Professor Paddle: SF Salmon Beta? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: SF Salmon Beta? Post Reply Post New Topic
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AdamG Replybullet Topic: SF Salmon Beta?
    Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 9:52am
I am on permitted trips down the Middle Fork followed by the Selway - yes, back to back.

We're hoping to kick off our trip with the 2-day trip on the SF Salmon from Secesh out to the Main. I've seen some photos from this trip in the gallery and wanted to see if anyone has beta to share? The tone of the run seems very level-dependent so I'm mostly curious about water levels, when does it start to get high? 4.5-5'?

Any other beta (camp locales, rapids, etc) would be appreciated
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:07am
AH .. When are you projected to be there ? the secech is dropping out get it now !! the SF Salmon is holding and may get a bump but not sure it will go big again this year. water level is subjective to the paddler... above 5' is getting to be the real deal SF big water feal anything below 5' is good to go for most folks who have never done it. real high isnt till 7' and higher but again folks go in higher.   There are two bigger rapids I would scout.. Have fun !!!

Edited by FLUID - 05 Jun 2013 at 10:07am
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:25am
Thanks FLUID! We'll be there next Wednesday and plan on boating EFSF, Goat Creek and/or Secesh on Wendnesday then putting on the SF on thursday.

Just to confirm, the levels you mentioned are using the SF Salmon near Krassel Ranger Station USGS gauge, correct?

Fired up!
jonlcrain
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonlcrain Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 11:19am
Where is Yellow Pine?
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 12:44pm
About 40 miles east of McCall (middle of nowhere), can you join us?
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 1:47pm
I was there a couple weeks ago. Doubt there's enough snow for it to go big again, even back then didn't look like there was a ton left up high.

FLUID is talking about the Krassel gauge. Current flows (4.3) are just about perfect for a first time run in my opinion. Secesh is probably pretty bony now. Watch for wood.

I'd add that if you're looking at the full Secesh, the shuttle from the put in to all the other runs you're talking about is long - maybe 3hrs one way? There's a road and you can run the last few miles of the Secesh from the Yellowpine area. If you are looking at the full deal, the French Cr road should be open now.
JeffR
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JeffR Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 2:12pm
Secesh was 44 on the top gauge on Monday (near the last bridge before the putin). McCall locals call that medium, and they expect it to hold through the weekend due to the heat.
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 6:51pm
Heading in this weekend .. we'll give you a Secech update on monday. You should really try for getting on that its super classic and makes for a cool way to get into the sf and adds a day to your trip with no roads.....
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 11:36am
Unfortunately, adding the Secech to our trip isn't in the cards because we don't have an extra day but it sounds like a no brainer - less driving, another day of boating! Will do it next time....

Here's an ignorant question, for approaching the SF drainage from the North, is Lick Creek Rd preferred? Or is Warm Lake Rd? Sounds like Lick Creek is the more rugged of the two but I didn't know if the extra miles of Warm Lake is worth it?

Thanks for information, look forward to hearing an update, FLUID!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version