Professor Paddle: First time on Robe. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: First time on Robe. Post Reply Post New Topic
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote osmelendez Replybullet Topic: First time on Robe.
    Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 8:06pm
I'd like to go down Robe Canyon for the first time on July 4th. If anyone who knows the run exceptionally well would be interested in showing me down, I would appreciate it. Being the first time down and all, I'm willing to do a lot of scouting, talking through the rapids, walking around anything I'm not comfortable with, or even hike the fu*k out if I'm in over my head.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:26am
What have you been paddling prior to this, what levels? How is your Class IV+ read and run skill?
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
wday
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote wday Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:43am
good idea Oscar, i dont know the run exceptionally well but ive been in there a few times and the NOAA forecast looks good. Ill be in lake stevens thur/fri and probly headed to skyfest sat/sun. will 2o8~84|~75BB
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:57pm
Oscar,

I think if you're going in with the mentality that you might need to walk out, you might already be in over your head.

You've walked down to Sunshine, correct?

The toughest stretch of whitewater in Robe Canyon, is the stretch from T1 to the end of Hotel California. If you've seen this stretch and can picture yourself making it through there with minimal scouting, you're set man!

But, in my own opinion, if you are thinking of walking a bunch of rapids and scouting everything, give it a wait. Head up to Der Town and run icicle a ton. Take your licks before you head into an area where hiking out can be a big ordeal. We have too many roadside gem's to have an excuse for not being prepared for that personal next step.

I know Robe pretty well. I can show you down if you want. Let me know man.

Cheers and have fun in there.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 4:28pm
I actually have no intentions of walking out, and I'm trying to figure out what I mean by writing that. I guess what I mean to say is that I respect others decisions and if it came down to that, then that's something I would do, but I've never walked off any run and don't intend to walk off Robe.
As far as scouting goes, I guess I actually like taking a good look at rapids, talking about the run, and figuring out what the water is doing. It's part of the sport, but I understand how too much scouting can be bothersome.
I've got another day and a half to meditate on this, and I'll get back to y'all, either through email or phone conversation.
This is actually a great conversation to have on a thread though, because I think a lot of paddlers ponder the step up.
When I saw Robe, I believe the level was about 5.8. Now it's around 5.4. How does the level of difficulty change?
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 4:50pm
I am not at a "Robe level" so I can't speak from experience, but this reminds me that I do love the "step up" part of this sport; the butterflies as you are gearing up, trying to find that inner calm as you put on, the rush in the action, and, assuming it went ok, the take out high.  If you decide to run it - woot woot!
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:33pm
5.4 will be a lot more mellow than 5.8. Some of the lines will not be as "clean". There are a lot of f*ck you rocks that get covered up above 5.7.

I personally believe that 5.8 is easier than 5.4. I think the toughest normal flows are in the 5.5-5.7 range. I've had my worst lines and most carnage in the 5.6ish levels.

Thoughts?

Daniel Patrinellis
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:03pm
@Scott_H, yep... you know what I'm going through. I'm trying hard not to get psyched out!

5.8 looked like a sweet, gushy, big water flow, which is a little more of what I'm used to being from Idaho. I guess the closest thing to Robe that I've run is the Lower Five of the North Fork of the Payette. I didn't really have any problems on it. It's been awhile though.
The bottom line is that I think I can run Robe. I've seen it and I want a piece of it. That stretch has been calling my name for a long time now. I'm dying to put my paddling skills to the test on that run. If I could, I would just run laps on Icicle, but it's actually kinda far away from Seattle. That fact that Robe is like 45 minutes away from me blows my mind. I've got to see this stretch of river!
At the same time, I need to be wise about this. Let me continue to do some research and I'll get back to you. I know theres a lot of beta out there, so I'll be doing some reading tonight and looking at some videos (even though videos do practically zero justice to runs).
In the meantime, more beta on this thread would be appreciated.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:43pm
Maybe someone would like to share their first time experience down Robe. What was it like at what did you think? We're you anxious to get to the "putout!"
snowblind
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote snowblind Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 7:19am

Oscar...

I dunno know you, and so take all this with a grain of salt.  Da'animal gave you a real good suggestion paying your dues on roadside runs.  Its lamesauce to suggest all that driving is too much effort to make when it comes to paying dues.   Anybody whose ever had to walk out of Robe below Faceplant has a story to tell about that ordeal. 

The fact your sitting behind a computer screen hemming an hawing about this run is pretty well predictive of the outcome, at least from my vantage point.  Listen, most folks stepping up the challenge of ww have good buds that can share some insight as to their skill set and readiness.  That is somebody says, 'yeah, man your totally ready for this run.'  That usually comes from somebody who you can trust your life with on the water and with whom you've shared a bit of time paddling together developing trust in each others judgement. 

Doing online homework is one thing... but that is no substitute for actually paddling ww, and paying dues in the stages of incremental progression (which imo is the safest course of development).  There are some folks who are on the accerlerated program, and they bend the curve, but they are the exception to the general rule. 

So get out and run some laps down BD above 5k, head over to Icicle and get on the Upper, and then hit Tumwater (cherry pick what you want) and then assess your readiness, preferably thru the eyes of somebody else who has a bit of insight.  I know that this schedule doesn't fit your plan to run Robe tommorrow, but whatever, it will be there calling your name...

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:05am
Originally posted by tiziak

You've walked down to Sunshine, correct? The toughest stretch of whitewater in Robe Canyon, is the stretch from T1 to the end of Hotel California. If you've seen this stretch and can picture yourself making it through there with minimal scouting, you're set man! in my own opinion, if you are thinking of walking a bunch of rapids and scouting everything, give it a wait. Head up to Der Town and run icicle a ton.

I have to agree w/ Danimal's entire post, and esspecially the above quotes.

Lower and Upper Icicle are easier than Robe (until you add lots of agua to upper Ici). Yeah its farther away from seattle in terms of driving, but Robe is far from EVERYTHING if you are hiking out of it w/ a boat.

My advice to the dude who is in "step it up" mode is to show up early before the run and hike in to scout. Last Sunshine is the toughest move on the run, and yeah you could walk it, but I would go in there once you feel you could run it. The stuff between there and Hotel comes at you quick, and Sunshine drops you right into the thick of Robe. But after Hotel, more pools space the rapids out and the pace is not as full on. Still a ton of big rapids though.

As far as scouting, I respect the ethic of seeing what you are about to run. I tend to be a scouter. I came of age when boats were fiberglass and not scouting blind corners/drops was a sure way to fu*k yourself up. But there is a reason that it is important to be somewhat able to run w/ the varsity team when you go to run Robe:
It is a long run. There are tons of rapids. Scouting everything and walking a few other things would take forever. Even a lengthy verbal description above each rapid can really drag out the trip. I think you want to go in when you can enjoy it rather than have a harrowing white knuckle experience.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:13am
Whoa. I missed Snowblind's assesment (too much digital "multi tasking" on my device)-- but I also agree w/ his insights.

Regarding flows, I do think Danimal's opinion about 5.8' being "easier" is a bit skewed. That Da(m)n Animal is a charger. 5.4' is still the ideal first time flow, and about the flow you'll likely get if you run it tomorrow. 5.3' is fine and 5.2' ain't bad.

The nice thing is the water temp is way up and it is sunny and grand in there lately (ran it monday and last friday).

Snowblind speaks wisely tho.

Edited by jP - 03 Jul 2013 at 8:15am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by osmelendez

Maybe someone would like to share their first time experience down Robe. What was it like at what did you think? We're you anxious to get to the "putout!"

Ok my last post for a bit on this thread - I promise!
In honor of you request...

My first run down Robe was on April 19th of 2008.
Rob and Brock were my trip leaders, although D1 and Brad X also provided invaluable beta and lines to follow. I think Brad was still getting to know it. I was paddling the old Diablo, which was slicey out there, and I pitoned twice (once at Hotel Cali running a line no one seems to run any more, and once in Off Broadway), but its easy to do in that pointy, slicey boat. It was definitely a handicap paddling that thing in there the times I've done it, and I'm glad to have a boat that makes it cushy 'n gravy like the rest of you have.

The run was a blur, but according to my river log, I never got out to scout once. Just followed Rob, and he gave pretty good beta above most of the drops. By the time I found Robe though I already had a solid history of paddling class V, even if I was "off the couch" a bit in those days. I had to paddle pretty hard, taking it all on the fly. I don't remember being anxious to be at the take out, there is a long paddle out where you get to unwind.

It was 5.05' that day, but in many ways it isn't the same run. I haven't run it that low since 2008 (no one really does, generally). Had some later trips at 5.2' that seemed boney. These days 5.35' or more seems to boat pretty smooth. 5.2' being my official low water cut off, and 5.35' being my preferred low water cut off. I got about 70 trips in there total.

The last thing I'll say is I wouldn't rush to gain access before running the other local "steps" up to it a bunch (Icicle, Icicle), but once you are in there running it well you have an excellent play ground to keep your skills sharp for whatever you want to boat.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:36am
Fair enough. I'll pass on Robe. Probably go do some more scouting, cuz I really like looking at the stretch. Thanks for looking out y'all!
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:38am
I will, however, be out there with my boat. I've got my sights set in this run.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:10am
Hey man, lotsa winter runs to spiff up on before going into Robe like Top Tye and the Green above 4k. Both offer elements you want to be practiced on before heading into Robe. Green Truss at lower flows would be a good one as well as Tumwater under 2400. If you're comfortable on these runs, you'll have a good time in Robe.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:00am
fu*k it, I'm going to take everyone's advice. I'm going to Icicle tomorrow. Who's going to be out there? Help this brother get ready for Robe!
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:14pm
I guess this is as good a place as any...

What are everyone's thoughts on leading someone down their first lap blind? JP took me down Robe and the only thing I scouted was Garbage (I portaged).

Fish took Connor down LDuB and I dont think he scouted anything except Island and Spirit. The same for Sean a couple weeks back.

I think there is something valuable to be gained by following someone's line after a little bit of beta, vice scouting and trying to reinvent the wheel.

Am I way off base here?

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:14pm
Dude, I have a raft trip tomorrow, seems like an early meet time. I may be able to meet you in the P.M. for a run.

I sure would be down to run something on Icicle w/ ya. Should still be some good options (haven't been on it in over a week- my longest absence from it in a few months).

We can firm something up later today or tonight.
Ain't nothin wrong with having a goal and taking a patient approach to achieving it. Too many people take a hastey approach to whitewater, IMO. But I think meditating on a goal and preparing for it can only make the goal more enjoyable to achieve.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by jP

But I think meditating on a goal and preparing for it can only make the goal more enjoyable to achieve.

Aint that the truth, after having a terrifying hike out of Robe I kept paddling and two years later got back in there and had the best day of whitewater of my life to this point.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 6:21pm
I knew this post would pay off. Sometimes it's hard to change your mind on something you're set on and swallow other people's opinions and thoughts, but in the end, after digesting it all, I think the direction I'm heading in is much better. Everyone's input is much appreciated. When i'm ready, I'm going to revive this thread and at that point i will have some more rivers under my belt. Robe isn't going anywhere and I'm really surprised at how long that stretch is in.
In the meantime, For those who are interested, I'll be in Leavenworth around noon tomorrow. I'll probably sit down and drink some coffe and see who calls. Although, I think I may have someone coming with me already. jP, it would be great to paddle with ya. Here's my number, 206.910.2599 or 206.913.3697. I'll be able to check this thread too.
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Jed Hawkes

Aint that the truth, after having a terrifying hike out of Robe I kept paddling and two years later got back in there and had the best day of whitewater of my life to this point.

Agree!
Jon Shell Bee
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 7:19pm
Man, my raft trip is gonna make it tough to join you and Im bummed because Id love to run w/ ya.

I won't be done till 4 I bet. I'll call you anyway but I'll have to play it by ear.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 6:36pm
Got two laps in on lower Icicle! Great run. Had no problems. Except! I did slam my boat into a rock and nearly threw my back out. That hurt, other than that, didn't even have to execute a roll. Thanks for taking me down theim! Maybe more this weekend.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 12:40pm
Our first run was 2003... oh boy I feel old now! Some cool pictures in this link, I'm pretty sure that's faceplant and the rapid with the big holes I'm not sure!

Old timers describe Robe http://cascadeclassics.org/Kayaking/Stillaguamish/Robe/Spring03/Robe_Spring03.htm

I don't understand the aversion some people have to scouting/walking. You can actually walk most of the drops in Robe, and we walked several when we did it the first time. It has really really changed since those days though!

I point this out because my favorite runs have been with limited beta and scouting everything for ourselves. I'm noticing a shift to having a guide down new runs and I think there's something to be said for personal first descents being exploratory.

Edited by Travisimo - 05 Jul 2013 at 12:42pm
H2O please
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version