Professor Paddle: Chronic vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Chronic Post Reply Post New Topic
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rokmnky Replybullet Topic: Chronic
    Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 9:04pm
Well not that kind of chronic, but now that I have you here and big brother I'm sure as well. I'm looking around for a necky chronic. I used to have an orbit fish and that was just a little big for me so I traded it for a squirt boat. Now I'm missing it and I want to find a chronic(the smaller brother). I was hoping to pick up one for around $200 but I'm flexible. If anyone has one taking up space in their garage then I'll happily take it off your hands. So shoot me a pm or join in here talking about how they really should still be making these boats still and what a shame it is that necky got out of whitewater.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 11:16pm
Big shame Necky got out of WW. My first boats were both Necky (Chronic and Crux, the latter stripped of the heavy springs). Very high performance designs, too much so for me when I was just starting out. Though I could do without any more seat time in a Crux, I'd be stoked to shoehorn myself into a tiny Chronic again and see what I've learned and how much added performance I can now reap from that design. It's only 47 gallons, yea? I really liked the simple yet effective outfitting of the late model Necky boats, and would love to put in some time in an Orbit Fish if it's truly a similar yet sized for larger style Chronic.

Saw a guy at the 'Chee last weekend in an OF, and saw a Chronic on the grass at one point, too. They're around.

Guy with the OF remarked how it was the same boat as the Drago Fish, which it is similar to, but not the same. The Fish is, IIRC, sized weightwise between the Chronic and OF, less friendly down river, and capable of a but higher performance. But it has the love it or hate it Drago Rossi outfitting. I could never make it work in my Thruster, or I'd still own it.

Anyway, yeah, the Chronic is very high performance, ahead of its time, and due to the difficulties that come with paddling high performance designs, likelyhood is that you'll find a good condition boat that got a little seat time and was then shelved.

OTOH, I've seen a few beat to sh1t late edition Necky boats, but mostly the creekers.
nnln.
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 2:49am
great boat.
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 5:41pm
Claire Hews has one for sale...  I'll let her know about this post.  PM me for her contact info.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 8:21pm
What's Claire's user name? I would be happy to send her a message.

So I do have some debate in my head now. I really want a chronic because of how fun the boat is in rivers but also because I love it for ocean surfing as well. Today, while knocking around cl, I found a Riot boogie down in Olympia. It's their plastic surf specific boat complete with fins! I'm very torn currently as to which would be the better purchase right now. I'm still leaning heavily toward the chronic from my long lusting but a pure surf kayak could be a lot of fun as well. I think I just need a bigger garage.

Has anyone surfed a boogie? Worth getting one or should I hold out for a composite down the road? I think I could be just as happy leaving ocean surfing to boards and a chronic.
Pedro
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Pedro Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 9:22am
Hey, are you still looking for a chronic? I still use mine, its my only playboat. But I'm up for looking for something different for myself if you want mine. Let me know!
We got the flow...
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 10:46am
Thank for the offer Pedro but I picked up Claire's chronic monday. I stoked to get it out but it needs some work on the outfitting. Necky had a rad concept back then but it's never saw the refinement of other companies. I have some foam shaping in my near future.

Thank you jalmquist for the heads up. I knew I could count on this crowd to source me a chronic.

On the backside, if anyone has some outfitting left over from a broken boat hit me up. Im looking to experiment . I would love to try and fit modern kit in this chronic.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version