Professor Paddle: Electric Air Pumps? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Electric Air Pumps? Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: Electric Air Pumps?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 10:51am
I bought an NRS inflatable SUP and it came with the NRS K pump, which requires some serious effort to inflate to the recommended 15psi. 
Rather than simply get physically stronger, I am looking instead for the easy way out with an electic pump.  But the cheapest one at NRS was over $100.

Any leads on cheaper electric pumps?  Anyone with a used one?  Was hoping for something in the $40-50 range or less if I can get away with it.  Guessing the SUP has standard raft valves.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 11:49am
You might be able to get by with a cheepo 12v air mattress pump. It wont top it off but should fill it for you. Just keep the valve open to fill. I got one for $3 at good will, and have used it for six years to inflate rafts.
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 12:49pm
This is the one my wife Sarah uses for her Lynx, just $19 and plugs into a cigarette lighter.
http://www.theboatpeople.com/pumps/dyna-12-volt-inflator-with-cigarette-lighter-plug/

It isn't powerful enough to get the tubes hard, but it gets them most of the way there, enough so the K pump is easy.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 1:05pm
I've got a couple inflatable kayaks and use cheapy air mattress electric pumps to inflate them. None of the 3 pumps I have will pump it up enough to even read on my gauge. I use a K-100 pump to top them off to a whopping 2 1/2 pounds pressure.

15 pounds is a lot. I think I would try pumping it up first with a high volume pump like the air mattress pumps, then maybe top it off with one of those plug into the cigarette lighter tire pumps. The high pressure pumps tend to be pretty low volume, so, pumping up the whole thing with one would take even longer. There used to be a bit more variety in these types of pumps. Lower pressure pumps tended to be higher volume. It seems now that most of these pumps tend to be geared towards really high pressure, which usually means really low volume. I would shop around a bit and try to find one of these tire pumps that is lower pressure and higher volume.

The inflatable SUPs look pretty interesting. I'd be interested in hearing how you solve your pump up problems.

Has anyone paddled one down Boulder Drop yet? :-)
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 1:54pm
Scott you get what you pay for. The LVM is the best fast rate pump, it is going to put out a good amount of air, downside is they get hot and burn through motors if you are pumping up multiple boats frequently. For your use that will not be an issue but they are $100+

I have another electric pump that was like $100 that I would sell for $50. It is a lower flow rate but is made for rafting companies that fill alot of boats each day and don't want the pump to burn out. You could check it out and if it works it is yours. I don't use it because it is much bigger and a bit slower than the LVM. Here is a link to it. Called the Metro Pump

http://www.alltimemedical.com/products/electric_air_inflatordeflator.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlepla&utm_term=27676&atmrid=10&gclid=CLvAy8bJ_bcCFUThQgodIVYACQ

That is similar but still a bit different than the one I have.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 2:51pm
Thanks all.  I have one of those cigarette lighter pumps for my IK.  It will get the IK inflated for the most part, but then I have to top it off with a manual pump.

The problem with the iSUP is that in order to make it rigid they recommend 15psi - so I really have to work the K pump.  Sort of defeats the advantage of the inflatable since its such a pain to manually inflate.

Jiminy Creek-it - thanks so much for the offer.  If that pump is able to go to 15 psi, I am all over it!

Dale - I bought the SUP last year and tried it on the Wenatchee at 6000 and had a lot of fun.  Thinking about some local runs after a bit more practice.  Debating the MM - lot of rocks tho.  Saw a vid somewhere here of someone running BD in one.  Won't replace the kayak, but a fun diversion.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 4:47pm
Very helpful - based on this and further research it looks like a regular raft pump won't have enough PSI, so its either an electric pump made specially for SUP's (also sold by NRS) or that 2 stage K-Pump is the way to go.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 6:50pm
Well Brian, I have heard you talk smack about the LVM for years, and for years my same LVM has been doing me solid... That being said it only gets used maybe 30-40 times each year but still it's going on 4 years now and yes it blows...

The metro is what it is the good ole faithful. The metro will not do what you want Scott. I did not realize that you were looking for a pump to do the full 15psi. Ain't gonna happen, I have a compressor in my van that does 200psi as most will but they have a very limited capacity on the amount of air stored, mine has a little 5 gallon lateral tank and is really there for seating tires, blowing up air bags etc... Check out the ARB solutions but there are way more $$$ than you are probably going to want.

Finally one last option that you might like is the spare emergency jumpstart batttery things. http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B001EBIQYQ

or better http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0AQ-Starter-Inflator-Inverter/dp/B0066IU6OA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

You would then kill 4 birds with one stone. You would have portable DC power,  you would have a jumpstarting backup, the air compressor option to pump up the board, and 4th but most important, you would have a AC power source that if properly connected would offer around 1000 watts of ball zapping current that you could connect to your cars door handles for that random meth head that needs a wake up call....

NightbeastNW
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote NightbeastNW Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 10:11am
Scott,

I've been in the SUP game for quite some time, used to own a C4 iSup (15 psi).  The manual pumps work but they are a huge pain in the ass.

Hands down, the best way to go is this:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1706

Buy this also:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1470.1&pdeptid=2539
or it might be this one:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1471.1&pdeptid=2539

It takes a little glue to get the valve adapter hooked up with the Bravo Wonderpump but once you have it dialed it's the best way to go. 

"SET IT AND FORGET IT"

I just ran the Middle fork of the Salmon on my fiberglass Starboard Whopper, it was incredibly life changing. 

SUP'ing is a blast but kayaking is still the best mode of transportation downstream through ze gnar. 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:39am
Just a quick follow up in case anyone was out there contemplating the iSUP route.

I bought a different manual air pump for now (electric later) - the K-20 works much better and can put you at 15psi without too much effort.

SUP'ed the Upper Middle Snoqualmie yesterday.  It was a peaceful float/run up there - ommmmm. 

I agee with the above post - go to the kayak for ze gnar.  But a good (padded) II+/III would be pretty fun.  I did do the stretch from the concrete bridge to island drop for a little more action to end the day.  I was also happy to see that some of my kayaking paddle-fu is applicable to the one paddle ride.  I became good friends with my draw stroke.

millera74
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote millera74 Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 2:58pm
For those interested, I just bought this small high pressure
portable air pump for my inflatable SUP, and it works like a charm. Pumps up to
12psi, and its pretty reasonably priced. I think it’s made for rafts and
inflatable kites, but works just as well on SUPs.

http://www.windchasersports.com/#!pump/c1yc2

Edited by millera74 - 02 Oct 2013 at 2:58pm
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 2:07pm
LVM pumps are the best. They fail due to operator error. I've owned 3 of them. I've never broken one, others have broken mine.

Tips for not burning out an LVM pump:

When the sound goes higher in pitch, it's done inflating. Running the LCM against high pressure with the higher pitch sound is burning up the motor.

Keep tassles out of the air inlet. If you are wearing a hoody, watch yourself!

Hook it up to the battery securely.

It's like anything, if you don't use it correctly, it will probably break.
MORE RAIN PLEASE
windwaves
Paddler
Paddler

Quote windwaves Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 9:54pm
I had the same dilemma.  Instead of NRS' "set it and forget it" option, I bought a leafield valve adapter from NRS, a tire stem valve from the hardware store, and a ~$30 12V/120V tire pump from Costco.  It has a pressure preselect and shutoff at any pressure. 
Fill it most of the way with a cheapo air mattress pump, then let the costco pump top off to 15psi.  Works great.
Who knows if the costco pump will last as long as the NRS pump, but I can buy three for the price.
windwaves
Paddler
Paddler

Quote windwaves Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 9:58pm
Actually I guess I could buy 5 for the price of the Bravo pump.... The valve adapter and the tire stem valve and some hose clamps totaled <$10

BoardWithLife
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote BoardWithLife Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2014 at 12:17pm
I know this is an old topic, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination for inflation, thinking about buying these items and giving it a try:

http://www.onlinesports.com/airman-reg-cordless-multi-purpose-air-pump.html?srcid=frgl&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=CP-22006XXX&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Products-_-PPC-_-CP-22006XXX&gclid=CK6ZgcTBmr4CFckWMgodmWcA_g”

http://www.slingshotsports.com/HP-SUP-Valve#.U2qGChwjJ8F

Edited by BoardWithLife - 07 May 2014 at 1:54pm
Matism056
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Matism056 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 2:15am
This is a great product! I found some more information on this website: http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/electric-air-pump-1192.html. Hope this is a useful resource for you other readers.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version