Professor Paddle: Sky dam mtg Wed. 6/12 at 6 pm vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Sky dam mtg Wed. 6/12 at 6 pm Post Reply Post New Topic
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote irenen Replybullet Topic: Sky dam mtg Wed. 6/12 at 6 pm
    Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 4:16pm

I know the PP Ball is the big focus right now but let's also remember that the meeting about putting a dam on the Skykomish River above Sunset Falls is happening this coming Wednesday, June 12 at 6 pm, according to the Save the Sky River (website here) people.

According to them, reps from DC will be at the Index Fire Station, 512 Avenue A in Index at 6 pm.

I am not personally the one usually standing on a piece of machinery with a cardboard sign stating 'Union yes' or 'Dam no', but Mike and I plan to be there.  For those of you who care about the Sky river and setting a precedent for policies regarding dams on whitewater in this area in general, please remember it's happening on Wednesday and it would be great to see a lot of local paddling faces there.

Cheers, and have a great weekend.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 5:01pm
Hey Irene-- thanks for bringing this to the forefront here on PP!!
I think it is way more important than the PP Ball, and needs to be talked about before, during, and after this weekend.

Gonna try to make it next week for sure. These agendas seem more driven by small private interests w/ money and business savvy than by an actual real demand for power, when we waste so much and should really be looking at ways to LOWER OUR DEMAND for electricity.

Stoked you brought this back to the forum(s) when you did.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:09pm
Bump.

I'm gonna try and make this. Anyone want to do a Sky lap before?
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:44pm
Can't make it up from Tacoma by then, but thanks Irene for bringing it up.  Please everyone, keep the updates coming.  The more I can do the better!
Kiran
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Kiran Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 7:18pm
Mid week is hard to get to the Sky ;-(

How ELSE can we contribute to opposing this?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 7:25pm
Im gonna load the boat and make a break for it after work. Phil, I might get there by 4:15?

I love that river too much not to speak up for it, since these banksters dont speak its language and cant hear her message for themselves.
If they dont listen to the voice of reason and this insanity moves forward well, I personally, will not let this happen. Im talking about turning that River right side into a whitewater kayaking version of fraggle rock. Blast me too mother fu*kers!!!
You guys just float me supplies down stream and Ill fish em out and we'll Occupy Sunset.

Edited by septimus prime - 10 Jun 2013 at 7:08am
Jon Shell Bee
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 6:38pm
DAM it....

Jiminy Creek-it, can we put this on a sticky? The ball is gonna be awesome and will go to the top (as it should).

BUT... this is huge The precedent is dangerous too, can you say Ashlu?
I'll be there. Please try to recruit as many people as you can. Somebody else bump this next so I don't look like a dork when I do...

Am I wrong?

Finally I get to use the Lorax icon! Warning, I'll bump with it every chance I get now...

Edited by Travisimo - 08 Jun 2013 at 6:57pm
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 7:29pm
I have an idea.

Is this really going to shut down HWY 2?

Let's put up signs on Highway 2 to get locals to show up! Anyone want to go door to door?

This method seems dirty. Having the meeting at a time when it is impossible for most people to get out there. let's try to get people who will suffer directly to come?

Anyone better than me at petitions? We could try to get an online list of names and addresses, maybe using facebook?

Edited by Travisimo - 08 Jun 2013 at 7:34pm
H2O please
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:23pm
couple more days til the meeting...
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 2:45pm
I'll be there. Jon, I will try to corrdinate w/ you about a lap beforehand, and anyone else who wants it.

Yeah, how can you have a "Wild Sky" when this sh*t is allowed to push its way through?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 2:50pm
Hey can we post a link to more info about this? I will also dig for the original thread about this.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 3:44pm
how else can we oppose this? meeting is at a terrible time.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 7:47pm
JP, here is the original link to AW's write up on the matter.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/31701/

And for anyone who can't attend these public meetings, here is more info on how the public can let their voice be heard...

Any individual can attend these meetings to learn about the project and provide formal input.

Environmental Site Review
Date and Time: Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 2:00 p.m.
Intersection of State Road 2 and 2nd Street, Gold Bar, WA 98251
Phone Number: (425) 783-1709

Evening Scoping Meeting
Date and Time: Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 6:00 p.m.
512 Avenue A, Index, WA 98256
Phone Number: (360) 793-0866

Daytime Scoping Meeting
Date and Time: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:00 a.m.
300 Desmond Drive SE, Lacey, WA 98503
Phone Number: (360) 407-6000

In addition to these meetings, there are three options for filing written comments. These comments are due by July 19th, 2013.

1) For those who wish to file comprehensive comments you can register on the FERC website for eFiling. Registering allows you to sign up for the docket (in this case P-14295) and you will be notified of all filings and future opportunities to comment on the project. We recommend this option for those who want to carefully track the development of this project.

2) For those who do not wish to register but who would like to file a comment of less than 6,000 characters you can use the eComment system. You will want to file your comment with docket P-14295. You must still include your name and contact information at the end of your comments.

3) For those who wish to mail a hard copy of comments you can mail your comments to Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 888 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20426. Be sure to reference the docket number (for this project it is P-14295) in your introductory paragraph so that your comment is filed correctly.

... or just follow the first link to the official AW page that lists all the info.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 11:07pm
Thanks dude- wifi connection has been spotty lately n Im too lazy to sift through sh*t. So your response is appreciated
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:36am
Thanks so much Irene.  I'll be sharing this with our club at univ. of Puget Sound.  I'm assuming local raft and kayak companies are going to be doing everything they can to stop this, and all of our clubs and groups in the area should do the same.  You can bet I'll be handing out this information at the race on the Sky this Sunday!
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 7:02am
Bump. Probably gonna get their a little after 4 pm. Gear is loaded.
Jon Shell Bee
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 7:49am
See you at the take out, Shelby.
mattwave
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mattwave Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:50am
Any reports from the meeting?
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 9:42am
Originally posted by mattwave

Any reports from the meeting?

There was a good showing from the whitewater community there. Here's a copy of what I reported to WRRR regarding the meeting:

The scoping meeting in Index last night for the proposed dam of the SF Skykomish River went well. For those of you who don't know, Snohomish PUD wants to build a dam, blast a diversion tunnel and build a powerhouse at the site of Canyon and Sunset Falls on the SF Skykomish river. This is a river that is supposed to be protected by the State Scenic Rivers Act.

Members of FERC were there to hear input from any interested parties. And they did. The speakers and crowd were overwhelmingly opposed to the dam for a wide variety of reasons. Speakers included local home and business owners, SnoPUD rate payers, representatives of private and public organizations, people with vast experience in law, engineering, public safety, people with interest in fisheries, recreation and conservation. There were many impassioned and intelligent cases against building this dam all met with cheers and applause. Representing the whitewater community, Thomas O'Keefe delivered an intelligent and compelling statement against the dam project. I did not hear one decent compelling reason in favor of the dam. I hope FERC listens.

FERC STILL WANTS YOUR INPUT! If you didn't get to speak at the meeting, FERC is still collecting input.

Go to http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp to tell FERC your reasons the dam should not be built. Reference docket # P-14295 when you file your comments online.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:22pm
Bumping this, because we still gotta file some sort of input by july 19th.
Word.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 5:04pm
And I'm bumping this thread too because the first post at the top (Irene's) does a nice little summary.

Seriously I think its worth staying on top of thisand doing whatever we can.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version