Professor Paddle: Rapid and Foss? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Rapid and Foss? Post Reply Post New Topic
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote osmelendez Replybullet Topic: Rapid and Foss?
    Posted: 17 May 2013 at 6:23pm
Is now the time to run The Rapid and Foss? I've heard that when the Sky is about 8,000 cfs then the Rapid is in.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2013 at 6:57pm
I disagree. It will likely be Bone Zone. If boat abuse is your thing, have at it. But geologicly, like the Foss and many of Washington's continuous runs, you want to cover up all of that small, rough rock. I'd say a more realistic window is 10-13K.

One year I ran it when the sky was 9k and it was ridiculously low. The people I ran it w/ were quite happy with it, but then again they aren't really creek boaters that I see out there paddling much.

Now keep in mind I'm not advocating some crazy high flow. When I say 10-13K I'm talking about a reasonable medium. Peeps gotta get hip to the reasonable medium and stop boating sh*t in the bone zone. Its bad for your boat, makes you hydrophobic, and stunts one's growth as a paddler.

I really think 8K is gonna be pretty dry. Sure, you may be able to scratch, scrape, and bump your way to the take out, but that's not paddling whitewater anymore. That's Rockwater paddling. Yeah, some creeks ELF boat really well. Rapid and Foss aren't those kinds of creeks. That's not my opinion, its geology.

Whatever floats your boat, but floating is a good place to start. I'd say come run Lower Icicle instead, maybe consider the Upper. I'd show you down anytime, Oscar (as long as its medium low or higher).
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2013 at 6:58pm
Last weekend or early this week woulda been perfect.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
theim
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote theim Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2013 at 7:12pm
Hey JP, are running lower icicle tomorrow or sunday? Any chance I can tag along? Pretty sure we run tumwater at low water last year together.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2013 at 7:41pm
Sure- I was trying to leave Der Town this weekend and still may. But, most likely I will be out running Icicle. I can't say I'm getting bored with it, but a change of scenery is over due.

So if you are around hit me up. Gonna PM you my number tonight. Probably paddling w/ the Mayor of Icicle creek and the esteemed Doctor. So they will be setting the agenda and it will likey be an Upper/Middle combo. Middle will be big.

But, I love the lower too and it should be medium high or so. I will try to get a better idea what those guys are planning, and keep an eye on flows.

All of Icicle is pretty clean of wood in general right now, so I'd say the next few weeks should be good. This weekend may end up being prime for Lower and/or Upper. Generally speaking, once the Wenatchee drops back down to 6K or less, it'll be all about the Middle, which is definitely more stout-ish.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
snowblind
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote snowblind Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:26am
Got to agree w JP on his assessment of the Rapid.  It needs a higher level via Sky@GB than the Foss.  I look for at least 9k going up and 11k going down but an even better way to est. is using the http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?id=SSSW1  SF Guage at Skykomish.  Look for 7' for a nice mediumish flow.  It'd be low right now.  And there is new wood all visible from the roadside drive. 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:33am
Huh- I've never checked that guage. Totally makes sense to work off of a guage located in Skykomish. Thanks for pointing that one out, Snowblind. It would take using it awhile to get aquainted to how it correlates, but more accurate for sure.

Speaking of snowblind, that has to be one of the best named rapids in the state.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2013 at 10:55am
Thanks for the info guys. I was on the peninsula this weekend. I'll look for those flows and check that gauge.
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:14pm
Personally, I like the Foss (n spring) when the Sky gauge is around 8k (and I hate rockboating). It depends on whether the Sky is rising or falling, and whether it's raining or all snowmelt, or fall or spring. Don't know how to correlate with the S. Fork gauge that was mentioned, cuz all we've ever looked at was the Sky at Goldbar gauge. I've also run the Rapid a couple of times when the Sky gauge was 8500-ish and it was just fine. Of course, I'm not as good a paddler as JP, so maybe it just scares me too much when it's higher than that.
Just my two cents.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:37am
-There's a gauge rock (that I mentioned in the chunk of the write-up that I added) that has worked really well for us a a paddler's gauge, and correlates very well with the gauge readings mentioned above.

For some reason the photos I added to the river page aren't displaying anymore, but maybe one of the PP admin's can figure out how to post it here if it doesn't show up.

Anyhow - the rock is at the base of the takeout bridge on river left. If it's in the water but below the midpoint it's low, if it's at the midpoint it's mediumish, the closer the rock gets to being buried the more you are getting into the high end of medium, and once it's below water you are looking at gradations of highish flows.

Being right at the base of the run it's been much more responsive/accurate for us than online gauges.

-Jay
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 6:07pm
Cool. That's helpful.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:18pm
Yup. JayB is often a good source for beta. The cool thing about the Rapid is how visible it remains from the road.

Here's a suggestion (but do what you want, Oscar):
There is too much of a tendency for paddlers now-a-days to shorten, chop up, and truncate runs. Its fashionable for most boaters to only run the lowest mile of the Rapid. Then more and more people follow the trend, and soon it is common place for peeps to only run half the run. Kinda weak, IMNSHO. I suggest more paddlers go up further to the primitive camping upstream and put in below the Stout n Stacked class V drops there. You'll double the length of your run and get several more rapids in. Yes there may be more wood, so depending on what's "in play" you'll have to decide what's practical for you. But if you put in higher up its more time on the water. Yes there is a flatwater "intermission" but it's breif, and quite beautiful. Scenery is definitely one of the reasons I paddle. Yup you can't see that portion because its away from the road.

We have made many of Washington's runs ridiculously short. Challenge yourself just a tiny bit more and get more time in your boat while you're at it. At least once. Then later cut it out if you don't like that upper stretch.

Edited by jP - 22 May 2013 at 7:21pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by snowblind

Got to agree w JP on his assessment of the Rapid.  It needs a higher level via Sky@GB than the Foss.  I look for at least 9k going up and 11k going down but an even better way to est. is using the http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?id=SSSW1  SF Guage at Skykomish.  Look for 7' for a nice mediumish flow.  It'd be low right now.  And there is new wood all visible from the roadside drive. 

Thanks for the update. How would you characterize the wood you saw? (Big/small?)
-Jay
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 11:06am
I'm familiar with the wood at the takeout, since we ran the Beckler a couple of weeks ago. It would pretty much require taking out before the last rapid, since it blocks the entire exit to that rapid where it enters the Beckler (and there are no possible take-out eddies in the middle of the rapid). Of course, if you drive up there, you'll see it right away-though it is a 5-mile drive off Hwy. 2
Don't know so much about the other wood mentioned.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 11:21am
Hey Lisa!!
Just outta curiosity, what was the Sky @ G-Bar reading when you ran the Beckler?

And what kind of shape is the Beckler in lately (wood wise)? Is it clean enough for rafts?

Just a plug for the Beckler- I still have never done it and want to. Maybe soon on my way to the Sky if flows hold. I would like to see the small rock covered when I run it. I believe it is my ethical responsibility to keep as much plastic on my hull and out of the ecosystem as possible.

So do give me an idea of what it was running when you did it, and how you'd characterise it in terms of low/medium/high, if you could Lisa- thanks!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 2:58pm
Thanks for the update on the location of the wood. Is it so large that it couldn't be removed by a pair of industrious beavers or will we have to wait for floods?
-Jay
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:08pm
I totally hear ya jP on scenery. last weekend I saw stuff on the peninsula that I will never forget. scouting and taking a good look at water, scenery while in my boat, is totally reasons I'm in this sport. When the Sky spikes again I'll go up that way and check out what everyone is talking about.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version