Professor Paddle: Sauk @ 9,000 cfs? (Sauk Talk) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Sauk @ 9,000 cfs? (Sauk Talk) Post Reply Post New Topic
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Topic: Sauk @ 9,000 cfs? (Sauk Talk)
    Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:01pm
What is the sauk like at 9,000 cfs?  I have ran it before from 2-4,000 cfs.  is 9,000 considered high on the sauk?

the river beta says "4,000+ is absolutely cranking".

Edited by not-very-clever - 18 May 2013 at 4:04pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2013 at 6:46pm
I think the first time I rowed it was at 10 or 9k. Don't have my boat journal in front of me at the moment. Id say a -IV. I've done it at lower levels since but I remember thinking that the higher the better....more fun/bigger waves. The Wavesget bigger and some large holes come out but most were avoidable enough. Haven't been up on it since November so can't comment on the wood situation. Probably not a super safe place for a beginner at 10k but definitely manageable for an experienced boater.

IMO 5K-7k cfs is not cranking on the sauk

Edited by SPerillo - 18 May 2013 at 6:48pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:12pm
I would call it medium high. The features get a little bigger, and the calm sections between the rapids moves a bit faster. It should be totally manageable for a group with III+/IV- skills.

The slow section towards the end speeds up, but doesn't develop any rapids.

As of two weeks ago the run was clean, but we have had some water and weather since then.

Kyle
I smell bacon
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2013 at 11:59pm
I checked,the highest I did it was 9560.

Yeah,the high water helps with the flat stuff at the end. Love the Sauk on a sunny day though. Great views,no one around(it feels) and lots of bald eagles
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:59am
The Sauk is in great shape this season, no significant wood just the occational sweeper along the bank. As for flows, 9000 is a great level. The lines dont get any harder at higher water, stuff just comes at you quicker. Love the Sauk!
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2013 at 8:46am
Check the description again.

There are a number of different gauges on the Sauk. Sauk @ Sauk, Sauk @ Darrington and Sauk above Whitechuck. None of these paint a perfect picture of what the level on the middle Sauk is, but they're all useful.

It seems you are referring to the Sauk @ Sauk gauge, which is the one that is the used as the default gauge. On that gauge 9000 cfs is what I'd call a fluffy medium. Its bigger water than at 2-4k on that gauge (i'd call 2 low and 4 low end of medium), but still mostly a class 3 run, with several III+ rapids and Jaws can certianly be considered IV-. It is bigwater 3 though, compared to low levels that are more technical 3.

The note on the description about "cranking at 4000" refers to the Sauk above Whitechuck gage... which is currently around 2100.

Again, the deal with Sauk gages are.. the "above Whitechuck gage" is not far from the put-in, but the Whitechuck river comes in right before the put-in so that alters your actual flow quite a bit. And the Sauk at Sauk gague is something like 20 miles downstream and several sizeable creeks and the Suiatte river come in to add to that flow. So looking at both of those gages is ususally a good idea to get an estimate on your actual flow.

Eventually I'd like to use the newer gage in Darrington for this run, but still collecting data to determine what a good range of flows on that gage are.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:54am
Thanks for Dropping some knowledge on that subject, Joe-- you are about as dialed into the details for that area as much as anyone around.

Yo BP!!! (ThrowYaMitts...)
Thanks for the current report- I know that's your zone these days. I'm actually running livestock on Saturday out there, so hopefully I'll see you. I'll contact you this week.

Appreciate everyone's input, since I've never been very familiar w/ that run. No reason to pay attention if I'm hardshelling, but when it comes to pushing rubber w/ muggles, I tend to approach the Sauk w/ a healthy dose of respect and caution.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:05pm
What time JP? I want to swim by and heckle you.
More water, please.
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:11pm
Sweet JP! I will be out in Darrington Friday and Saturday.

Joe, thanks for clarifying the gauge info. I think it confuses a lot of people.

I also wanted to mention to the general boating community that the rafting company that my sister and I own (Adventure Cascades) has set up shop in Darrington at the corner of 530 and the Mt. Loop Hwy, the 4 way stop where you turn right to go up river. All are welcome to stop in and say hi and we are more than happy to fill you in with and info you might need about the Sauk or other runs in the area. We are the only outfitter based in Darrington and we feel that we know the Sauk as well as anyone. We also love to have boaters tag along on our trips, rafts or kayaks, and we do as many fun runs as we can. Call ahead, email or stop in if you need someone to boat with. Phone# 360.393.6815 or brian@adventurecascades.com

Thanks,
Brian Pernick
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:30pm
im doing an overnighter on the sauk this weekend.  putting in at bedal on saturday.  if anyone would like to join, i might be able to carry some of your gear on the cataraft.
pm me if your interested.
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:10pm
Nice to see some Sauk talk on PP

Just curious where you plan on taking out,Commander Fun? I've never overnighted on the Sauk but def plan on it this summer.

Might stop into Adventure Cascades sometime and see if you guys got any info on the Suiattle. Keep an eye out ....I row a sexy white/orange Legend or an grey SDPuma...
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:42pm
i'll be taking out at darrington
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 10:12am
@ Up4air: well, if you wanna swim by and heckle me that bad, I suppose I had that coming -just be aware that in a raft I ascribe to the Maritime Rule of Tonnage.

@ BP- cool - should see you out there. We'll probably meet custies at the IGA, which seems to be some industry standard for the Sauk.

@ The Commander: I did a three day trip on that stretch in the cold May Rain (eat your heart out, Axl Rose), and it was awesome. It was a Japanese Knotweed Survey, and the Northwest Cascades Institute has that sh*t on the run up in there!

@ Sperillo: "Sauk Talk" sounds like another awesome title for what I call a semi-sticky thread, if you ask me...(like the Robe Watch, Silly Stilly, or Cupdate threads).

Maybe see all of you out there...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 10:53am
"Sauk Talk"  I like it!

Meeting at IGA and changing behind a tree at the take out may have been the industry standard for trips on the Sauk, but at Adventure Cascades we feel that our guests deserve better.  Our little shop on the corner is complete with parking, a clean bathroom and private changing stalls. It is also a great place to hang out after a trip.

Stop by if you need a warm, dry place to change into your boating gear.
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:05am
Brian that is awesome! Perfect for dum dums like me who left one bootie or glove in another bag at home.

JP you can just tell your guests that if they don't do what you say, they'll end up like me...

Still don't know if I'm getting out - some respiratory ailment/virus has taken up residence in my lungs and head for weeks and is not responding to eviction notices or anti-viral blasts and rest.
More water, please.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:59am
Well, there is certainly a place on the river for each and every one of us. We just have to be conscious about when, where, and how we mix and match in so far as some of these adventures are concerned.

Sorry to hear you are under the weather- I got a really bad sinus infection this winter that had me down for about 6 weeks, despite two different perscriptions of antibiotics. Life sucked for a bit, so I sympathize.

But back to more Sauk Talk...
Despite the vaguely defined nature of the Sauk (perhaps because of it), I take that run w/ a wary approach when it comes to rafting it. Its changeable nature and spread out, wide riverbed leaves some room to get caught off guard by features that otherwise aren't very formidible.

Fortunately I rafted it last year (it may have been around "10,000-", come to think of it.) So it is somewhat fresh in my mind. Thanks for lettin me R3 along w/ your trip, BP- that was a great trip!

"10,000 minus some change" was the guage reading, according to my log, but not the flow we were boatin on. That has always confused me a little, but then again, I never stopped to think it through either. And the wide glacial valley allows the flow to greatly disperse. I remember a healthy fun Medium.

What really impresses me the most about the Sauk is its glacial history and its relationship to the Skagit, Suiattle and N. Stilly.

Basicaly my impression is that those rivers all shared real estate like some gigantic Co-Op. "Oh sh*t! This huge glacial morain is blocking my flow, dude!! Where am I to go?" Said one of the rivers.
"No problem, bro, just re route through here for a few thousand years till we sort it out"

That corridor from Darrington to the Skagit has had water flowing in both directions at alternating points, and arguably the Sauk/ Suiattle is "supposed to" be flowing into the N. Stilly drainage, not the Skagit. I mean, I ain't no Fluvial Morphologist, but just looking at the map, its pretty obvious. So I have sought out some litterature on the subject and was pleased to find some, but unfortunately don't retain the details too well. Too many riverside "safety meetings", I guess. Gonna try to brush up on it this week, because the forces involved are of titanic proportions. Anyone here who can flesh out their own insights to this history, please share!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:08pm
Good points there, I've always thought the water flowed in the 'wrong' direction in some parts up there. But then being of the female persuasion I thought it was just my sense of direction...
More water, please.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 11:53am
I couldn't find whatever resources I discovered online in the past regarding the monumental history of the Sauk/Suiattle/Skagit/N.Stilly.

But then, not surprisingly, AW's N.Frk Stilly page happens to hold the most concise summary of these amazing geological events.

Here's the URL...

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2237/
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:37am
Anyone feeling Sauk'y?
Post Reply Post New Topic