Professor Paddle: Stillaguamish River 5/5 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Stillaguamish River 5/5 Post Reply Post New Topic
jella
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jella Replybullet Topic: Stillaguamish River 5/5
    Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:06am
Hey everyone,

I was reading the news and ran into an article about a rafting death on the Stillaguamish river 5/5....  I'm so sad to hear and sending lots of positive thoughts, energy, and blessings to the family and friends grieving the death. I hope all my river friends are okay!  Does anyone know more information or whom it was?

Thanks & be safe out there!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:34am
Man in his 50's and his wife. Wasn't in Robe Canyon, it was the North Fork near Arlington. He was wearing a life jacket but it came off sometime when he was stuck on logs. Very sad story.

News story1

News story 2

22400 block of SR 530

Edited by Travisimo - 06 May 2013 at 10:41am
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:39am
Tragic and sad.

But I hate the way people always say "The Stilly", or "Stilliguamish"...
Well, which one? So yeah, some of the articles said it was the NORTH fork.

People piss me off the way they pass info along without any real, well, info. I heard from a friend who heard from a friend (starting to sound like an REO SPEEDWAGON SONG) that someone drowned on "The Stilliguamish". I was,on the Green at the time, and the Robe Race was going down. Immediately I was concerned for my friends.

The media sucks. If they would simply include that it was a class II stretch, people would eventually figure out what class II means. And just because some one is in a raft does not make them "a rafter". The distinction being one of qualifications and skills.

And then they say the woman was "ok". How can you be "ok" after your companion dies on the river?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:02am
Originally posted by jP

Tragic and sad.

But I hate the way people always say "The Stilly", or "Stilliguamish"...
Well, which one? So yeah, some of the articles said it was the NORTH fork.

People piss me off the way they pass info along without any real, well, info. I heard from a friend who heard from a friend (starting to sound like an REO SPEEDWAGON SONG) that someone drowned on "The Stilliguamish". I was,on the Green at the time, and the Robe Race was going down. Immediately I was concerned for my friends.

The media sucks. If they would simply include that it was a class II stretch, people would eventually figure out what class II means. And just because some one is in a raft does not make them "a rafter". The distinction being one of qualifications and skills.

And then they say the woman was "ok". How can you be "ok" after your companion dies on the river?

Quite true, JP. The Snoqulmie, Skykomish, Nooksack, etc. etc. so many of the rivers around here that we have whitewater runs on and other non-whitewater sections that are frequently floated (often by those who shouldn't) have main sections and forks... So, it often takes a long time to figure out what the media is talking about when reporting on an incident (or non-incident, as the case sometimes is. Sometimes it's just butter cream). But as they say, talk is cheap and the tales grow taller on down the line.

In any case, this is a sad story, and I feel real bad for the family that is now mourning their loss.

Edited by JoesKayak - 07 May 2013 at 8:16am
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version