
I'm flying solo through the weekend so I will probably be down for a run Thursday and Friday afternoon.  Can't get there before 5 though.

Jimmy
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 10:07am
Red Baron, not sure where you portaged but it sounds like you did the river level on river right. If you take out on river left above the drop you can walk down the hiway and back to the river below the drop. You can also walk up to the railroad tracks on river right and not have to deal with the boulder hopping action. Both are pretty easy options and you get to run all the stuff on the south fork or northfork.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Red Baron
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Red Baron Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 2:36pm
A friend and I dropped in at Cable Drop in our IK's with some hard shell kayakers, and we portaged left and walked along the highway to the below Boulder Drop put in.  It wasn't hard, but it wasn't fun either.  It also wasn't fair to the guys running BD to have them waiting for us to slog that stretch.  The extra stretch above BD wasn't worth the slog for me.  When I'm ready to run BD I'll run it, but I won't portage it again. 
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 3:20pm
Well, sounds like you know what you want.

You could portage part or all of the drop on the right though. E.g. depending on flow you could run/sneak the intro, eddy out, portage the picket fence, then put back in for the runout.
Red Baron
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Red Baron Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 3:45pm
I'll have to have someone show me that sometime when I'm ready (too late now for me to get north today).  What is the right flow to sneak the intro though???  I've never even scouted BD, since I'm not ready for Class IV or wanting to swim it if I screw up.

If I could get away with a quick and easy portage instead of a slog carrying my IK, it would open it up for more runs with all the hard shellers who run it.  Climbing over boulders in thin neoprene booties with a clunky IK is no fun, and if there are a bunch of big rocks I'll stick to launching below that section.
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 4:09pm
What time were you thinking about tomorrow (Friday)? I might be up for a lap, but last time I did two laps on Big Eddy, the second lap was feeling kind of long and slow.
Red Baron
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Red Baron Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 5:01pm
I have the whole day free, so the earlier the better to avoid traffic out of town.  When can you meet up?  I can just do one lap since it's still dropping and won't be as much fun below Split Rock.

Agreed there are too many slow boring stretches below Split Rock, and under 3,000cfs now just makes it worse.  Since I'm not running Boulder Drop it isn't worth leaving the house to just run from BD to SR.
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 9:02am
I know it is short notice, bit I will be at Big Eddy at 11 today. White truck with a kayak rack.
Red Baron
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Red Baron Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 10:10am
Doh!  I wish I would've checked my e-mail sooner.  I can't get there that soon.  I might be able to get there by noon or a little after.  Maybe next time.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version