Professor Paddle: Coopdate vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Coopdate Post Reply Post New Topic
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Topic: Coopdate
    Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:26pm
Rode up to the Cooper this morning to check flows, and here she is at voodoo http://instagram.com/p/Z8oTGQA64s/

Also checked up China gorge, here is triple drop http://instagram.com/p/Z8oM0eg64j/

Now just enjoying the sunshine in Roslyn until the crew shows up with my gear.
"Full Face" Andy
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:17pm
Soooo ... help me out. Are these good levels? And, if so, do you expect them to hold for the weekend?
Catch your eddies,
Christian
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:31pm
From what I understand Cooper is looking nice with some juice. Definitely boats lower but shouldn't be too high. I hope and think it will hang out for the weekend. Will be back then too.

China gorge looks like it has enough too. But not sure how it should look.
"Full Face" Andy
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 2:22pm
I wouldnt call the cooper juicy at all. Monday it was medium/low. Pretty much what that picture looks like. 1700 on the cle elum inflow this time of year is not the same as 1700 in July. Still a good level right now though Christian.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:35pm

Agree with Ferdie,  I would call it low side of Medium. Medium is when the nob is wet and getting lapped at, high and juicy is when the nob is getting splashed and then covered.. if you can't see the nob, you will get a surprise when you show up toe S-Turn, that one gets a nice little hole at higher levels...

That photo of triple drop is starting to look low. I won't not venture down there at those levels, your going to start finding alot of bumpiness in the tweener stuff, but if you don't mind a little "gravel in your travel" it is still fun. If anything you can just do laps on China Falls by putting in at the Davis Creek Trail head...

Edited by James - 30 May 2013 at 3:36pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:34pm
Cooper was definitely not medium low today. One line at s turn was to ride the shelf on far river right that is usually high and dry. The sharks tooth was completely covered too.

Either way really fun today. Should stay fun through the Weekend.
"Full Face" Andy
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 11:40pm
To each their own I suppose. It goes just fine with a lot more water.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:30am
Fenix I guess it is a preference thing. If the right shelf at S-Turn was High and Dry I would consider it way to LOW at those levels you are going to be taking plastic off at the ledge above voodoo in the rock entry and several other places would become less than smooth. There are those that prefer to bounce off rocks, and there are those that prefer to clean over them...
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:46am
Just putting out the beta for others to know.
"Full Face" Andy
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:55am
I think the description of the water over the right ledge was a great piece of Beta... Unlike talking about un-descript rocks, wet or dry, that is an easy to identify area that can be easily described... how you view the level is up too you but certainly one of the better features to compare the level with...+1
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:08am
Not trying to be a water snob, but a good assessment of water levels based on what possible flows are for a run is important, I think. It would be a bummer to go to any run specifically because of a reported high level and then get medium flows. I'm no high water superhero but I like some extra juice on runs I know well. The more consensus we have on levels, particularly for a run like the cooper which has no real gauge, the better. Of course it gets blurry with med/low and med/high. Some would consider 6ft on robe high, some med/high and some others might consider it a relaxing float. However, the general consensus is that over 6ft robe is high. Just some thoughts.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:27am
We could pull a hoover and paint a nice non-descript gauge on the wall so you can walk up and easily see what the level is... but I fear that locals/party teens would see the paint as approval to start tagging and putting graffiti everywhere. If that was the case I would prefer to leave it to guessing.
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:35am
Why not mount something like this:

It's more work, but it's also more accurate, doesn't look like graffiti, and can be easily removed if land managers object.

It sure would be sweet to have a gauge on the Cooper.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 4:49pm
anyone going to be there this coming Friday? want to start the ball early. nice of i don't have to take the mini bike.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:51pm
Hee hee- he said "Gravel in yer travel"
Makes me wanna take the back road
(To the river that is)
Once I get to the put in its time to board the train and ride the dragon's back. Don't need no gravel in my travel once I'm skirted up in a kayak

Seriously though, Fenix- thanks for the report, and don't let that elitist high water snob Ellingferd push you aroun----

Ha come on guys you know Im just joshin.
Funny, Leland-- what's that strange stick w/ lines and numbers on it?

Yeah we could install more stick guages more places (The Foss Bridge could really use one). I'd put the Cooper Stick up near the put in though so's the local kids don't see it or fu*k w/ it.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 12:24am
Basically the only way we can ever establish what is low/med/high for these runs is by having the sort of discourse we are having now. Sure it is subjective and preferencial, but by discussing it and coming up with popular averages we can define these flow ranges over time.

Its what the color coding on AW's and PP's river pages are all about. The important thing is not to be too personally invested in one's own individual interpretation vs. what the bulk of the local paddlers have agreed to be a sort of average.

Like, so what if Rob, Darren, Sam, and Ben or whoever consider Robe above 6' to be "medium high" or not. The average avid Robe paddler who is truly knowledgeable of the run seems to agree that 6' marks a certain transition from medium-high to high. Subjective perhaps, but collectively agreed upon by that community of boaters.

Similarly, as Jiminy Creek-it and Ellingferd weighed in on the Cooper's flows, it should be taken into account that both paddlers have avid familiarity with the Cooper as well as a proven history of avid attendence in the sport for several seasons. So it's important to hold their opinions in some regard.

That said, unlike Jiminy Creek-it or Ellingferd who are at a skill and experience level where they can cassually run the Cooper higher, many attendees of the Cooper are not as experienced. The Cooper is for many a stepping stone or, heheh, a "step ladder" kind of run. It is also user-friendly for the weekend warrior who wants to keep creeking more manageble. Boating it at some of Ellingferd's prefered flows might chomp some of these paddlers if the step out of line at, say, Norm's Resort or S-Turn.

Yet another factor is the boat one is paddling. Remember me in my off-the-couchier days, Jiminy Creek-it? When you and I did the Cooper kinda high? We had that sketchy scout at S-Turn and you saved me from slipping right off that slimy rock into the hole...
Ok- I admit I was gripped that day even though most of the run was just fine. But Norm's was stomping too.
The Diablo is a fine kayak but its edgier. Slicey dicey pointy. About 67 gallons, I think.

Man, an 80 gallon Shiva like I got now would eat that sh*t up at those same flows, especially with the jP that is driving it these days. Seat time makes a huge difference.

All this to come full circle to say that the whole flow range is good, one's personal preference is good, and should be appropriate for where you are at w/ your paddling game. 'Cuz it fluctuates. If you paddle as much as Ellingferd on the types of runs he does, you probably want more juice too. I know I do. But take me outta my boat for a few months, or take away my years of river time, and I'd have to back off the spigot accordingly. Because I don't like high water swims (unless its a highwater swim I already took and survived).

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 12:44am
Another thing that may be important to consider is this:

If you are progressing as a paddler, and new to the Cooper, and reading this very thread right now, by absorbing the input of these boaters who do like it fat'n juicy you can guage potential in your own future w/ this awesome little creek. You have knowledge it can successfully be run higher. Knowledge is power when we "step up" our game.

Maybe some paddlers are reading this who are super familiar w/ El COOPERINO, but always run it scrapy elf low. Maybe they permanently prefer to run it low, and the sport is beautiful that we can custom tailor it for ourselves this way.

But if you step up your game by adding water to the Cooper, you can rest easy knowing that most of the lines are the same, but that NORM'S will get stout n sticky, and S-Turn can get stomping rowdy. Wall of Voodoo? hell I don't remember but you should scout it whenever you show up to drop a shuttle rig at the t.o. anyway.

So the prudent Cooper boater can approach those crux rapids intelligently if running it at a higher flow than they are accustomed. Scout. Set Safety. Send the hero boater who is rock solid down first to set safety.

Do it smart, and gradually if you have to, but I advocate this:

If you love a run, continue to add water. Expand your comfort with the pushy gushy. It is good for your kayaking, as long as you are reasonably fit, and have a taste for some excitement. Drive that boat.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 8:44am
a little off topic but i heard the Cle elum is free of wood. so if one found the coop too roosty they could run the cle. this info is third party but likely reliabl. cheers.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 5:16pm
Some guys in the NE made a nice professional spray-stencil for creating paddler's gauges out of lexan and I never heard of anyone objecting to the gauges - probably because they looked so official.
-Jay
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 11:57pm
Good quote. "If you love a run, and more water." That a good rule to play by for the most part... as long as you can account for terminal holes...
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 2:20am
Auh ??
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 8:10am
I think I'm heading out that way Chris. I'll be rallying up the wifey, so she'll be with me. Should be a killer weekend.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 11:56am
I will head up there too Kris, probably going to drive out on Thursday or Friday morning, not sure which yet. Then boat the coop on Friday heading over to the Snatchy that eve.
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 4:18pm
Ill be out there all day thursday. Looks like it should be primo.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 5:40pm
i may be on an alternate mission. will be in the natchee zone Saturday
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version