Professor Paddle: Surf Kayaking Dagger Kaos vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Open Forum
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Open Forum
Message Icon Topic: Surf Kayaking Dagger Kaos Post Reply Post New Topic
tmatlack
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tmatlack Replybullet Topic: Surf Kayaking Dagger Kaos
    Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:59am
Hey,

The Kaos is essentially a sit on top surfboard but I am having trouble right at takeoff with fishtailing into a hard turn(almost always to the right) then side surfing in the foam. Several reviews site seat position problems and that may be where my trouble is. Or, this boat is just so "carvy" I am leaning/bracing a little on takeoff?

Sitting forward of the cockpit does seem to help as does a clean takeoff, straight, then start the high brace or rudder turns.

Anyone else out there surfing long boards, stand ups, or surf kayaks with any suggestions?

PS: The Kaos is rated to 250 lbs. but I doubt that. I am 180 so easily inside the specs.

Tom at Westport, WA

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 11:31am
I'm not a surf kayaker, but you might try getting in touch with Gary Korb, he is big into the building and surfing and I believe lives on the north side of the pennisula. I don't have any contact information but someone out here might.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
chuckj
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote chuckj Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:27pm
Alas, the Kaos, like it's decked brother, the Alamax is essentially a Big Gun surfboard with a deck or thigh straps. If you are surfing without fins in the back the stern will be very loose in turns. If you're surfing with a fin in the back it will be an absolute pig to turn as the fin boxes sit about a foot behind the seat and not on the pivot point. Am convinced my Alamax gave me a bloody hernia just trying to lift the nose.
Does have a wicked amount of down the line speed but can be a bastard to paddle out especially at W'port due to a lack of nose rocker, so it tends to "submarine."
Gary is a great resource and lives in Joyce. He's specialty though is surf kayaks.
If you're looking for something in the sit on top range, Ken de Bondt builds waveskis and lives overlooking Crescent bay.I know he has just finished a waveski with adjustable footblocks to accomodate a wider range of paddlers to try. He also does custom skis.
I can guarantee that once you've tried a waveski the Kaos will feel like a whale.
Let me know if you're interested, I can give you Ken's contact info.
chuckj
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote chuckj Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:31pm
ANother possible solution to losing your stern is not to take off straight down the face and then crank the bottom turn but rather take off at an angle so that the bottom turn isn't as acute.

You could also try posting this question on Boatertalk's Surfzone or the US Waveski forum.
tmatlack
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote tmatlack Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 3:49am
All,

Yea, I'm gonna jump over to BoaterTalk and try again.

Thanks for the help here. Tom
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version