Professor Paddle: Raft Repair Recommendation vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Raft Repair Recommendation Post Reply Post New Topic
Liz
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liz Replybullet Topic: Raft Repair Recommendation
    Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:02am
Hi Friends!

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying the spring.  I'm still hanging out over in Kennewick - missing the trees, but enjoying the sun :)  Not paddling much right now as hubby and I are expecting a baby in about a month.  So excited!

Anyway, I have a friend who has an older raft with a torn thwart mount and is looking for someone to repair it.  Any recommendations for a raft repair place in the PNW?

Thanks in advance,
Liz
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:20am
Is there even a place that sells rafts in all of Washington?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:25am
Good question. I would call Andy and Bax (do I got that name right?) Anyway they have that rafter's dream of a shop in Portland in the same district as Next Adventure.

Call Andy and Bax (its an army navy store that specializes in raft outfitting, repair, ect. I'm sure if they can't help ya they can point you in the right direction.

Take care Liz! Congratulations, Mom!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:27am
I'd also go to the wonderful WRRR folks (Washington Recreational River Runners). They gotta have some answers foy ya too.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:31am
My recommendation is to repair it himself. It is good practice and if you own a raft you should have the knowledge before you get on the river... at least in my opinion.

Otherwise my suggestion is to call West Marine as ask them for a boating store in the tri cities that repairs Zodiac Rafts. There are three major brands of Zodiac styles that are made from PVC, Hypalon, and Nylon so most boat shops would be able to figure it out...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:42am
Oh, I do agree w/ Jimmy-Jo-Bob that self repair is good. I'd say a call to Andy and Bax would put you on a good launch pad and maybe line you out with whatever you need materials wise.

Another good source might just be our very own Jed Hawkes, if you are looking for advice...

Jed? What say you?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:46am

On second thought, You should just have Jiminey-Jo-Bob-Diddly do it. He's such a clever Nuttee Pee!

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:59am
I prefer nutty P over jo bob diddily doo, but at this point I would not mind being called any number of names as long as I were on the river during the name calling... not that I would trade my hand of cards for another though... just saying.

Tell your friend to fix the raft, I did a few raft repairs on mine, well more like improvements cups, rings etc.. and knowing how and having done it are two different things. Using MEK in your garage will at least help you know what it will take for field repairs and that could save your butt on an overnighter... or even day trip for that matter.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 2:47pm
I agree with both Joe Pesci and Jimmy-Jo-Bob Dean, patch it your self, it's super easy if you can/are willing to follow directions. If you go on the Aronaught Inflatable Research and Engineering Website they have a few how-to videos on repairing your raft.

You might also try and see if Rainey Pass does raft repair, they might considering they do everything else.

Otherwise shipping it to the manufacturer for repair will cost you a ton in shipping fees.

Depending on the material changes what sort of glue and solvents you should use. Do you know if it's a PVC or hypolon boat?

they could also try calling some of the local raft companies and see if they have any out of work guides that know how to patch rafts, in my time guiding I made a little cash on the side fixing rafts.

Heck, if they're in Seattle and send me some pics ahead of time I'd be willing to do it for a nominal fee.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 2:48pm
Jimmy-Jo-Bob
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 2:49pm
Ok I was just checking to see if that worked like I though it would. Way to keep it interesting Jimmy-Jo-Bob.
978-273-7723
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:02pm
I don't think so. More like Rr'nt'n.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋